Reclamation of Self

Lizzard77

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dinner: Sookha Keema, ground beef with garlic, ginger, garam masala, and lemon juice, dry cooked. Served over white sweet potato with homemade yogurt. Mixed veggie salad with fermented beets and fried Indian spices. Soaked lentils with patty pan and cumin. Cucumber booch :)

Second guessing my ability to digest lentils, even soaked ones.  Will have to give them a try again on a day that I don't have dairy.

post-13029-13751429322685_thumb.jpg

post-13029-13751429718314_thumb.jpg

post-13029-13751431423052_thumb.jpg

I feel like I am in a whirlwind!  Yesterday thru Monday is and are crazy!  Yesterday hubs was in a mood and decided to take it out me :angry:  so it was not the best day ever but got through it. 
Breakfast (T): Baked eggs in portobello with roasted turkey and sauteed brussels with tomatoes

Lunch (T): Keema over sweet potato with homemade yogurt

Dinner (T): Pan seared chicken breasts with a pomegranate mustard sauce, butter glazed carrots and radishes, thyme roasted new and sweet potatoes

Breakfast (W): Yellow courgette and carrot crustless quiche with bacon

Lunch (W): Nori wrapped fresh veggies and tuna (eaten while grocery shopping so not to buy too much, still hungry)

Dinner TBE (W): Either Big Fish or PF Chang's, whichever I can find something to eat.

Went to a friend's place this AM as she is moving and had loads of clothes to give away, picked up a few nice things as well as some hang around type stuff.  Don't want to purchase anything new until I have gotten my body to where I want to be.  New I mean first hand, thrift stores do not count as new because they are so inexpensive and I don't feel bad only wearing for a short time. First World mentality but what can I say, that is where I live.

Meeting my ultimate bestie for dinner, she is visiting in from CO and we've been friends since 4th grade.  CANNOT WAIT to see her!!!!!  then tomorrow, heading over to my mom's to hang out, hear all about their trip to Europe and hear about my sister's Llama Trek Adventure Camp (so jealous, wanted to go but was denied application, too old :P )  Will also be swimming in the quarry, grilling foods and hopefully sleeping over if hubs does not throw a temper tantrum.  Need some mom time, still have not seen her since she left for Paris in June! 

Friends coming to stay the weekend.  Loverly WAPF eating folks so will not have to worry about food around them, will likely head into Philly for Reading Terminal Market and purchase all sorts of compliant goodies. 

Have been keeping non-compliant foods to a minimum but am feeling a bit anxious about what little i have been eating, minus the raw dairy.  Need to have one last summer push to be really clean, before I head to a wedding in the beginning of September.  I want to feel as best as possible when there and hope to head off any of my wintertime blues by starting out on a good foot.  Kinda of want to do a pseudo W30 inc. raw dairy so that I have that sort of lock-down mentality......hubinator may kill me!

• 4 months later...

I have been gone awhile and thought maybe it would be good to stop back in.  I have really missed this diary style forum and I have missed my wonderful friends here and have thought of you all often, wondering what was going on in your lives.  I miss you Whole30 Forums!!!

I have been on an interesting journey the last few months.  I have been over at Myfitnesspal tracking my food in a way that I could examine how what I put in my body Fat/Carb/Protein wise affects how my body functions and how I feel.  I have discovered so many new aspects of myself and the wonderful ways food acts as fuel and medicine.  It's been really interesting being able to track my gms of fat and carbs and have a record of how I ate each day and how it made me feel. 

After my W30 in June i had a hard time transitioning back and struggled quite a bit with how food was reacting in my body.  My husband was convinced that the W30 destroyed my ability to digest anything.  On the contrary, i tried desperately to explain, I finally was aware of how food made me feel and I had realized that sluggishness, exhaustion, depression, and "tummy trouble" was due to the types of food I was eating.  He suggested that I begin  food diary where I tracked everything I put in my body and how I felt during different times of the day.  I really enjoyed, and continue to enjoy this process.  I have learned a lot from it.  And I proved him wrong :) 

I currently am following a 90/10 primal/WAPF lifestyle, with the WAPF end of it dwindling as time goes on.  As I get healthier I realize more and more that I do not want certain foods in my life or my body!  I have also found that I function really well eating low carb/high fat.  I am currently eating between 30-50 gms of carbs a day and 110-130 gms of fat.  I am kind of dancing around with ketosis but am not serious enough about it to test whether I have dropped into it.  I also do not wish to allow myself the obsessive behavior patterns that would assuredly raise their ugly heads if I did attempt serious ketosis.  I am happy enough analyzing how I feel when I have had too many carbs, or too few on heavy workout days.

