Raw Milk Vs Grass-Fed Milk

Hey All,

So I'm to the re-intro portion of my diet and I was reading up on raw milk......I was looking at first putting dairy back in but I'm concerned about the dangers of raw milk....like with raw milk cheese...

Was/Is anyone feeling the same way? Do you just do grass-fed?

Thank!

I don't think there is a danger with raw milk cheeses since they are aged over 60 days (usually; look for that) and the acids/salts kill any listeria that would be present.  If you look at statistics, raw milk cheeses are NOT the problem with cases of listeria from dairy.  Only 2 instances of listeria from raw milk cheeses in the CDC database (someone else did that search; not me) vs 3 cases of listeria in pasteurized cheeses.  Equal danger?  Of course the reporting is a woeful underestimate of the real occurrence, but it is likely the incidence is the same at best.  

Another searchable database, going back to 1983, found 6 cases of listeria in all raw milk products vs 7 in pasteurized dairy products.

I think it was www.outbreakdatabase.com

The powers that be are giving you a false sense of security.  Equal issue.

I would like to try raw milk myself.  I'll get my hands on it one day.  My MD husband will not let me give it to the kids.

When I was a kid (way, way back in the day) we used to get raw milk from a neighbor. It was awesome! But, the risks of listeria outweigh the great flavor & texture.

In some states, it's expressly illegal to sell raw milk to consumers. In other states, it's technically legal to sell raw milk to consumers but not legal to sell other raw milk products. Here's a link about the pasteurized milk ordinance and raw milk statutes:

http://www.realmilk.com/state-updates/raw-milk-statutes-and-codes-page-1/

I just tested whatever dairy I might want in the future. I had organic half and half in my morning coffee, a slice of havarti cheese at lunch and a spinach/artichoke dip made with cream cheese at dinner.

Archived