~Support Thread for Week of July 7th Starters/Continue-ers

sunnymama

Day 6 -

All is going well. I feel like I'm slimmer already, but I don't know how that's possible.  The new thing for today is heartburn and stomach cramps.  I didn't have any GI issues (that I knew of) coming into the whole30 (that's my hubby).  I was just looking to lose weight/change body composition.  Anyone else getting hammered by sudden indigestion?

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Roz, thanks, I know the page but somehow I missed the chicken recipe - going to check it out now, I LOVE meat-fruit combinations :)

Day seven began... with a sore throat and runny nose :( I'm not sure whether it's delayed onset carb flu or just a result of me running around with wet hair after I showered post WOD and was in too much hurry to dry my hair... Well, hopefully I'll beat it soon. The big news it that I had (drumroll...) a burger for breakfast today :D I'm still amazed that I had a solid chunk of beef at 6:30 AM and did't gag ;) Actually it was awesome, with spinach and bluberry salad on the side. Mmmmmm :) Have a nice day everyone.

I also have a question for you guys, totally unrelated to our diet, but instead related to our pets and their food. I'm owned by two awesome sphynx cats who are my furless babies and I love them to pieces. Well, as suggested by the breeders I have fed them commercial food which is loaded with grains (including wheat :-/) I thought that if I change my diet to avoid gluten and grains, I should do the same for them as they are, at least in theory, 100% carnivores so all these grains are even more harmful to them than to me. The problem is, they won't eat any grain free food that I offer - wet or dry or anything... Has anyone tried to switch their pets to Whole30 diet? ;) (I found some info of whole30 approved pet food brand, but that's not an option for me as I'm located in Poland).

Seems like a common theme in this thread is this carb flu / post nasal drip. I was eating pretty clean already pre whole30, but could never eliminate dairy, so I'm thinking that dairy is definately a no go for me. Will be interesting to see post W30 what the body does with dairy. Milk, I can give up, but full cream Greek yogurt...mmmmm....I'm not sure I could say goodbye indefinately.

Breakfast: had 2 boiled eggs, and boiled a whole lot more for the rest of the week, spinach, some avo and a persimmon fruit. Was feeling slightly queasy this morning, I think my cocoa with coconut milk drink late last night was not a good idea. 

Lunch will be some tomato soup with left over veggies and lamb from yesterday, and...dinner...most likely some grilled chicken, squash and greens. 

Back to my running group this evening, will be interesting to see how my energy levels cope! Overall, I'm feeling ok! Roll on week 2! 

Have a great day everyone!

PS - Magda, have had similar thoughts about my cats - I've go two very furry babies - Persians. I have them both on a prescription brand diet as the one has allergies, but I would love to switch them to a raw / whole30, as they are felines after all and when did you ever see a lion eat a bread roll right?! Let me know if you find anything - I doubt there is a commercially available brand, will probably have to make your own...that on top of your own meal prep... :rolleyes:

We used to feed our dog vegetables, meat and rice....some fruit (he loved apple cores!). We brought him up on that though, so unsure how you'd change their diet once they become used to certain food.

My bloatedness is back! Boo. Starting to think its veggies I'm eating - we eat a lot of cabbage and broccoli/cauli which I think can cause issues, and ive also realised we have been eating heaps of night shades. I love them! Most of the prepped meals in the freezer have nightshades so eliminating them in the next week would be hard (unless I just feed that food to G and start again on my own), but I might try eating less cauli/broc/cabbage.

I've been getting bloated... and gassy....and wondering if my headaches are related. I have to go back and look at my food log to see if I can pinpoint anything. It could just be that I eat too many vegetables in general!

Cats have to have a special diet. The commercial foods with grains and fillers in them have been shown to lead to diabetes in cats (just like humans!!!!). I don't know if you have the Blue Diamond foods in Poland, but that is what we feed our cats and they love it. If you are going to feed your cat fresh food, make sure you have the right combo of nutrients (cats need taurine). You can actually feed them a lot of raw food. If you have chicken gizzards, they love that. And they can even eat the bones (raw only, not cooked). If you take a raw chicken neck and chop it into smaller pieces, they will eat it whole. A lot of show cats are on a raw diet, it does wonders for their coats. There are some websites on having a home/raw diet for cats and how to make sure they are getting what they needs.

As far as bloating and pain. as a lifelong IBS sufferer, I can tell you that FODMAPS are usually the main cause (since we aren't eating any added sugar or alcohol). Once I eliminated onions, brocolli and some other FODMAP items, I eliminated most of my IBS symptoms. I don't think you need to eliminate all of them, but try some and see. Also, if you are eating more meat than you are used to, try taking HCL and digestive enzymes. Most of us, because of our previous bad diets, are deficient in stomach acid and if we need more to complete the digestive process. That leads to food just sitting in the stomach, and can cause heartburn, GERD and other issues.

