~Support Thread for Week of July 7th Starters/Continue-ers

sunnymama

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you're right Megster, that will be challenging.  You can do it, though!  Hang tough and good luck!  Checking in with a support thread/group/whatever daily has been really helpful to me.  In my worst moments of about-to- break I really just didn't want to have to come here and say I was out.      

Thanks for starting the thread amberino!

Also had a bit of a test run for past few days. Cutting dairy easier than expected, (no frothy weekend cappuccinos!) had coffee black, and it really wasn't that bad at all! In fact, I ordered a second! Grains and sugar are also easy for me to cut out, it's the no snacking / no mindless nibbling part that I am going to find challenging I think. I'm definately an emotional fill-the-gap kind of eater! One day at a time :-)

Hi July 7th Crew -- 

My name is Jane and I also just started (on July 7). I am in my 40s and hypothyroid with about 40 lbs. to lose. Much of 2012 and early 2013 have been chaotic schedule-wise/travel-wise for me (crazy amounts of cross-country eldercare and stress and work chaos), and I've had a parade of guests/long-term visitors, so it's been hard to establish routines for health, so I am really looking forward to Whole 30 as a reset from extreme distraction and trying to pair it with a return to consistent Crossfitting...

I've been gluten-free, soy-free, and dairy-lite for awhile, so some aspects of Whole 30 are already now habitual. But since going GF in 2009 I have gotten accustomed to gluten-free carbs (rice, corn, white potatoes, beans, the occasional GF bread), none of which are really worth the calories nutritionally or glycemically. My biggest sin at this point is wine consumption... I can contemplate a nice carb-free dinner, if I get 2 glasses of red wine w/it. But: Time to skip the wine, at least for a month.

A couple of bits of inspiration: 1) My nutritionist is totally bullish on Paleo as a diet choice for me (blood type O, hypothyroid, food allergies of the sort Paleo won't bother) and 2) I did a paleo challenge at my gym and this lifestyle works. 

My Crossfit gym in February did a paleo challenge, and I participated. My nutritionist used a funky body composition scale to check my body ratios before/after. I wanted to pass on to you what happened. So, eating paleo (more or less like Whole 30 but many of us did make Paleo-ified junk food), and attending Xfit 4x/week, and with some wine cheats (max 2 glasses), I lost 5.5 lbs. and all of it was fat/water, which meant my muscle ratio went up (by not changing) and my fat ratio declined. As a woman w/hypothyroid, this was incredibly inspiring. Eating this way was not hard, though it took planning and I've invested in ordering some paleo snacks (NIck's Sticks -- turkey, Sea Snax) by mail which are a big help for travel.

Alas, I traveled all of March right after my paleo challenge, and for 10 days in April, and for a week in May, hence my Xfit/faithful Whole 30 habit fell apart. But, just saying, if Whole 30 is not a drastic change for you, and you can tolerate and maintain an upped exercise routine that includes some weight training, you could have great results. I am doing this again to restart the weight loss train and hoping I can make my February 2013 of consistent Crossfit and clean eating a permanent lifestyle... 

Onward!

(Just had 2 eggs over coconut-oil sauteed sweet potato hash, sipping some coffee, prepping for Xfit.)

Jane

Amberino -- What did you have for dinner? Did you have enough protein? Also, I wonder if you are actually dehydrated instead of hungry? Anyway, hard to guess not knowing more, but from a surface look these are the things I would wonder. Another question is if you waited a long time between your last meal/snack and dinner -- if you waited too long/too late to eat dinner, your hunger might be somehow related. I'm no nutritionist, but have found the earlier I can eat dinner the better. (This not alway easy as husband can wait later than me.) Anyway, let us know more. Thanks for starting thread. Let's prop each other up! -- Jane

We had osso bucco, with cauli/leek purée, Brussels sprouts and cabbage cooked in coconut oil (my husband also had sweet potato) with blueberries/coconut milk.....

There was definitely lots of it! I drink lots of water constantly (about 4L today), and we'd had our pre/post workout food as well. Post workout was about 1.5hrs earlier - we're used to eating quite late, and used to eating a lot at night so perhaps it's just me getting used to things :P i might include some starchy carbs next time and see if that makes a difference.

It's quite hard to gauge fat intake when you're cooking with fat, and the meat is fatty etc....maybe I need more of that?