I have become highly dedicated to strengthening my body.  Focusing mostly on weight lifting with some hiit and cardio mixed in.  I have fallen in love with kickboxing, and dance fusion.  Weight lifting has become, by far, my favorite way to work out and I am amazed at the strength I have gained.  In fact, yesterday we moved our bikes in for the winter and at one point we had to haul it out of divet in the yard.  Unbeknownst to me, my hubs had lost his footing and I had pulled the bike up and out on my own strength!  Hubs looked back at me and said "You just did that, you just pulled it out on your own!"  I practically dropped the bike in excitement!!  I have never been a strong person, physically.  I even discovered that I can do burpees!  I am not quite at a full pushup yet but i can do about 10 "girl" pushups.  3 months ago I couldn't do one and had to be fully on all fours to even accomplish a small dip.  These milestones keep me going and I have come to detest rest days (even though I know I need them) and will still do some russian twists and stretching so to keep my body moving. 

Mentally I have become a much stronger person.  I joined a healing group that meets a couple times a month.  We do a combination of meditation, energy work, discussion, active listening, and all sorts of other mind opening exercises.  Through this group I have discovered how to open myself up and allow my self to be loved by others and most importantly, loved my myself.  I have discoved that it is ok to say "I am an amazing person and I have a lot to offer others".  I have learned that it is not a selfish act to take pride in one's self and to believe that my actions have value in this world.  Everyday I am loving myself more and more and in turn that is allowing me to love those around me so much more. 

I am still a work in progress and hope to always be so but I am so much more sure of my path now.  I am so much more confident making the choices I need to, to be the person I want to be.

I am planning on doing another W30 in January.  I am so excited to do it again.  Now that I have one under my belt and know what to expect, I think this one will be a great success.  Not that the first one wasn't, I mean, it got me to this place in my life.  However, I know how to make it happen more effectively now. 

As I started, I have missed you my friends and I certainly have much to catch up on.  So I'm going to settle back with a cup of tulsi tea and begin reading.

Slushy slurpy morning.  Had two inches of snow yesterday, supposed to ice rain all day, then tomorrow 3-6 inches of snow.  Yuck, I dislike snow immensly!  Oh well, good day to stay inside and create delicious food items.  Today I am attempting cashew nut cheese.  I found the recipe in Against All Grain cookbook and the nuts only need 6 hours to soak.  Kinda really excited.  Tomorrow for lunch (planning ahead already) I'm gonna make beet salad with nut cheese, grated lemon rind, and olive oil, probably tinned tuna or makerel on the side.  Hubs made an amazing chicken bone broth overnight, I fell asleep to the delicious smell.  A little jealous, he used the chicken feet a friend gifted me.  I wanted to turn them into buffalo chicken feet but I think stock is a better use.  I have drinking about a cup of it with lunch everyday so they will go farther as stock. 

Desperately need to clean my pantry and laundry room.  I want to get the pantry cleaned out before we leave for Florida for Christmas so when we come home I can stock it with fabulous W30 goodies.  I also need to do the laundry room because it has become fermenting central as it is the warmest room in the house.  I want to get some yummy fresh ferments going for January as well as start a ginger bug.  Like I need more fermented drinks to care for!!!  Currently my booch is doing well after a horrific attack of gnats, TG for SCOBY hotels!  I tried some new flavors this week, Coconut lime and hibiscus tangerine.  Waiting, waiting, waiting.....want to open now!  My water kefif has been giving off a funky flavor even after only 1 day ferment, might be time to give the grains a bit of a rest.  course they will have to rest when we leave next week so may try to salvage a batch or two before then.

Attempting to transition off dairy over the next few weeks so when Jan hits I am not desperate for it like I was the first W30.  making some almond milk today to use in my AM tea.  I have come to love BPT but will miss the small addition of coconut crystals i have gotten so used too. I need to buy more but think I will just let myself run out so they are not there to tempt me!  It's funny, I have settled so well into a primal rythm but am trying to bring my awareness back around to what will have to be cut out again.  I don't want to plan too hard as I hyped myself up too much for the last round that I was frustrated and dissapointed.  My food has become habit though so I need to be mindful of breaking some non-compliant motions.  I haven't told the hubs yet that I am planning this, I think he will be fine with it but it's a careful rope to walk as he feels I spent way too much money last time.  I think I am well armed with the game plan though as I now have 4+ months of practice under my belt.

Trying to get motivated to workout today.  Once I get going I love it but this AM is so frosty that I am super happy in my PJs with a cup of tea and my computer!  I also have to pick up the living room from the weekend before I can workout so that always slows my progression towards exercise.  There was a new workout released on bodyrock.tv today though that I am excited to try.  Today is upper body strength day.  My calves still need a bit of a rest from last week.  I tried SleekScuplt Express by Ellen Barrett and there was a lot of tippy toe work that my body is not used to.  Magnesium to the rescue! 

