~Support Thread for Week of July 7th Starters/Continue-ers

sunnymama

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also have a question for you guys, totally unrelated to our diet, but instead related to our pets and their food. I'm owned by two awesome sphynx cats who are my furless babies and I love them to pieces. Well, as suggested by the breeders I have fed them commercial food which is loaded with grains (including wheat :-/) I thought that if I change my diet to avoid gluten and grains, I should do the same for them as they are, at least in theory, 100% carnivores so all these grains are even more harmful to them than to me. The problem is, they won't eat any grain free food that I offer - wet or dry or anything... Has anyone tried to switch their pets to Whole30 diet? ;) (I found some info of whole30 approved pet food brand, but that's not an option for me as I'm located in Poland).

@Magda, 2 years ago my female cat (Himalayan, 13 years old at the time) was diagnosed with Hyperthyroidism (I have heard it's common in older cats). I had been dabbling in Paleo for myself and came across an article regarding our pets. I did some research (both on-line and in a family-owned pet store) and found EVO. They offer wet and dry grain-free cat and dog food. I switched my cats over to it (they get the wet food twice a day and a small bowl of dry is always out in their room), and they both enjoy it. I briefly tried going raw with them, but my male (same age- well, older by 2 weeks!, same breed) started getting sick right after eating it. 

Long story! Both cats are happy with the food and the doctor is very happy with my females test results!

http://www.evopet.com/

Managed to find some grumps today  :angry: but i think it's probably down to the hot weather & being a bit tired from working over the weekend. Nothing an early night or two won't sort out!

Breakfast - homemade breakfast sausage, red cabbage with apple & a fried duck egg

Lunch - kahlua pork, greens, beetroot, sweet potatoes & gingered carrots. Few cherries after

Dinner - pork fennel & apple meatballs, kale & cumin-roasted carrots, with some sauerkraut. More cherries after  ;)

I'm not sure i should say this aloud, but i've really noticed my cravings fading away over the past few days  :ph34r: I'm even managing to look at recipes for paleo-fied cakes without feeling hungry - that was my downfall before, i'd make up some paleo brownies or whatever, because they "were all good stuff", but then eat the whole lot solo, cos the family only want "real" stuff that comes in packets from the shop  :huh: & then that would be a trigger to get the "real" stuff for myself too. Still not going to make any though, certainly not yet!

Day 7 done :) It was OK. My sore throat and sniffles is almost gone, but I felt weird running and doing the cardio part of today's WOD, so I'm not 100% OK yet, but getting there :)

In the food department all was well too. I notice that my body starts to give me clearer signals when I need to stop eating. I used to eat everything on my plate, sometimes waaaay beyond feeling full, but it was "just so good". Tonight I wasn't particularly hungry so I took a smaller portion of dinner than I normally would and still about after eating about 2/3 of it I felt that it was enough and I didn't want more and that was it. I didn't stuff it into myself, because it was good (it was good by the way ;)).

Regarding my crazy bald cats... I think it's because of your positive energy, because just today I bought another brand of  grain free dry food and they LOVED it. For now I'm mixing it with their current food and we'll see how it goes. I don't think I want to transition them to raw diet although I may give them some raw meat from time to time. One of the reasons is my own laziness - I spent enough time in the kitchen planning and prepping my own meals ;) Another problem is that I wouldn't want to leave raw meat out of the fridge for the whole day (they get one meal in the morning and another in the evening + dry food available all the time).

Hi all,

This weekend was TOUGH. Really hard to get through the breads, crackers, and evenings without wine. But, I felt sooo good that I did.

Wanted to share a quick protein/fat pick-me-up meal: Mix 1/2 very ripe avocado with a can of tuna. You can add any seasonings and veggies you like, i.e., watercress, celery, scallions, carrots, onion, etc... Its super easy, portable, and fast. :)

I second that, VaNewbie!

My coworkers said I was glowing today.

Tonight I'm having my friend (and her kids) over for dinner. She's the person who told me about the Whole 30 a few weeks ago. I am so grateful! I am about to make a W30 approved, kid friendly, extravaganza...I hope!

That shallot tarragon cherry chicken... Is it wrong to eat 3 chicken thighs in one sitting? Asking for a friend... *burp*

I ate 3 bacon wrapped chicken thighs for meal 2 yesterday if that makes you, I mean your friend, feel better.  :ph34r:

Let day 8 begin :) I think I hardly slept at night for some reason... Might be the coffee I had yesterday in the afternoon. Today only let myself have one coffee (that I'm drinking at the moment :)). I try to limit nuts in my diet (use them as a garnish, not as a snack). I do have a box of trail mix in my desk drawer though and reached for it yesterday and the day before. However, today I brought HB eggs and olives for my snack.

Wow day 9 already?! Nearly 1/3rd into this, it's not so bad?! Yesterday, all day, I was craving that crunchy, crumbly biscuit-ey texture that you just don't get from whole foods...or none that I can think of anyway. It made me realise that no natural whole foods have that crumbly texture and is something that those "clever food technologists" have named 'mouth feel'! I staved it off though, it was more a texture yearning that an actual biscuit craving. 

My run was really good last night, I felt strong after a week of being off, and I hadn't eaten since lunch, and was fine. 

So, don't tell anyone, but I HAD to weigh myself this morning, and take measurements, because I am starting a new weight training program this week, and it *required* my starting measurements. It's early days on Whole30, and I am not a slave to the scale (or at least trying to adopt that mindset) but it did show a loss since starting. Not big, not small, but a happy, realistic, maintainable loss. I also had to take photos of myself in a bikini for the start of this program   ...and it's the middle of winter here :o (read: lily white skin in a bikini, not a good picture). Thank goodness my OH is away, so I had to set the self timer on the camera...which in itself was traumatic enough, and the photos...of front, side and erm, rear...now THAT was motivation to continue with this if ever I needed it! Even MORE so than the scale. 

