Day 12: I'm a believer!

MicheeGirl

I am now on Day 12 of Whole30. While I haven't experience "tiger blood yet," I have experienced something COMPLETELY crazy that has made me a believer into the correlation of what you eat to how your body feels/heals. 

I've been plagued with plantar fasciitis ALOT since March (when I did a local St Patrick's Day 5K run). Since then, I will have okay days and bad days, but since March, I hadn't really had a "good" day. In addition, somehow while trying to make it better, I messed up my left hip. The last month or so, I SWEAR I feel like I've aged 30 years due to these stupid ailments. I blamed it on turning 40, but felt SOOOO discouraged because no matter how hard I'd try to "keep on keepin' on," I was just hurting. Not workout sore, but like injury pain. Anyway...  This last Monday (Day 8 of Whole30), I was walking down the hall in my office and suddenly realized "I'm not limping, my feet don't hurt, my hip doesn't hurt." I KID YOU NOT, I WAS 99% pain free! I figured it may be a fluke, but Tuesday... 99% PAIN FREE! Wednesday morning I met with my trainer so he aggravated my foot and hip a little (he calls it "strengthening" them, lol), so I've been limping a little the last couple days, BUT... Whereas before I'd be hobbling around the office, I'm still 80% PAIN FREE since Wednesday. In barely a week such a drastic change. I know it's what I'm eating because NOTHING else has changed. So crazy and unbelievable.

Also, my absolute biggest weakness is my sweet tooth. It has been a constant struggle my entire life. When I first read about paleo/Whole30, I just didn't think I'd be able to give it up. But, I got desperate and decided to jump in with both feet, straying for the plan NOT an option. Since Day 2, I haven't had ANY sugar cravings. *jaw drops* You just don't understand how HUUUUUUGGGGGEEEE this is for me because I swear I have the biggest and baddest sugar dragon! I'm staying on guard, waiting for it to rear it's ugly head as I'm perplexed it hasn't yet. However, I'm also ELATED that cutting out the junk does seem to be regulating hormones, insulin levels, etc. Again, crazy and unbelievable.

So, while I did have several days of the grouchies and last night I had a dream I strayed without realizing it till after I ate a mint (A mint? Who dreams about straying by eating a MINT? Crazy!), the last 12 days has made me an absolute believer, I can't wait to see what happens in the upcoming 18 days!

For those out there that think they can't do it due to cravings/addictions: YOU CAN because I'm living proof. If I can, you can! Believe in the challenge and the changes it can do for you even before Day 30 arrives!

So, while I did have several days of the grouchies and last night I had a dream I strayed without realizing it till after I ate a mint (A mint? Who dreams about straying by eating a MINT? Crazy!), the last 12 days has made me an absolute believer, I can't wait to see what happens in the upcoming 18 days!

This made me grin. If it's any comfort, I had a dream that I went off-plan by eating Junior Mints. And another one where I ate a root beer barrel. And yet another where I ate half a thin-crust Sicilian pizza from my favorite pizza place in my old neighborhood in New York. And still another, the night before last, in which I can't remember what I ate, but I knew it was off-plan, and that I was on Day 28, and I would have to start all over again. Such funny critters, our brains!

Way to go!

I am at about the same spot on my Whole30 day 12 today. I haven't had any dreams about eating yet that I can remember.

Last night was about the hardest as I met a friend for supper and pool. The restaurant I choose that would have had some option like steak and salad was closed so we ended up at a Chinese place. All I found was a plain garden salad, and black coffee! He had a huge plate of mouthwatering badness! But, it really wasn't that hard though at first I wanted it but then I focused on his huge girth and thought about his diabetes... I tried not to get preachy about diet, yet he felt the need to tell me his philosophy, 'I don't cut anything in particular, I just eat sensibly and in moderation' hmmm ya that seems to be working out for you! LOL

YAY, Judy W! :D  Congrats on starting as it'll be the BEST decision you can make! Be sure to keep us updated on how it's going!

Bakerina: It's hilarious, isn't it?! The panic involved when we dream we've cheated is only surpassed by the relief when we wake up to discover we haven't. :)

NicoleDurso: Injuries are the pits, aren't they? So annoying. :angry:  But, I am positive embarking on Whole30/Paleo WILL help with injuries! How far into training for the marathon are you?! I hope it's going well! Let me know.

GumbyMan: Congrats on making it thru a Chinese restaurant dinner, that's CRAZY AWESOME! It's funny how when our eyes have been opened we just want to SHARE what we've learned. We'll see what he's saying when you at Day 30. :D

Day 4 and meal 3 cooking. I have managed to go to black coffee, make ghee and roast up a whole host of veggies. Roasting them really keeps me on track. I do 2 broiler pans full at a time so I always have veggies ready. Ate out last night and had beet salad (beets, lettuce and tomatoes) lamb chops cooked with olive oil and steamed veggies. Ignored the bread ( there were 3 couples so could not say hold the bread basket). Each day is easier.

Day 4 and meal 3 cooking. I have managed to go to black coffee, make ghee and roast up a whole host of veggies. Roasting them really keeps me on track. I do 2 broiler pans full at a time so I always have veggies ready. Ate out last night and had beet salad (beets, lettuce and tomatoes) lamb chops cooked with olive oil and steamed veggies. Ignored the bread ( there were 3 couples so could not say hold the bread basket). Each day is easier.

What a great idea, Judy! I do LOVE roasted veggies. In regards to your dinner, you had me at "beets"... I love 'em. I am glad it's getting easier for you and hope it continues to be that way. Go YOU! YAY!

What a great thread to read-- so happy for you!  

Thank you very much! I'm now at Day 15 and still amazed at the changes. Clothes are looser, plantar fasciitis 85% better (and that's with doing a bunch of yard work this last weekend!), and cravings are still at bay. I just feel SOOOO much better!

