~Support Thread for Week of July 7th Starters/Continue-ers

sunnymama

Get well soon, Magda. You are somewhere where it's cold, yes?

For fitness, I either run or use the eliptical for 45 minutes 3-4 days/week, and I do weight training (mostly TRX) 2-3 days/week. This morning I was really dragging but I think its the extreme heat and humidity here. Mostly, I feel great since starting the whole 30. I used to do triathalons, but over the past two years my weight just kept creeping up and up and even though I was still working out, I didn't have the stamina and endurance due to my excess weight. My goal is to do another triathlon in September, or if I don't feel I'm up to speed by then, then I'll wait until early next summer. I'm not putting any pressure on myself. What's most important is that I continue to feed my body what it needs and treat it well.

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

VANewbie - I'm a lapsed runner, i did a 40 mile ultra last August, but haven't run since about February/March. Now i do a kickboxing class once a week & a functional fitness/bootcamp type class once a week (kettlebells, sledgehammers, pull ups, etc). I also walk to work & work as a cleaner, so i count that as part of it!

Still compliant here...sugar cravings getting further and fewer between and I no longer even think abut the other groups, nor do I miss them.  In fact I am so comfortable in this Whole 30 that I realized I am TOO comfortable and it is past time to step it up!  Must add activity and more water, is 8 glasses a day still the standard?   

Hope everyone else is doing all right!  

G and I are both bodybuilders - we competed all of last year, and taking more than a year off to grow. We train 4-5 times a week depending on our training program and do as little cardio as possible! I did have a strange desire to go for a run the other day....I must be going mad because I hate running!

Still compliant here...sugar cravings getting further and fewer between and I no longer even think abut the other groups, nor do I miss them. In fact I am so comfortable in this Whole 30 that I realized I am TOO comfortable and it is past time to step it up! Must add activity and more water, is 8 glasses a day still the standard?

Hope everyone else is doing all right!

I drink 4-5L a day, but think the recommendation is at least half your bodweight pounds in ounces?

I am sifting through info here and at Mark's Daily Apple forum and trying to narrow it to how many HIIT per week, kettle bell practice (learning to use not at full workout stage yet), rest days etc. I like walking daily just for the fresh air but I don't count that as exercise as I walk at whatever pace I feel like, not to increase my heart rate.  

Day 9 started with a very tasty breakfast of 3 eggs sunny side up, pumpkin-cauliflower puree and homemade guacamole. My cold is a bit better, but my mood is kind of crappy... I'm almost 1/3 of the way through and I don't see my clothes fitting any loser (not tighter either, so I guess that's a plus ;)). I'd really appreciate some visible effects. Plus, I start to have all kinds of cravings, not even for sugar, mainy for yogurt, good cheese, 85% chocolate and wine ;)

I haven't seen any physical changes either, Magda - I still have issues with bloating occasionally, but think this may be to do with the types of vegies I'm eating. Working on this slowly, trying a few different things....

To be honest, I have a few medical/hormonal issues that part of me hopes this diet change may help, and losing weight probably wouldn't be that beneficial!

I have read a few posts of people not seeing changes til the last week! Your body may just need the time to readjust.

Thanks amberino :) I'm going to hold on to this this time, to practice my strong will if for no other reason ;) I might consider quitting if my weight balooned or if I felt really bad, but I feel OK in general and I think my weight is more or less stable, so I'll just keep on keeping on :)

At least the cats benefited from my paleo transformation - they're loving their new food and they really do have boundless energy that I seem to lack ;) Really, from the day I first fed them organic grain free food they literally started bouncing off walls. I'm not sure I love it all the time (especially when they have a sudden surge of energy at 3 AM ;)) but they certainly feel great :)

Amberino and Magda- I'm not sure I see any big physical changes either, in terms of the way my body looks, but I don't know if I'm always the best judge.  I haven't found my clothes fitting differently though I don't think.  But I'm no longer puffy and my feet don't hurt anymore, and the improvement in PMS--maybe like Amber said, it just takes a while (and it's not really that long) for the outside to catch up with the inside :)

I will say I think I had my first real cranky, yucky, "i want to kill all things" afternoon yesterday.  I was ready to chop off my husband's head and put it in the lime coconut curry I was making.  :angry: It didn't feel good, but I think it's passed, and it's not like I didn't have those moments before.  On Whole 30 I am much more even, content, less easily ruffled, etc.  I'll take that over weight loss any day!

^ i just laughed waaay more than i should have at the idea of putting your husband's head in lime coconut curry - just imagining the follow up questions on the forum. "I've curried my fella's head, but I'm not sure if he was grass-fed or organic, do i have to start over?" or "Any recipes for man legs?"

Day 10 check in. Started my weights program last night, was good. 

Breakie: mince, courgettes and sweet potato, plus some fruit and nuts.

Lunch: broccoli, spinach, bacon and sweet potato salad.

Dinner: pork stir fry. 

Think I'm retaining water today, skin under my eyes is very puffy, but it is that time of the month. My cravings have been quiet for a while now, and I find I am less and less hungry. Does anyone skip meals if they are not hungry? My worry is that if I skip a meal, by the time the next one comes along I am ravenous and need to snack which I am really trying to avoid!

Or maybe you could postpone your meal a bit. For instance, if you're not hungry at noon, you can still have your lunch at 2 PM. I don't think we need to eat at the same time every day. I don't think it would work for me to skip a meal, having only 3 meals a day, I would probably get starving and have a snack

Good advice ladies, I generally eat lunch around 1pm and this is the meal I find myself least hungry for. So I will try delaying a little, I still like to keep at least 4-5 hours between meals as per the ISWF book advice, so it's a balancing act. 3 meals a day with no snacks in between is what I am trying to keep to. Grazing doesn't work for me. 

Amberino I also love food too much to skip meals...could never understand how people 'forget' to eat, I've never had that problem! 

Does anyone experience a slump in the afternoon? Since starting my W30 I do much better in the morning - I used to be really sleepy and slow, but I still almost fall asleep at my desk in the afternoon. I committed to drinking only one coffee (in the morning), because more than that makes me jittery and interferes with my sleep... But it's quite embarrassing, because I find that no matter what I have for lunch, my energy level takes a nosedive about an hour later... BTW, a friend advised me that if I didn't want to have coffee in the PM, no problem, I could always have a red bull ;)

Magda, the past couple of days have been really good, but before that I was getting a bit tired in the afternoon/evening.

I'm on holidays, and just pottering around the house most of the time, so I wasn't sure if the tiredness could be due to not doing a lot....

Same here Roz, days I work at home I do 15 minute power naps if needed. Or I eat a sweet potato with coconut oil and cinnamon on it. Either works to overcome a slumpy feel. And previously I would have smoked or drank coffee through a slump so yeah...progress, baby!

Archived