Grrr. Need meal ideas to use stew meat with what I have on hand *today*

HealthyForPNG

I'm still getting the hang of this new way of eating (Day 10!), so figuring out how much produce and other things I will need is taking some getting used too, especially with four hungry kids eating things up faster than I expect!

I had planned to make some vegetable soup this week, but they've polished off a lot of what I planned to put in it. The stew meat needs to be used today, and I'd really rather not go back to the store if I can help it :/

What I have: beef stew meat, a can of coconut milk, a head of cabbage, frozen broccoli, celery, eggs (we eat SO many eggs at breakfast, I'd rather not use these as a main part of the meal), two zucchini, two tomatoes, an onion, spinach, garlic, an avocado, a can of diced tomatoes, a few apples. Lots of spices, but none of the harder to find things like coconot aminos or compliant fish sauce.

Any ideas? I'm not good at coming up with ways to "throw things together" so I'm stumped!

How about some sort of chili/stew in a crock pot?  You can use the beef stew meat, fresh and diced tomatoes, and zucchini. Saute chopped onion and minced garlic in coconut oil or ghee, and toss in the crock pot with the meat, tomatoes, cubed zucchini and your spices of choice.

I'd make a beef stew using the meat, onions, garlic, tomatoes & celery, maybe chuck the zucchini in towards the end? Serve with cabbage... Then you could cook the eggs with the spinach for breakfast - baked eggs with spinach is good! You could make a simple guacamole with the avocado & a bit of onion & some lime or lemon juice if you have it, & serve that with the stew?

Thanks for the ideas! You all are great :)

GFChris, would you add any extra liquid?

~~~~~~~~~

Hmm ... maybe. Depending on how thick you like your stew. (I made a similar chili with ground turkey and didn't need to add any liquid.)  If you find you want more liquid, you could add water, or a compliant beef or vegetable broth.

How about some sort of chili/stew in a crock pot?  You can use the beef stew meat, fresh and diced tomatoes, and zucchini. Saute chopped onion and minced garlic in coconut oil or ghee, and toss in the crock pot with the meat, tomatoes, cubed zucchini and your spices of choice.

This is what I ended up doing :) No extra liquid. Even my veggie averse husband loved it! I seasoned the meat with salt and pepper and browned before putting it in the crockpot, then cooked the onion in garlic in the juicy goodness left in the pan.

Archived