Also, my absolute biggest weakness is my sweet tooth. It has been a constant struggle my entire life. When I first read about paleo/Whole30, I just didn't think I'd be able to give it up. But, I got desperate and decided to jump in with both feet, straying for the plan NOT an option. Since Day 2, I haven't had ANY sugar cravings. *jaw drops* You just don't understand how HUUUUUUGGGGGEEEE this is for me because I swear I have the biggest and baddest sugar dragon! I'm staying on guard, waiting for it to rear it's ugly head as I'm perplexed it hasn't yet. However, I'm also ELATED that cutting out the junk does seem to be regulating hormones, insulin levels, etc. Again, crazy and unbelievable.

I have also been amazed by this! I was a bread/pasta/cake/cookie/candy monster before this. The only time during this Whole30 that I have even remotely craved sugar was the afternoon of day 4--and it was very brief. I did eat a larabar to make it go away, but it helped and I havent had a junk food craving since (fingers crossed!).

Today is Day 8 for me and I feel pretty fantastic!

Day 5 dinner in the oven. I roasted two pans of veggies so that should hold me a few days. I do not like raw veggies, except salad but roasted lets me get in all I need. Black coffee with cinnamon with breakfast, sardines and a banana for lunch and pork chops and veggies for dinner. Making a batch of chicken thighs tomorrow! My dh said no bread for him tonight so that is a start!

I have also been amazed by this! I was a bread/pasta/cake/cookie/candy monster before this. The only time during this Whole30 that I have even remotely craved sugar was the afternoon of day 4--and it was very brief. I did eat a larabar to make it go away, but it helped and I havent had a junk food craving since (fingers crossed!).

Today is Day 8 for me and I feel pretty fantastic!

Crazy, isn't it?! I haven't felt great the last couple days (not sure if it's because of detox or my body is busy repairing my gut so I'm more susceptible to a virus), but still no sugar cravings and I'm now on Day 18. How are you doing? Still feeling fantastic?!

Day 5 dinner in the oven. I roasted two pans of veggies so that should hold me a few days. I do not like raw veggies, except salad but roasted lets me get in all I need. Black coffee with cinnamon with breakfast, sardines and a banana for lunch and pork chops and veggies for dinner. Making a batch of chicken thighs tomorrow! My dh said no bread for him tonight so that is a start!

WOO-HOO, Judy! YAY for DH passing on the bread! Hope it's still going well for you. :)

Crazy, isn't it?! I haven't felt great the last couple days (not sure if it's because of detox or my body is busy repairing my gut so I'm more susceptible to a virus), but still no sugar cravings and I'm now on Day 18. How are you doing? Still feeling fantastic?!

Still feeling pretty good. I haven't been getting the recommended amount of sleep so that's causing me to be groggy in the morning, but once I get going during the day I hardly notice it and I have quite a bit more energy. No strong sugar cravings still.  Usually at 3pm every day I would start thinking about a candy bar or cookies and ice cream and would have to leave the office to get some junk! Now 3pm passes with no hunger pangs and no energy slump....and no thoughts of sugary snacks!!

I think the most important thing I've taken from this so far is that I DO have will power. I've spent the last 4 years (since I started putting on weight) telling myself I couldn't gain control over my cravings and food addictions. The excuse was always, "Well I tried, but I just don't have any will power." Now I know that I definitely have it and it makes me feel more confident about the post-Whole30 days to come.

Day 7 and doing good. Baked can thighs last night and fixed sweet potatoes and green beans so had them again for lunch and dinner. Hubby still not doing bread at dinner. Tomorrow night eating seafood. Looking forward to that. Hope everyone is hanging there.

Still feeling pretty good. I haven't been getting the recommended amount of sleep so that's causing me to be groggy in the morning, but once I get going during the day I hardly notice it and I have quite a bit more energy. No strong sugar cravings still.  Usually at 3pm every day I would start thinking about a candy bar or cookies and ice cream and would have to leave the office to get some junk! Now 3pm passes with no hunger pangs and no energy slump....and no thoughts of sugary snacks!!

I think the most important thing I've taken from this so far is that I DO have will power. I've spent the last 4 years (since I started putting on weight) telling myself I couldn't gain control over my cravings and food addictions. The excuse was always, "Well I tried, but I just don't have any will power." Now I know that I definitely have it and it makes me feel more confident about the post-Whole30 days to come.

Andrea, I think we are kindred spirits. :)  I swear, you are saying what I'm experiencing in regards to sugar cravings. I'm still (happily) baffled that after all this time, it comes down to eating the right amount of protein/fats. So, YAY!!! Congrats on the lack of afternoon sweet tooth cravings! :D

Day 7 and doing good. Baked can thighs last night and fixed sweet potatoes and green beans so had them again for lunch and dinner. Hubby still not doing bread at dinner. Tomorrow night eating seafood. Looking forward to that. Hope everyone is hanging there.

YAY, Judy! Last nights dinner sounds delish as well as seafood...YUM! Glad to hear your DH is still passing on the bread! :D  Day 18 and still no sugar cravings for me which is nothing short of miraculous. ;)

Day 9 starting. Scrambled up spinach, tomato and onion and a couple of eggs with ghee, black coffee with cinnamon and some home made sausage. Now to take care of my mom today and get through lunch without a slip. Steaks for dinner tonight with roasted veggies!

Day 11has been a great day. Got a lot done at work. I work upstairs in my office so at lunch I came down and made 30 second mayo.. It turned out so good. Had it with my tuna and boiled egg, sliced tomatoes and cucumbers...Yum! Grilling steaks for dinner with sweet potatoes and green beans.

Archived