Thanks, Bet - I do eat a lot of onion/leek/spring onion, as well as A LOT of garlic (2 of us go through about 6 bulbs a week), as well as a lot of the veggies on the "avoid" list.

I also eat a lot of vegies with insoluble fiber....heaps! Maybe I'm overdoing it a bit :P

Ill try and use less of those, as well as look more closely at the FODMAP diet recommendations

We're perhaps eating a little more meat at each sitting, but less protein all together. We were having protein powders a couple of times a day before starting the whole 30...

Amberino, what I noticed is that raw veggies are good, but too much raw veggies are "too good" ;) and they make me feel bloated and gassy too. So, while I eat a lot of veggies, I tend to eat more cooked and a bit less raw. I'm especially sensitive to raw onions (even a small amount makes my belly hurt) while I have no problem at all with cooked/sauteed onions. The same is the case with peppers - I can eat grilled / roasted / sauteed peppers no problem, but when I eat them raw, I feel really unwell later. So maybe you should also experiment with raw vs cooked veggies.

Thanks for the invite...... so far feeling good.  My husband and I started on the same date and it is so much easier doing it with him.  Got really excited today when I found my seven year old googling "kids paleo lunches".  Guess the bug has caught!  Still finding the cooking and prep tiring but slowly getting more organised and learning to eat left overs or same meals more than once a week.  Very new for me - a girl who likes variety!  Everyone stay strong - we deserve this!

Hi Future Jaye :) It's great that your husband is on board too :) As to exercise, I do crossfit 3-4 times a week (I aim for 5 but somehow life always gets in the way) and go to work by bike sometimes (although I've been slacking with this one recently). I always go to the gym in late afternoon / early evening, after work. But I know some people who work out in the morning and it works best for them, so check out which timing will be better for you.

Amberino, what I noticed is that raw veggies are good, but too much raw veggies are "too good" ;) and they make me feel bloated and gassy too. So, while I eat a lot of veggies, I tend to eat more cooked and a bit less raw. I'm especially sensitive to raw onions (even a small amount makes my belly hurt) while I have no problem at all with cooked/sauteed onions. The same is the case with peppers - I can eat grilled / roasted / sauteed peppers no problem, but when I eat them raw, I feel really unwell later. So maybe you should also experiment with raw vs cooked veggies.

We're eating a lot more cooked than we have for months!! We used to do a lot of high raw, smoothies etc....so I don't think that's the issue unfortunately!

I was ready to give up yesterday after a very bland meal of mahi-mahi, shrimp and veggies.  My husband and I decided to leave cooking fish to the experts.  With us, seafood and butter are synonymous.  I pushed through it yesterday after a trip to wal-mart for supplies to make almond milk almost gave me an anxiety attack!  They had my favorite treats/junk on every endcap, even the ones not in the grocery section it seemed.  The grocery store is not my friend.  My almond milk turned out pretty good this am though, on the bright side.  It was nice to have a little something for my coffee besides black coffee.  

I know I need to look further into some of these recipe sites because I'm lacking in the vegetable variety department.  One thing I know is that you can't balance your diet overnight and a new day doesn't necessarily mean an easier day.

Oh, one more thing, anyone else having horrible hot flashes? 

Ghee is your friend when it comes to seafood - lots of ghee! Also good with baked or scrambled eggs :-)

I am having a terrible time finding it.  I've checked Trader Joes and Fresh Market but I'm hoping the last place I haven't looked, Whole Foods, has it.

Oh, one more thing, anyone else having horrible hot flashes? 

Jen - I had a ridiculously bad hot flash on day 1 or 2.   None since then, though.  I was also starting my period at the time (great timing, right?)  so maybe that contributed?

Jen - you can make your own ghee. I think NomNomPaleo had a method for doing it in the oven which was fairly foolproof

I saw that recipe but the problem in the town I live in is that whole 30 compliant butter to make ghee is not available so if I have to go to Raleigh I figured I just might as well buy it already made.  I will make my own if Whole Foods doesn't have it.

Ha, I made Mayo yesterday.  Made two batches using two different oils. The olive oil flavor in both was too much, but I'll use it any way.   Going to try buying some "Light Flavored" Olive oil for the next batch.  It was really easy.  I used the Nom Nom Paleo recipe.

Still doing pretty good.  Feel good this morning.  Had ground pork and apples this morning for breakfast.  i made it yesterday and had it in the fridge for today.  All I had to do was heat and eat.  It worked out well.

Woo Hoo for making it to day 8.  Check you later!!! 

I was having hot flashes before. Besides being menopausal I have a thyroid issue, so sometimes the meds can cause hot flashes. I am hoping they get better with the W30. It could be the hormones regulating themselves. It's really a hormone issue that causes hot flashes.

Archived