I think that's why I'm on Day 65. It's not willpower at all, but some fear of reintro. Maybe unfounded, but I want as many days as I can string together. I have 3 days in San Diego for a conference the first week of august. Last December that same conference cost me a few pounds nd more Hershey kiss wrappers than I could count. I want to do it differently this time.

I think that what you are doing is awesome! My problem was that I didn't really miss grains enough to schedule in a reintro but then when I made the decision to eat something it was take out and am not sure what specifically in the food caused the very apparent mental reaction I had.

You are going to do great at your conference. If nothing else you definitely know now that Hershey kisses are definitely not special and not worth it. 

Life is too short to eat sub standard chocolate.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love reading what Clean July means to everyone!  It's cool that we can all come together, but have our own goals.  So far so good, here.  I got a little hungry last night and really wanted fruit or a snack of some kind.  I had leftover meatballs and zoodles instead.  Today will be interesting, but with some accountability here, I think I can make it a good day.  Happy 4th of July to all those in the US.

Great job eating a proper mini meal instead of a snack! Happy 4th! We can all have a great day!

Good day for me too: just had dinner, now quick shower (I taught Zumba and I'm dripping), then I'm allowed some cocoa with coconut milk and that's it for the day.  Really taking it one day at a time, making sure I don't snack.  I'm not even hungry for them, I just love shoving food in my face!

Happy 4th July to all the 'Mericans! Happy Thursday to the rest of us :D

Love that post workout drip! So satisfying. Though I do wish the sweat would stay out of my eyes. Ouchies! Great choices today!

I totally get the love of shoving food in my face. I definitely feel like I have a better handle on this after 3 or so months of mostly Paleo eating and when I do feel that need now at least its with food and not food like substances. I used to pick at my husbands "food" when I was prepping it or steal his chips and stuff but I don't even remotely desire those things anymore.

Good morning. I'm working from 7-1 today because of a project in limbo. Not feeling sorry for myself. I was supposed to hike for two hours in the Redwoods this morning but will have to pass. Will do it Sunday instead. Keeping my meals simple and right on template. Today is Day 66 for me. Yesterday I worked 11 hours with no breaks, then took a Pilates reformer class. On my walk home I felt ready to chuck it all and get something at a restaurant on he way home. As I drank water, my sanity returned and I knew I was just overtired. Opps avoided. Glad I didn't listen to my feed me monkey!

Have a fun day everyone!

Yuck! Working on a holiday is stinky. Glad you are able to reschedule your hike. My mom and I went to Muir Woods on our trip in February and it was just lovely. I wish we could have spent more time there. When I was in the area for work in 2001 (2002?) we did the hike down to the beach and back up (can't remember where we started) and that was super awesome.

Great job on the restaurant avoidance! Water is a source of sanity for sure!

Not feeling so funny this morning! I can't believe less than half & 40g 85% Lindt has had sucha  negative effect on me, I feel like crap today, so tired from not sleeping properly and queasy tummy :(

I've done 6 W30's since April 2012 - do I get a medal? I'm also 5 lbs heavier than I was when I started :angry:

So my goals for July are to

1) try to enjoy the summer break with the kids & not go crazy/run away

2) cook lots of new meals, use my new big slowcooker for some batch cooking.

3) keep up the exercise classes, 2 x kettlebells, 1x boxfit every week and get rid of those hip "nyomps" of mine ie the nyomp of fat that sticks out on my hips :wacko:

Sorry that you don't feel good today.  :(

Your goals are great! Dare I google nyomps to see what that means?  :ph34r:

Oh sweet! I didn't notice his thread until now, but I am going to hop on the train if that's all right.

My Whole## started June 1st, and I'm now on Day 34. Planning to continue to 50 days, then start reintro on July 21.

I will have to catch up on the thread and post my own goals later today, but glad to have found a support group! :D

Happy 4th of July to those of us celebrating. Started the day off with a bang! Hit my box for the Filthy Fifty WOD. Oh my goodness! That was a KILLER workout! Was thoroughly intimidated when I looked it up before I left the house, but I am so glad I went! Wicked hard, wicked hit, but I did it! And I didn't puke like the overachieving 17 year old....

We are heading to two BBQ's today and our plan is to eat compliantly but enjoy a few beers or glasses of sangria. It is crazy hot and humid here in NH. Enjoy your day however you are celebrating!

My goals for between now and Aug 22:

1. Complete a marathon
  2. Develop a repertoire of lunches for when I go to college in September
  3. Lose some weight. Since I started eating W30 again I've been dropping weight a lot more quickly than last time (shhh, don't tell anyone that I've been on the scales :ph34r: ) and think that 10 stone (140#) might actually be a realistic aim.
  4. Stop trying to convince myself that I deserve certain foods.

