Brands of coconut milk that are compliant?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the book said not to use light coconut milk, regardless of the ingredients list being compliant.  Is that right and if so, why? I'm still freaking out about eating so much more fat than usual as I've had gall bladder problems in the past and have been told to limit fats.

Unfortunately sulfites are one of the things that are really bad for the body. I would stop using it immediately and, if at all possible, I'd add another 7 days to my W30 so you get the benefits of 30 clean days. Have you tried Amazon for coconut milk, that's where I get mine. I'm in the UK but I get 12 cans of TRS coconut milk, delivered free of charge for just over $19

I also bought a dozen cans from Amazon. It came out to less than buying individual cans from WF and the milk is very good (and I don't have to lug them home from the store). I have been continuing to use it in my coffee and in cooking. I love the fact that it's a fat that is available for energy immediately and is better than dairy fat. It may be time to order another case.

Lizzie, light coconut milk is fine. It's just regular coconut milk mixed with water. It's usually a better value to buy the regular.

I've bought the TraderJs light version, but my favorite is the WholeFoods 365 brand. I found ArroyD at my local Asian grocery, but it tastes too watery to me (even though water isn't an ingredient).

• 2 weeks later...

I've been to several stores in the last few days, and all the cans of coconut milk include sulfites. Discouraging. (Including the Thai brand)

Are you sure you're not confusing Thai Kitchen with Taste of Thai?

Taste of Thai's coconut milk contains sulfites. Thai Kitchen's coconut milk does not.

Are you sure you're not confusing Thai Kitchen with Taste of Thai?

Taste of Thai's coconut milk contains sulfites. Thai Kitchen's coconut milk does not.

Thanks GFChris for mentioning that! I am probably confusing the two. That is hopeful news!

I also was reading nom nom paleo's blog post about coconut milks, and I think our local Foodland carries Hawaiian Sun frozen (fresh) coconut milk...I'll be checking it out tomorrow to see if they have it, and hopefully it will simply be: coconut milk, and no other additives.

For anyone else interested, I found this really easy to use, convenient list of food additives and what they do, how they potentially affect the body: http://www.cspinet.org/reports/chemcuisine.htm#safety_summary

Weird, I just checked the Taste of Thai lite coconut milk in my cabinet, and the ingredients list is coconut, water, guar gum.

Weird indeed. When I googled the ingredients, I swear  it said "contains sulfites." (of course I can't find that site now) 

• 2 years later...
  • Moderators

914nT33PssL._SY679SX436_SY679_CR,0,0,436414FLENsigL._SX522_.jpg

Yes, this one is compliant, but just a note for anyone looking at buying coconut milk: There's absolutely no reason to buy the Lite version, unless that's truly the only thing you find that's compliant. The only difference between Lite coconut milk and regular is the amount of water added. Coconut milk is basically coconut blended with water. If you buy the Lite ones, you're just buying a mix of more water and less coconut. If you can find canned coconut cream (I've found it at Sprouts before), you're getting even less water (still some, but less). If I'm spending money on it, I want the most coconut and least water I can find at a decent price, so unless the Lite is the only option, or it's way, way cheaper, I'll go with the regular one every time.

• 2 months later...
  • Moderators

I'm totally confused here. All the canned coconut milk I'm looking up as 1g of sugar in it, even the "approved" brands that are mentioned. 

All fruits, vegetables, and even nuts and seeds have naturally occurring sugars, those are fine on Whole30. What isn't allowed is sugar or other sweetener added as an ingredient. So, look for the ingredient list on the cans of coconut milk, and see what they contain. Ideally, just coconut and water, although many contain guar gum, which is okay. If they list sugar in the ingredients, that's not okay, and a few brands list carrageenan, that's also not okay.

• 1 year later...
  • Moderators
3 hours ago, J Cox said:

Isn't there a difference in taste between canned coconut milk and the coconut milk found in the cartons in the refrigerated section?

Most of the ones in the refrigerated cartons are a blend of coconut and almond or other nut milks, at least the ones I've seen, so yes, there will be a different taste. They also seem less creamy to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Any suggestions or thoughts on how to keep Coconut Milk or Cream after opening the can? I almost never use the entire amount at once. I think some labels suggest storing the coconut in another container after opening. Is this necessary, or advised by W30? How long should coconut last once opened, assuming it's refrigerated? 

32 minutes ago, Ermatlanta said:

some labels suggest storing the coconut in another container after opening

I do this with anything in a can. I have a couple of tupperwares for liquids, or I'll use a mason jar if I have a spare one - something that seals tight to help keep it for longer.

• Moderators

4 hours ago, Ermatlanta said:

Any suggestions or thoughts on how to keep Coconut Milk or Cream after opening the can? I almost never use the entire amount at once. I think some labels suggest storing the coconut in another container after opening. Is this necessary, or advised by W30? How long should coconut last once opened, assuming it's refrigerated? 

Yes, you should definitely not store coconut milk in the can once opened... I also used to store it in a mason jar but the ring would rust so there must be some acidic value of coconut milk and I would think it also probaly would rust the original can also unless it's bpa lined, which is not ideal either.

• Whole30 Certified Coach

I only buy AroyD (I think it tastes the best).  I used to just keep it in the can once opened (didn't know better) but now keep it in a mason jar with a plastic lid.  Target sells plastic lids for wide mouth and regular ball jars.  It keeps 5 days or so for me this way vs going bad in 2 in the can.

Archived