Sunbutter ok, but seed oils not?

• Moderators

Seed oils are especially bad for cooking because the heat causes them to break down in unhealthy ways. Sunbutter is not ideal, but is okay in limited amounts because you generally don't cook with it. That said, almond or cashew butter would be a better choice.

Seed oils are especially bad for cooking because the heat causes them to break down in unhealthy ways. Sunbutter is not ideal, but is okay in limited amounts because you generally don't cook with it. That said, almond or cashew butter would be a better choice.

And most seed oils are refined even before they are heated in cooking. Seed/nut butters are not. Seed oils are highly inflammatory.

• 1 year later...

I am allergic to tree nuts.  I have been UN-able to find sunbutter with no added sweetener within a 3 hour drive.  However, I can find organic unsweetened peanut butter.  Is the peanut butter any "worse" than sunbutter?  Can somebody explain why?

I am allergic to tree nuts.  I have been UN-able to find sunbutter with no added sweetener within a 3 hour drive.  However, I can find organic unsweetened peanut butter.  Is the peanut butter any "worse" than sunbutter?  Can somebody explain why?

If you're on a Whole30, peanut butter is not allowed, as peanuts are a legume.  No legumes on a Whole30.

You can get unsweetened sunbutter online. Amazon has it.

I read the book.   

My point is that I am trying to understand what makes the legumes "worse" if you are using it sparingly same as you are also supposed to use sun butter sparingly. 

I must live in the real world and a jar of sun butter from amazon runs about $13 per jar.

peanuts are particularly problematic because they attract a toxic mold called Asergillus Flavus that causes an inflammitory response for many people. Eating peanut butter is not ok during a whole30 for anyone for that reason (and of course, since they are a legume, and that has digestive implications as well). Nut and seed butters are nice, but they are not required. There are better sources of fat out there for you to choose, and you may find no need for nut and seed butters during your whole30 at all. That said, tahini is also a seed butter that is more easily available without sugar (look in the ethnic section-it is made of sesame seeds). It works well in most recipes that call for sunbutter.

That is helpful.  Thank you. 

The nut allergy is sometimes problematic on this program when I need an easy protein (that I like!) to go with a snack.  Tahini is a great idea for a recipe substitute!  Yay.  We do have it locally.  Thank you, again.

That is helpful.  Thank you. 

The nut allergy is sometimes problematic on this program when I need an easy protein (that I like!) to go with a snack.  Tahini is a great idea for a recipe substitute!  Yay.  We do have it locally.  Thank you, again.

Keep in mind that nuts aren't a really good source of protein anyway. They are pretty much just a fat source.

If you need to snack, try to make it a "mini-meal" with animal protein, veggies and fat. Meatballs are a great option for the protein, or egg or meat muffins.

I just read the chapter in the book about seed oils. I had picked up some sunbutter the previous day to make the sunshine sauce and paleo pad thai. Now I'm so paraniod I just want to take it back to the store. I opted to use Almond butter instead in my sauce. Tasted great.

Am I being too strict by not having the sunbutter?

As long as the sunbutter isn't a food-with-no-brakes for you (eg, you're buying it to eat by the spoonful), I think there's no problem with using what you've bought. (If you're on a W30, of course, that's provided that your sunbutter is completely unsweetened.) If all you're doing with it is making sunshine sauce and that kind of thing, no problem. That said, if you don't want another container in the fridge or just prefer the almond butter, that works too.

Archived