My rules:

Food:

• Sticking with W30 template for meals, but not worried about added sugar or sulphites
  • Allowed the occasional off-plan meal, but no more than one meal, once a week
  • I will remember that water is good for me and drink no more than 2 cups of green tea a day
  • I am only allowed to eat expensive chocolate. (A new flavour of Cadburys chocolate is not a good enough reason to eat an entire bar of chocolate)

Alcohol:

• I have two nights out planned, but I will not drink beer. 
  • I will eat beforehand and bring a snack with me. I will by no means eat anything off the buffet because I know that the food won't even taste particularly nice and it's not worth it.
  • I am allowed the occasional cider when the weather is nice, but only what we've brewed in the house.

Exercise:

• I will make a schedule and follow it (4 runs/week non-negotiable, 3 weights sessions) until my 11th of Aug marathon.
  • I won't let having finished my marathon be an excuse to stop running

I think it's a phrase I coined myself for this bit! And weirdly my right nyomp is much bigger than my left!

:lol: I just call mine love handles, but I think nyomp is both more interesting and more accurate.

Well, to share my goals, they are simple:

1. Extend my Whole30 to a Whole50, finishing July 20.

2. Reintroduce (beginning July 21) wheat, soy, dairy, rice, corn, and alcohol for experimental reasons. Also try eating small amounts of sugar or sweetener as opportunities arise and see what happens with my sugar dragon.

3. Continue eating Whole30-style, and off-road responsibly and with peace and joy as opportunities arise.

4. Keep food in its rightful place in my life, that is to say, Food Does Not Control Me; I Make Choices.

Physibeth - I think it's a phrase I coined myself for this bit! And weirdly my right nyomp is much bigger than my left!

pizapcom13729527708633_zps7b3c4143.jpg

Ohhhhhh, we call those love handles on this side of the pond!

You look terrific, nyomps and all! So cute.

Heh, I'd figured it out but I love the explanatory photo :) 

Guys, I have to brag.  I just did the weekly grocery shop and pondered picking up a container of my favourite treat: date and coconut rolls. Just basically dates kind of whipped to a lighter texture and rolled in coconut.  I thought I could put them in the freezer and then I'd have to pre-plan having one as I'd have to get it out of the freezer instead of just mindlessly shoving them in my face.  Then I thought maybe some dark chocolate would be better.  I stood in front of the date rolls.  I stood in front of the chocolate.  I went back to the dates.  And then I told myself I didn't actually NEED either, I'm having a good week and rewarding myself will lead to me scoffing the lot and undoing it.  So I didn't get either!  Went straight to the check out, and got out of there.

Now I'm home and the petulant child in me is stamping its foot screaming "I WANT date rolls!  Why didn't you get any?" and the rest of me is so happy I don't have any in the house.  Shut up naughty monkey mind!  You didn't even say please!

Naughty monkeys are so darn bothersome and they have the worst manners. I remember the monkeys in Thaland sitting up on the electric wires. they screeched and flung poop down on everyone. Really? No manners at all! I really get wanting date rolls. I stood in front of a bin of them the other day. I never buy them but they looked appealing. I had to step away! Great job getting home with neither date rolls or chocolate!

I'm not feeling well. Could be swelling from quitting blood pressure meds, or else food related as this week I reintro'd cooked tomatoes and peppers. Might be that I ate Paleo chili 3x this week. I wouldn't mind so much about rings not going on, but my eyes are itchy and swollen.

Tomorrow will be better! No off road eating today. Kept it simple. Ate. Bit too much watermelon though as I ended up working 10.5 hours instead of 6. I had the watermelon in the fridge for breakfast tomorrow so ate it until I could get home for lunch at 5. I didn't want restaurant food so just made do. Good that I didn't dip into the shredded coconut in my drawer since I want it to really be a treat, not an everyday.

Sophie - Great job walking away from the date rolls!

Calee - I'm sorry about the swelling!  Maybe you're allergic to working 10 hours on a holiday? :)  Good job making do and avoiding the coconut or restaurant food!

I am pretty happy with my eating yesterday.  I went to three parties.  I didn't eat anything at the first party, despite a yummy spread of food and desserts.  At the 2nd, I had one drink and a bit too much dinner, but, other than a taste of baked beans, it was all compliant and good.  At the 3rd, I had 2 of the Paleo Mom monkey bars I brought.  They are ok.  Not sweet enough to really be called dessert, but wholesome enough to feel good about feeding to my kids and filling enough to keep me away from the rest of the food.  Anyway, I feel good about that.  I was tired and hot and cranky, but at least I wasn't adding food woes to that. 

I hope everyone else had a Clean 4th!

Sophie - Great job walking away from the date rolls!

Calee - I'm sorry about the swelling!  Maybe you're allergic to working 10 hours on a holiday? :)  Good job making do and avoiding the coconut or restaurant food!

