Homemade coconut butter

So I made it last night... Not sure why I felt the need to ask for any recipes. Haha.... I'll be doing this from now on so that I can enjoy coconut butter semi-regularly. The cost breakdown ends up being anywhere from $4-6ish per 16oz of coconut butter (depending on brand & if you use shredded or flakes, purchased online vs store, etc) as opposed to $12 and up, per jar. And for the time/effort put into making it, it was totally simple and worth the cost savings! Love it!

Also made coconut milk & flour yesterday too out of coconut flakes. I love when I can experiment and try new things in the kitchen!

• 2 weeks later...

You need a good motor for coconut butter, if yours doesn't like to run too long or struggles with some things, don't try and make coconut butter, you may burn out the motor (turn it off it you smell a burning smell). I need to run mine for about 20 minutes and the butter actually gets a little warm and melty (which makes it easier to jar). Mine is never as smooth as Artisana's, but I think my machine is only just up to the task.

You need a good motor for coconut butter, if yours doesn't like to run too long or struggles with some things, don't try and make coconut butter, you may burn out the motor (turn it off it you smell a burning smell). I need to run mine for about 20 minutes and the butter actually gets a little warm and melty (which makes it easier to jar). Mine is never as smooth as Artisana's, but I think my machine is only just up to the task.

Yeah mine usually stays somewhat grainy too. BUT it's a trade-off I'm willing to take in exchange for saving $8+ for every 16oz. :)

I make mine in a basic 7-cup Cuisinart food processor. I dump one bag of Lets go Organic coconut flakes (unsweetened, of course) into the machine and turn it on. About 5  minutes later, I scrape any residue down, and let it go for another 5 or so minutes. The trick is to let it process until it is liquid, and DO NOT stop until it is liquid. I've never had a problem with overheating my machine.

Then I pour it into a jar (reused my Nutiva coconut butter jar), and enjoy!

Archived