For me...Including a sweet potato in just about every meal is the difference between hunger between meals or not, and better energy. I'm not going to claim to know the science behind that or the "why". I just know it works. And I don't love SP's-- in fact until I started this i had never even eaten one. I also add organic cinnamon to each one for the anti-inflammatory benefits. I'll be really glad when they are in season and I can buy them local grown for max nutrients but I think that's not until fall

For me...Including a sweet potato in just about every meal is the difference between hunger between meals or not, and better energy. I'm not going to claim to know the science behind that or the "why". I just know it works. And I don't love SP's-- in fact until I started this i had never even eaten one. I also add organic cinnamon to each one for the anti-inflammatory benefits. I'll be really glad when they are in season and I can buy them local grown for max nutrients but I think that's not until fall

I had some starchy carbs in both my other meals, and quite a lot in PWO so thought I might get away with none! Obviously not :P

Thanks!! Ill be adding some sort of starchy veggies in tomorrow's dinner and see if that helps :)

That reminds me of a question I keep forgetting to ask. I've been roasting a pan of sweet potatoes every few days but read that steaming is best to retain nutrition. Those of you that are sautéing or steaming- do you leave the peels on? TIA!

How is today going so far for everyone? 

I'm a continuer-ish, so today's been good! I say continuer-ish because i started on 10th June & was doing swimmingly until this Saturday when i had a almost-certainly non-compliant sausage while out for a meal. I felt really out of sorts all afternoon. My brain thinks that if i Start Over, that means we get some time off while we prepare, so i'm not Staring Over, i'm Continuing (got that, Brain?  :P )

Logging my food on these threads cos it makes me feel better & keeps me accountable...

Breakfast - homemade sausage, & 2 scrambled duck eggs with ghee & spinach, homemade sauerkraut

Lunch - pumpkin coconut cashew curry & kale

Dinner - pork chops with homemade plum sauce, kale, purple-sprouting broccoli & some form of sweet potatoes. Mmmm... hungry... :ph34r:

I'm a continuer-ish, so today's been good! I say continuer-ish because i started on 10th June & was doing swimmingly until this Saturday when i had a almost-certainly non-compliant sausage while out for a meal. I felt really out of sorts all afternoon. My brain thinks that if i Start Over, that means we get some time off while we prepare, so i'm not Staring Over, i'm Continuing (got that, Brain?  :P )

Logging my food on these threads cos it makes me feel better & keeps me accountable...

Breakfast - homemade sausage, & 2 scrambled duck eggs with ghee & spinach, homemade sauerkraut

Lunch - pumpkin coconut cashew curry & kale

Dinner - pork chops with homemade plum sauce, kale, purple-sprouting broccoli & some form of sweet potatoes. Mmmm... hungry... :ph34r:

So here's the thing.  I am SELFISHLY so happy Roz is continuing-er-ish because she is very hilarious!  

Also-- I inadvertently ran into your mayo thread  as I'll be trying to make it next weekend. You are TOO funny but I'm so glad to have realistic expectations.    :blink:

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/10160-how-to-make-homemade-mayo/?hl=mayo ) --for anyone else who needs to know how to make it  :D

Hi everyone!

Today is my first Whole30 day! I am feeling frightened and worried! You know the part in It Starts with Food when they talk about food dreams? I am already feeling like that when I am awake! Eek!

Anyways, wish me luck! :D

Hi everyone!

Today is my first Whole30 day! I am feeling frightened and worried! You know the part in It Starts with Food when they talk about food dreams? I am already feeling like that when I am awake! Eek!

Anyways, wish me luck! :D

Good Luck! You are going to do great!  :D

So far today ...

Breakfast: 2 scrambled eggs mixed with spinach (all cooked with coconut oil) and bulletproof coffee (coffee, coconut oil, ghee -- all mixed in my Vitamix). No meat for breakfast, but will be make sure to be well-stocked for tomorrow's breakfast!

Lunch: Grassfed ground beef (made it into a burger), 1/2 an avocado, and steamed veggies (zuccini, carrots, peppers).

Dinner: Going to make the pad thai from http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com

I'm a contiue-er....Onto week 2.  :)

My first week went well apart from a massive carb withdrawal headache on Day 3.  I was still able to hit the gym and my skin is actually clearing up. I am definitely see a noticeable belly de-bloat which I'm ecstatic about.  :D  A nutritionist suggested paleo-style eating might help me get my belly down esp. as the women in my family tend to get diabetes late in life as their bellies expand.   The only residual weirdness is my body temperature is swinging up and down.  But for the most part, it's manageable. 

Good luck to all the starters and continue-ers!!!

Archived