I also want to spend some time today coming up with an affirmation "advent" calendar.  I know we are week into advent but I love the idea of having an affirmation to open everyday to help me remember how special my body and myself is.  I think I will type up a bunch then print them and cut them apart, then put them into a bowl so I can pull one every morning while brushing my teeth.  Starting the day with a good thought about myself (instead of hopping onto the scale) seems like a great way to get motivated.  Speaking of motivation...

I guess I should stop procrastinating and get to it......

And she's off to the races! I still don't have my booch going and my pickles are still in my fridge untouched because the only one I tried was kinda too soft. I should just ditch them. I need fermentation lessons and a hand holder! Maybe when our unusual cold snap lifts I will finally try the booch. I have been using chicken feet in my bone broth and it is lovely! I've been bad about pulling from the pot that has been bubbling on my counter all week. I need to do that today and set it to rest. I think getting into a good rhythm is so key to success and I still have not found one since moving to this apartment.

To less procrastination and more productivity!  

Long but productive day.  I got the pantry cleaned and the whole back sink area including some cabinets that have become junk collectors.  Everything takes longer than I think it will so I never got around to working out.  I was on my feet all day and moving but I am going to work in some twists, crunches, and pushups at the very least.  Still have my nut cheese  (hehe) to make tonight but that's cool, kind of wired.  I have had so much energy the last few days, I wonder if the turmeric I have been adding to my BPT has some effect on that...who knows any more! 

Meal 1: Cabbage and carrots sauteed in bacon fat with radishes, parsley and a fried egg on top

Meal 2: Lefotver homemade buffalo chicken wings (from dinner last night) and celery

Meal 3: Prosciutto wrapped cod with sauteed beets and Organic Girl Super Greens with a beet beurre blanc.  Yes!  I mad beurre blanc for the first time.  Pretty exciting, I love learning a new sauce, especially one that contains 4 oz of butter!

Totals cals:1,742 fat:144 protein:91 fiber:8 sugar:18 carb:27

Meals 1 and 3

the next few days are going to be a little nuts.  Hubs has a business meeting on Long Island tomorrow and I am going out to dinner with my girlfriends, we will pass like ships in the night.   Wednesday he has a dinner meeting so I don't have to worry about feeding him that evening.  Easy peasy, will grab a steak maybe for me.  Then Thurs is the next meeting of my healing group, Foundations.  http://ishealing.com/, that is an all day affair so he will be on his own for BLD. 

I am making my friend a healing basket for her birthday.  She spend most of winter battling cold and flu so I am making a few of my favorite home remedies including Fire Cider and Honey Citrus Syrup.  I will also include some pomegranates and Tulsi tea. 

Whelp, off to make my nut cheese (hehe) then some tea and probably bed, maybe a little looking through the forums before I turn off the lights :)

post-13029-13866327411093_thumb.jpg

post-13029-13866327796079_thumb.jpg

I will take a look at where my protein should be.  My focus has been on my fat/carb ratio and intake but if it seems too low i will certainly make adjustments.  I average around 25-30% protein per day (looking back through MFP logs). 

Snowy, snowy, snowy!!  We've gotten 2 inches in the last hour or so.  Schools are all cancelled for the day, hub's meeting in NY was cancelled, and my dinner plans were cancelled.  Now if only my foot doctor would call and cancel I could spend the day in my PJ's happily puttering around the house! 

Have not eaten yet this AM, feeling a little off and not super hungry.  i know i need to eat because I have to workout today, never got around to it yesterday.  Probably gonna eat a boiled egg and some bone broth then workout.  That usually kickstarts my hunger and will be ready for a meal afterward.  Feeling really high energy though, I have slept straight through the night the last two nights and it has been glorious!!  Asleep between 11 and 11:30 then awake between 6:30 and 7.  Works for me! 

I have to write my meal plan and grocery list today.  In an effort to ready myself for Jan I am going to aim for closer to template meals and continue to limit my dairy.  Speaking of, my nut cheese turned out really well.  Am going to pick up some cucumbers to spread it on.  Will be great to take for lunch on Thurs for my hippy healing group.  I hope they have a microwave there as I really would like to take some bone broth with me.  I have become very accustomed to having it in the afternoon.  And I have no idea what i will do without my afternoon BPT!! 

Had a horrendous sugar craving last night!  I just couldn't shake it.  I finally gave in and had a scoop of the coconut milk/cacao drinking chocolate I had made over the weekend.  Bad idea, it i had taken my hand blender to it it would have tasted just like dark chocolate mousse.  Trying to forget I even had that thought.  I really want these cravings to go away.  i was hoping that with the lower carbs in my system it would help.  I know a lot of people find relief from cravings when they follow a keto like plan.  I guess mine is psycological rather that physical.  Aah those sugar dragons.  Another good reason for me to do another W30! 

