Hello!  My name is Caroline, and I'm a new member of the Whole30 program.  In fact, today is my first day of Whole30.  I'm seeking the wisdom of those with experience in maintaining athletic performance while doing Whole30.  Any information, advice, or suggestion would be most appreciated. 

I joined CrossFit last week, and I love it.  Though I haven't done every workout RX, I have enjoyed the atmosphere, the competitive nature of the program, the supportive camaraderie, and the sweat.  I have been doing CrossFit 5 days/week and completing the WODS.  I'm also running 2 days/week.  Though I'd like to work up to more run days, I'm also trying to help my body recover.

This brings me to my question: what tips do you have for someone who is trying to maintain athletic performance while completing the Whole30?

Thank you for your time!

Best,

Caroline

• Moderators

You are almost certain to experience some performance degradation for the first two weeks of Whole30 eating as your body adjusts to the absence of refined carbs and fewer carbs overall as fuel. My advice is to just accept it and understand that your performance will come back stronger than ever as your body adjusts. I was amazed at how my performance improved starting in about the third week.

And I agree with Chris74, 5 WODS plus running is a lot. If you are young enough, you can get away with it for a while, but high volume intensity cannot be sustained for long.

Thank you, both!  

Chris74,  I have been doing WODs on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday.  My running days are Tuesday (after the WOD) and Thursday (otherwise a rest day).   So, I'm entirely resting on Sunday and just doing a light run on Thursday.  Does this still seem like overtraining?  I'm new to all of this, so I appreciate the suggestion!

Tom, thank you for this insight!  It really makes sense.  What is your opinion of the training regimen?  Does this seem excessive?  

Yeah it certainly seems like overtraining. Your body will go through A LOT doing CF 5 times a week as it is. For many who just do CF five times a week can be a lot. Some of our most intensely fit Crossfitters often take more than two days a week for recovery, compete recovery days. Basically you are taking one rest day. Your performance in the gym will eventually suffer without proper recovery. Most of the runners in our box gave up most of their running and still have found their race times improve. Those who still focus on running often only do WODs two or three times a week. Your body can't maintain that level of intensity for long without giving up something whether its performance, injury, or general exhaustion.

I run 3x weekly, ride my bike 2-3 times a week, do yoga 1x and weight train 2-3 times a week. Oh and swim hopefully 2 times a week. So I probably would say that that is not too much:)

When I first started W30. the first 2 weeks were rough energy wise. Took me a couple more weeks to be able to tolerate my 2-a-day workouts. Give it time and you will eventually get back up to speed and then some! I have less issues with rollercoaster blood sugar stuff during long training rides etc.

The WOD's are pretty intense!  Are you training for a race?  If so, what distance?  Like Tom said, you will definitely feel a decrease in performance around week 2.  Make sure you eat plenty of carb rich veggies and enough protein and fat.  Your body will need it after the WOD's!  If you are just running to do something different and not training for a specific distance, you should be ok with that level of training-especially if you are a youngster! 

I have been doing CrossFit since January and am finally on summer vacation and can work out in the morning.  I'm doing CrossFit on M-W-F and running on T-Th-Sa (or Sunday depending on plans).  My T-Th runs are generally easy and I sometimes swap them out for a bike ride if the mood strikes.  I try to run a minimum of 6-10 on the weekend.  I use summer as a time to relax and do the workouts that I WANT to do and don't worry so much about my performance-I just listen to my body.  I'll ramp up my running and cut back to two day a week CrossFit workouts when school starts again and I start training for my October half marathon.

Make sure you listen to your body.  Rest when you are tired and make sure you eat enough-which might seem like more than you are used to at first!  Good luck!

Thank you, all!  I so appreciate the counsel. 

Colleen,  thank you!  I am not currently training for a race.  At this point, I'm running trails for pleasure and to add another variation of cardio training.  I have goals of training for a half-marathon, and I know I'll need to cut back CF when I am training for that.  My maximum distance runs aren't over five miles right now; I'm just enjoying it!  Thank you for the tips about the carb rich veggies.  I'll be sure to incorporate plenty of those.  Thanks again!

I am an active obstacle course racer and competitive CF'er who just started the whole thirty a week ago. I run 3-4x's/week and CF3-5x's/ week. As long as u concentrate on taking in the proper pre and post workout meals and spend a great deal on mobility training as well (assuming your young in age) you will have no issues with your current training regimen. I have been personal training clients for 10 yrs and I wouldn't normally recommend a 6-7 day/ wk training routine. I am basing this off of how I do it which is sometimes 2 a days and with one full rest/wk, and one just mobility day per wk.

Archived