Lunch time revelation

HealthyForPNG

I'm not doing strict Whole30 with the kids, but am trying to keep them eating Whole30 at home. My 7 year old is a picky eater, and lunch time and breakfast have been a big struggle. I needed something easy, but she has rejected soup and salad, doesn't like hardboiled eggs, and I can't find compliant lunch meat here. She never pitches a fit, but she will just refuse to eat. She's been eating some fruit and occasionally dinner, but other than that mostly just refusing to eat anything. I realized the other day that she loves chicken drumsticks. I found a package at Kroger for $4 - less than the 1lb package of lunch meat I'd been buying before Whole30 (typically around $6).

I just rubbed the drumsticks with coconut oil, sprinkled some seasoning on them, and popped them in the oven for an hour. Next week I plan to buy several packages and cook them up on the weekend for grab and go lunches or snacks :)

Just sharing in case anyone else is struggling with lunch time!

Now if I can figure out breakfast for her....

Woohoo for chicken drumsticks!!!

I think we sold our kids over with lots of coconut oil and salt.  They're totally suckers for salt!   Breakfasts were the hardest for us for us and our first success was pumpkin pancakes from the Everyday Paleo book.  It's technically not Whole30 because it's a compliant food trying to be a pancake (SWPO), BUT I think with kids, it's okay and it got our two on track.  They like them and they don't leave us feeling bloated or icky.  The next thing we discovered was sweet potato hash with eggs.  At first I grated the sweet potatoes so they looked just like hash browns, but now I just chop em up a whole bunch, cook them with coconut oil, garlic powder and salt (of course) and serve them with eggs.  I'm so thankful it's been a hit!!  Chicken drumsticks are also one of our favorites and last night we did a chicken adobo which used apple cider vinegar which I've recently discovered is another thing my kids love so I plan to try lots of new recipes with vinegars.

Keep sharing any foods that work!

I thought about doing some "pancakes" too, for my picky eater. I know she really liked some that I've made previously that are just mashed bananas and eggs, but sweet potato sounds like a better option than the banana. I don't have any trouble getting fruit down my kiddos!

Archived