I guess I'll leave off here for the moment.  As much as i don't want to I should motivate towards starting my day :)

Tired tonight so bare basics:

Workout -45 min kickboxing, Guillermo Gomez and 20 minutes Back and Biceps + 50 Russian Twists and 50 Crunches.

Had very little interest in food today but made myself eat. 

Meal 2-Cottage cheese, hard boiled egg, Wild Planet tuna in olive oil, walnuts. Small sweet potato with butter, 2 cups chicken bone broth

Meal 3 -Mushroom and bucheron stuffed pork tenderloin, roasted acorn squash, mashed white beans with crumbled bacon

Extras -BPT with turmeric, Natural Calm, Butter oil/FCLO, sprouted pretzel with cream cheese, tulsi tea

Totals 1,474 F95 P84 Fi16 S15 C72

And, Goonight.

Busy busy couple of days.  I had my spiritual healing group which is a two hour drive from my house, usually in traffic.  I love going but I feel so emotionally drained afterwards.  It takes a day or two to begin feeling the effects of the work we do in the group.  My back also hurts this AM from an exercise we did: seated on the floor cross legged arms outstretched, reaching for the sun, envisioning drawing the sun's light and power into the circle of our arms then pulling it down over us flowing over each chakra.  It was a wonderful exercise but I think I may have been reaching with too much intensity, I really feel it in my upper back!!

Food has been spotty as we tend to nourish our souls more than our physical bodies.  I need to learn that it is ok to get up for a moment to go put something in my tummy!  We only get a short break during our sessions and although I bring lunch, everyone likes to chat and get to know eachother during that time.  I go home feeling emotionally drained and physically empty.  I need to get over myself and just eat my damn lunch!  Wednesday and Thursday were not my shining moments in food but I managed to eat a good dinner of Cinnamon Beef Stew and Mashed garlic cauliflower and sweet potato.  Starting today on the right foot:

Meal 1: 1 cup of brussels sauteed in bacon grease with radicchio, chorizo, and a fried egg.  2 cups of assam with homemade almond milk.  I have a hard boiled egg prepped and ready to go for post workout and will probably heat up a sweet potato as well.

I am going to try another Guillermo Gomex kickboxing workout on youtube today.  I have really gotten into his workouts but don't really want to buy any as my tastes are capricious!

On another note, I am really anxious about going to Florida for Christmas.  When we went over the summer I was 2 weeks off my first W30, had done my re-intros, and had been very specific about what I could and could not eat.  I vigilantly shopped for myself the first day we were there and had some food ready to go but was thwarted at every turn.  I spent the week with a gurgly stomach, joint pain, and diarrhoea.  That is not how I want to spend this upcoming week.  i am steeling myself for the little comments and jabs, those I can live through and brush off but the availability of good food is going to be a problem.  I wont have my arsenal of a pantry or fridge at my finger tips and can't stock everything I would like to have around.  I am struggling to come up with a game plan.  Especially since Christmas day is going to be a big meal that is beginning to look like a bunch of stuff I can't/won't eat.  Luckily my SIL sent me a recipe she is making and asked me to "health" it up for her.  Gladly!  And she was super excited about the changes.  My MIL has a very hard time getting around due to being severely obese with horribly damaged knees and spinal stenosis however, she still wants to prepare some items herself, I do understand.  I have offered to make the ham so we don't end up with a refined sugar laden spiral sliced chunk of carboard but I have not gotten a response to that.  I am going to insist on making some garlicky greens and we will likely have beans which luckily I can soak for a few days with kombu before hand.  As for dessert, she is making a family recipe pie which I wont eat but I don't want to offend anyone.  I am bringing the makings for a grain free paleo crust and think I will make a chocolate truffle pie (no sugar) that I made for my birthday and was delicious.  If I can find organic cream I will at least make whipped cream for everything.  I am also stressed about the daily menus, I have been really feeling good and don't want to mess it up!!  TSA is going to have a field day with my Natural Calm, Gelatin, FCLO, and pie crust mixes!  Definitely going to check a bag, much to my husband's dimay, oh well!

My advice for the holiday is to try not to make a big deal about it and make the best decisions you can. My parents were pretty open to trying paleo for the week I was home which was helpful but there were definitely things different about the way they interpreted it and I implement it. For example the first night I was there was a fine meal of chicken and Brussels but was devoid of fat. So the next day I offered to make homemade mayo for them. I made my own breakfast most mornings so I had full control over at least one meal and I helped with the holiday meal as much as possible. Just remember stressing over things could lead to symptoms that would possibly not be there if you didn't stress over it. Do the best you can and let the rest go. 

Archived