Fuelling suggestions??

bookworm05

I'm in a marathon training group and we run Tuesday and Wednesday nights and Sunday mornings. I'm in a bit of a predicament. Nighttime runs are a 6pm and if I were to eat dinner before I left I would be starving as soon as I came home so I've been eating dinner afterwards. I really feel like I need something right before I go though. Any suggestions? 

Also, the idea of eating my breakfast before I run at 8:30 in the morning doesn't work for me. Does anyone run after eating a small snack first thing in the morning and then have breakfast immediately afterwards? I figured the strategy here might be a little bit different since I've been fasting all night, but I'd much rather have a big meal after my workout instead of before. 

Oh, and I am overweight by about 20lbs if that makes a difference. 

actually...the recommendation from whole9 is that you avoid carbs in your pre-workout snack. Pre-workout, eat something that is primarily protein and fat. POST-workout, eat something that is mainly carbs and protein (low fat). This will help ensure your body remains fat-burning during the workout (without using up the easy sugars in that banana first). Fat slows down digestion, so keeping it to carbs and protein post-workout will quickly replenish glycogen stores and provide protein that your muscles need for rebuilding.

Re-read the part for athletes and had protein and fat pre-run (some compliant deli meat and walnuts). Ran 10miles and surprisingly felt great. I slowed my pace because its been crazy hot and I was totally dreading going but now that I'm done I definitely don't feel like I ran 10 miles. I also did not feel the need to have any fuel during the run (which I usually do at anything over 8miles). Anyone else experience this? When do you distance runners fuel during long runs?

I tend to run between 11 and 11:30 minute miles right now (because of inconsistent training and weight gain, not W30 eating) and haven't felt the need to fuel up to 14 miles.

I ran 16 a few weeks ago and took one gel, but think I could have gotten away without it. But, I've got a marathon coming up next month and wanted to make sure that I had a gel that I could stomach. 

Okay, good to know annabel. I was trying to use dried fruit as fuel since it's technically compliant but I'll avoid using at all if I can. I've got a half the second week of August. Depending on how that goes, I'll decide if I need to switch back to gels after whole30 for marathon training. 

• 2 weeks later...

I just started my Whole30 a couple of days ago and am up to 10 mile long runs for my marathon training. I intend to eat a hb egg before my run this weekend and sweet potato/fruit and some chicken post. Since its so hot and runs are only getting longer, I was wondering if anyone had tried Elete electrolyte. I was thinking of getting some as I usually use Nuun and that's not Whole30 compliant.

not a runner but I do an hour of hot yoga early mornings and have a hardboiled egg and 1/2 a small avocado(though you could do mayo too) and directly after a 20 oz bottle of water with about 2/3 cup coconut water and some sort of squash and either leftover meat or canned fish.  before I would have had a banana before and been ravenous and shakey by the end of class, now i'm hungry when I finish but can last until I get home and cook and I feel strong from start to finish.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in a marathon training group and we run Tuesday and Wednesday nights and Sunday mornings. I'm in a bit of a predicament. Nighttime runs are a 6pm and if I were to eat dinner before I left I would be starving as soon as I came home so I've been eating dinner afterwards. I really feel like I need something right before I go though. Any suggestions? 

Also, the idea of eating my breakfast before I run at 8:30 in the morning doesn't work for me. Does anyone run after eating a small snack first thing in the morning and then have breakfast immediately afterwards? I figured the strategy here might be a little bit different since I've been fasting all night, but I'd much rather have a big meal after my workout instead of before. 

Oh, and I am overweight by about 20lbs if that makes a difference. 

Hi! I am training for a half and do my long runs at 7 am, or there abouts. The only thing I might eat before running is a couple boiled eggs. After the run, I'll eat eggs, bacon, etc. I don't like to run on a full meal either.

For your evening runs, maybe you could do the same - a boiled egg and a piece of fruit or something light like that.

Re-read the part for athletes and had protein and fat pre-run (some compliant deli meat and walnuts). Ran 10miles and surprisingly felt great. I slowed my pace because its been crazy hot and I was totally dreading going but now that I'm done I definitely don't feel like I ran 10 miles. I also did not feel the need to have any fuel during the run (which I usually do at anything over 8miles). Anyone else experience this? When do you distance runners fuel during long runs?

I have been told by Paleo marathoners that it is not necessary to fuel during a half marathon... not sure I agree, but if you're eating Paleo/Whole30 and you feel that good after a 10 miler on so little food, maybe there's some truth to it. So given that, maybe fuel at the 13 mile mark?

I would believe that. I did a 15-miler and only ran on my pre-run meal and coconut water during my run. This was my first significant distance without fuel... I felt decent when I finished and feel like had I eaten something small around 10-11 miles, I could have finished stronger, but i was still happy with what I accomplished and I know it'll only improve from here.

Archived