I am pretty happy with my eating yesterday.  I went to three parties.  I didn't eat anything at the first party, despite a yummy spread of food and desserts.  At the 2nd, I had one drink and a bit too much dinner, but, other than a taste of baked beans, it was all compliant and good.  At the 3rd, I had 2 of the Paleo Mom monkey bars I brought.  They are ok.  Not sweet enough to really be called dessert, but wholesome enough to feel good about feeding to my kids and filling enough to keep me away from the rest of the food.  Anyway, I feel good about that.  I was tired and hot and cranky, but at least I wasn't adding food woes to that. 

I hope everyone else had a Clean 4th!

You did great avoiding all the holiday pitfalls! Smart of you to take those Monkey Bars. What are they? :). With that name, they sound appealing to me. I often have a Larabar in my purse when I know that temptation might be high. I haven't had to eat it very many times but it feels like a to go insurance policy.

I'm doing ok this morning. Still a bit out of sorts as I head into day 67. My eyes feel sandy, body swollen and an almost tiny headache. Not really but pressure in my head. I am so looking forward to the weekend!

I have to remember, food is not a remedy to feeling less than optimal! Herbal tea, maybe. :)

Managed to get through the 4th relatively unscathed. I went to a friend's house who knows about my "food thing" and was super awesome about making some compliant stuff for me. They all ate BBQ chicken and I had plain grilled with s&p. I was quite happy. I brought a farro salad with apples, celery, and balsamic dressing. Since it was my gluten reintro day I figured I'd rather eat that then a boring old hamburger bun. I did have 2 ciders so that was sugar but I planned for it and only had 2 so not terrible. All in all a pretty clean day. No there are no more excuses for a week until I go to my in-laws, good incentive to be really, really clean and work hard for a week. We are taking the bike down to DC then the autotrain to FL and bike to their house. I wanna look as svelte as I can behind my tiny hubinator, and I totally wanna be a hot biker chick!

Oh calee, so sorry you felt rubbish yesterday.  Hopefully you'll continue feeling better and wake up all perky and refreshed in time for Saturday.  

Jen, nice one!  Sounds like a very well navigated national holiday indeed :)

Liz, hot biker chick sounds like a pretty good goal to me.  Nice photo!  (Even though you totally stole the face I'm going to be making when I'm back in my fav Zumba outfit :P )

Another good day for me, though I did put some parmesan on my omelette for dinner.  Hubby had some and I wanted in on it too.  It was part of a meal though, not isolated off-roading, so I'm ok with it.  There will be some non-compliance over the weekend too - special lamb roast I promised hubby tomorrow night, and brunch on Sunday with friends.  But that's ok.  Some non-compliant ingredients, but no nuts or wheat.  And the meals will still look like the template.  I really like that I'm ok with this, not feeling guilty and can look forward to enjoying these meals.  Clean July for the win! :D

My husband wants go out for breakfast and then to the pub to watch the Lions tomorrow. 

So my solution to the temptation of having several drinks.... hair cut at the salon nearby.  I can still watch most of the game, but won't be tempted to spend the morning and afternoon boozing. 

Annabel, I think quite honestly I would rather get a hair cut than spend the day boozing, it make you feel better anyhow! Enjoy it, I totally loved my hair makeover as my W30 reward and I am reminded everytime I look in the mirror of my resolve towards clean eating and a healthy life!

Sophie - Excellent job stepping away from both the date rolls and the chocolate. Those date rolls are so good! Yay to not feeling guilty about planned offroading! 

Calee - I'm having itchy eyes this week too...I'm blaming my alergies though as we've had the windows open so much more this week. I hope you feel better today. Perhaps a week with no tomatoes and peppers and then try them again will give you a more definitive answer? Watermelon is mostly water so if you have to go in excess on fruit that isn't a bad one. 

Jen - Sounds like you did a great job yesterday! I have had non-paleo monkey bars before and they were so good...I'll have to check out Paleo Mom's version...after W30 and reintros of course. 

Liz - How nice of your friend to make some stuff for you! How did the glutten reintroduction go? I agree that farro sounds much better than a hamburger bun. Enjoy preparing for your vacation you hot biker chick you!

Annabel - And the bonus of super cute hair! You go girl!

Morning all! Still trucking away on my W30. Day 26 today. Kept myself very busy yesterday with bodypump, cx, grocery shopping, and cleaning house. Had my own compliant ribs last night while everyone else sucked bbq sauce off their fingers. Had sweet potato while everyone else had corn on the cob and regular potatoes. Ate a lot of fruit while everyone else had rhubarb cake and ice cream. Overall I don't think I've ever eaten so healthy on 4th of July before so I call this a big fat win. 

Gosh that's gone quickly Beth, you're nearly done!  And you have your reintro all planned so it should all be pretty smooth.  Nice one on your healthy 4th July :)

Massive lamb roast is in the oven, it's a whopper.  There were a few legs on sale yesterday as they needed to be cooked this weekend so I got the smallest one which is still 2.8 kg (about 6 lb).  That's hubby's lunches sorted for the rest of the week!  I might have to put some of it in the freezer!  Haven't had roast lamb in AGES, really looking forward to it!

Archived