So my mission this week is to get into this weight training routine, along with maintaining my running routine. Baby steps, one meal, one workout at a time. 

Let day 8 begin :) I think I hardly slept at night for some reason... Might be the coffee I had yesterday in the afternoon. Today only let myself have one coffee (that I'm drinking at the moment :)). I try to limit nuts in my diet (use them as a garnish, not as a snack). I do have a box of trail mix in my desk drawer though and reached for it yesterday and the day before. However, today I brought HB eggs and olives for my snack.

I've notice I'm much more sensitive to caffeine now that I've cut out everything else.  I used to drink two cups of coffee (with non fat 1/2 and 1/2 and splenda) in the morning and 1-2 cups in the afternoon after work.  First off, you can save your comments about how terrible all those chemicals were for me, I KNOW!  I'm never going back, even after the whole 30 is over.  I'm drinking it black now and only 2 smaller cups in the morning and now I have to have decaf in the afternoon if I have it, otherwise I can't sleep. 

Day 10 is on for me.  I had my friend over last night, the one who introduced me to the whole 30.  She eats paleo now, very happily.  It was good to think about that as a direction to go in post w30 possibly.

we're just finishing day 9 - tried less fibrous veggies today and not as bloated. we're having cauliflower mash with dinner though, so it'll be interesting to see if that causes bloating!  maybe it'll be ok as I haven't had heaps during the day...

I went to visit a friend though who noticed and commented that I seemed more relaxed and at peace, it may be coincidence that i'm on holidays, but I feel it in myself. theres no worrying about preparing mountains of meals, eating said meals, counting calories etc...and I think the style of eating (more fat over carbs) assists maintain a more calm state.

Fiona, i'll be interested to hear how you change over the rest of the whole 30 - please take pics at the end to compare!!

I should really do the same thing...photos are such a fantastic way to see results.

Are there any morning exercisers among us? I'd like to try working out before work, but I'm confused about what to eat before. Since starting W30 my breakfasts are HUGE and I can't really imagine doing a WOD after having a regular breakfast. Normally I'd have a protein/energy bar since it's small, tasty and would give me some oompf, but now obviously they are out. What are your suggestions for a compliant early morning pre WO snack (preferably with little or no preparation, because we all know that time is of essence in the morning :)) ?

Yep, I have gotten in habit now of having a HB egg (and a little black coffee) pre morning workout. Then afterward I have my main meal #1. I don't have time in the morning to do a separate post WO meal, and then another breakfast. But the way I'm doing it works well. I feel fueled for my workout (cardio and/or TRX) and I'm not hungry until lunch).

Physically tired & very hot today  :wacko: Definitely looking forward to my day off tomorrow!

Breakfast - breakfast sausage, yellow peppers, fried duck egg & sauerkraut, a few cherries after

Lunch - lamb mince, samphire, cashews & sweet potato noodles with balsamic vinegar

Dinner - thai lime coconut shrimp & courgette noodles, & some cherries after

Had a bit of an urge for a snack-bag of dried fruit again this afternoon, but (luckily?) the supermarket we were in only sold giant bags of raisins. Stopped at the farm shop on the way home & bought a small bag of dried cranberries (sweetened with apple juice concentrate, woohoo!!), but then decided not to eat them & cooked them in some red cabbage & apple instead. Go me  ;) I also bought some coconut flakes - i might have another go at making coconut butter, cos the batch i made with dessicated coconut was kinda like tasty cement - & some 100% raw cacao powder. They sold cacao butter too, but i figure that's probably just asking for trouble at the moment! Still, mental note made for future times  :ph34r:

Off to kickboxing in a bit, planning a post-WO snack of some leftover pork fennel & apple meatballs. Yum!

So, I'm officially ill :( I felt terrible all day today - sniffles, sore throat and all the jazz that comes with having a cold. I used 350 tissues at work, was hot and then cold in turns, drank a bucket of tea and skipped my workout - not much sense in running & burpees when you can hardly breathe :P Hopefully I'm going to get better soon.

My energy is also down probably due to the cold combined with terrible sleep last night. I almost fell asleep at my desk today after lunch. I also wanted chocolate. And yogurt. Booo.

Well, I'll stop my whining here and hope for a better day tomorrow :)

Day Nine!! Going strong and loving the food. Quick question to the forum: what type of athletes do we have in here? newbies, irregular athletes, regular cardio-goers, crossfit?? Just wondering what you all are doing along with your Whole30.

Haha, Roz, I'm just drinking ginger-lemon tea, but I haven't thought about gelatin :D Next time ;)

VAnewbie, I do crossfit (I'm fairly new to it, started this January). Before that I used to go to all kinds of group fitness classes which, as I now see it, all boil down mainly to cardio in one form or another.

Hang in there Magda, I had the same all last week, do think it's partially due to the detox.

VAnewbie, I run +~7kms x 3 a week, and I've just started a weight training program. I've had a mental block against weight training for the past few years, I used to enjoy it previously. It's old school, but good to be back to basics. I used to crossfit but I'm not sure it's for me, found it too hectic on my joints (knees mostly).

Fiona, i'll be interested to hear how you change over the rest of the whole 30 - please take pics at the end to compare!!

I should really do the same thing...photos are such a fantastic way to see results.

I definately will, hoping they look much better post W30, but I think I will see real results in 8 weeks. My issue in the past with my body / weight has been that even if I am at my ideal weight, I'm still not satisfied. By doing thepretty and post photos, I can really see what I've achieved and cut myself some slack!

Archived