~Support Thread for Week of July 7th Starters/Continue-ers

sunnymama

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used to get the yawns all the time. I'm talking incessent yawning and not being able to keep my eyes opened. Even when driving home (scary!). It's gotten much better. I do think it's linked to the amount of protein/fat in the meals. I felt a bit tired yesterday around 3, but I had some raw coconut with me and munched on that and felt better.

I go back and forth on if I've lost weight or inches. I think a bit, but not much. I think to lose the amount of weight I'd like to, I need to do this for a few months (with some breaks inbetween to have some fun :D )

Sweet potatoes rock, and that reminds me i HAVEN'T EATEN ANY TODAY!!  :o Panic!

Breakfast - breakfast sausage, red cabbage & apple, 2 eggs + 2 yolks scrambled in ghee & sauerkraut. Probably overdid it a bit on the eggs there  :blink:

Lunch - thai lime coconut shrimp, samphire, courgette noodles & cashew pieces. Some cherries after

Snack - several handfuls of dried mixed berries & some pork rinds

Snack #2 - as above. Oops.

Dinner - Moroccan meatballs & courgette noodles

Too much dried fruit today... I was bored, to be honest, that special kind of boredom that hits when you have a particular thing you really want to to but can't  :huh: I was pretty full after lunch too. Snack 2 could have been avoided had we eaten our dinner early, but my OH decided he'd rather wait until this evening, i'd kind of geared myself up for a feed, and hello remaining dried fruit! Bah. Oh well, could have been worse!

Ooh, shorts news! Before i started my Whole30 (on 10th June), i'd bought a pair of shorts without trying them on & discovered them to be much much MUCH ever so slightly too tight... tried them on again in about week 3 & they were a good fit. They're now loose (as in, if i have my phone in my pocket & undo the waist, they crash to the floor  :D ). So today i bought a pair of jeans that are about as tight as those shorts were when i first got them - i'll keep you posted!

Great posts in here...this was fun to read.

I have a question related to exercise - as I'm on day 8 today, and my attempt at spin class yesterday was exhausting :-/ I had zero energy, and very light headed...is this just normal, and will pass - or perhaps I need to eat different foods pre/post workout?

Hi norCAgal :) that was my question as well. I do crossfit and while WODs are never easy, recently I've struggled more than usual. The barbell seems heavier than it used to (although today I actually put on 5 kg more by mistake ;)). I sweat like crazy and feel dizzy at times. Before W30 I used to have some carbs (dried fruit, oat bar etc.) before workout and it seemed to work better than protein + fat as the meal template suggests. Or maybe it's just a calibration period and it will get better when our bodies transition to using fat for energy?

Day 9 done here. Maybe I'll have some fresh fruit for dessert. Generally I was struggling mentally today. I wanted all sorts of things that I couldn't have and felt like I was depriving myself. It's a little better now and I hope it will pass soon :) Hope you're all doing fantastic :)

Just made first olive oil mayo-- cannot believe it turned out right!!! So cool! Great stepping stone for the cumin lime dressing.

Magda- Good job working through, it WILL pass!

Roz- Congrats on the Crashing Pants, they deserve their own song or something, hahahaha!

sunnymama, did you make the 30 seconds mayo? I made it tonight and the method worked perfectly, only I used extra virgin olive oil and it turned out somewhat bitter... The next batch will be perfect though. I plan to buy some avocado oil and use it instead.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

No, I used Well Fed's recipe.  She said be patient, takes 3 minutes or so to drizzle the oil.  It took me 11 minutes.   :ph34r:   But it came out perfect, totally shocked, lol.    I'll have to look into this 30 second solution.  Where is that recipe?   For oil I could not find one labeled "Light" so I used one labeled "Extra Light" as seen in photo below.  I'm not an oil expert but so far it tastes good so I hope it works out.  My kids eat mostly Whole30 and this will be good for them-- they need some kind of dip or dressing to help alleviate boredom I think.  

post-32185-0-76325900-1374094709_thumb.j

I've made 3 lots of mayo - they just keep getting better! :)

Day 11 just starting here! Starting with a leg workout... I think our new training partner wants to kill me so I may be revisiting the egg I just ate. Fingers crossed!

Workout girls - I think there would definitely be a period of "crossover" where our bodies aren't used to using fat for energy. I think that has a lot to do with tiredness, drop in strength etc.

I'm doing a roast chicken for dinner - In all my kitchen time, I've never tried a roast chicken!! Sounds a bit stupid. I was thinking of making a concoction of herbs and ghee and rubbing it under the skin....maybe stuffing some lemon inside...

Day 11 coming to a close. I made olive oil oil mayo too! http://www.crunchybetty.com/foolproof-homemade-mayonnaise-full-of-super-secrets

And then had the simplest lovely dinner of tuna salad on romaine lettuce with dill pickles.

It was a hard day. I had lots of cravings when I was in BJ's (a wholesale grocery store) which I really havent' had much of, and was feeling a bit short tempered again. Grump, grump, grump.

Grump.

tomorrow's another day. :-)

Jumping in way late, but thought I'd introduce myself. I started on the 7th and will be hitting day 11 tomorrow. I signed up for the daily emails and have found them very encouraging and full of good information.

I feel like things are starting to even out. Day 1 was great, Day 2 I developed a cold sore, and Day 3 I felt like I had been hit by a train. Things have picked up though, and I'm feeling great — lots of energy and I feel like I might be losing weight. 

I've become crazy about sparkling water. Tonight, I pureed ginger in the food processor, then strained out the juice and added a tablespoon to a glass of sparkling water. So good! (And so much better for you than soda.)

My toughest challenge is, of course, the sugar demon. It's getting easier not to feel totally crestfallen when I can't have a piece of pie/ice cream/chocolate, etc.

Keep fighting the good fight!

Holly

sunnymama, did you make the 30 seconds mayo? I made it tonight and the method worked perfectly, only I used extra virgin olive oil and it turned out somewhat bitter... The next batch will be perfect though. I plan to buy some avocado oil and use it instead.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yeah, they say to not use *extra virgin* olive oil in making mayo because the olive taste is too overpowering. Use a lighter olive oil. I use a mix of 1/4 c avocado oil and 1 c filippo berio olive oil. Yum!

Maybe I should get some "light" EVOO for more neutral taste... We'll see.

I'm starting day 10 and hoping for a good day :) I noticed that my skin started to improve. It was one of my secret hopes with Whole30 as I've been struggling with acne since I was 12 or 13. So now I have my first visible effect that I wanted. I also sleep better. I used to have terrible problems with my sleep, so that's really a blessing :) I still wake up 2 or 3 times during the night, but I just have a sip of water and go back to sleep while before Whole30 I had nights when I would toss and turn until 4 or 5 AM.

Are there any meatless recipes that we could use for lunch or dinner? I'm really over meat ;) It's hot here and I'd like something light and refreshing, but I fear that a meal of veggies alone (with some dressing I guess) wouldn't hold me very long as there wouldn't be much protein in it...

On another note, I'm really amazed at how much more energy my cats have after I transitioned them to grain free food! (we're still in progress with dry food, but their wet is 100% grain free now ;)). I have 2 crazy paleo tigers now ;-) Which makes feel a bit guilty, because apparently I had made them feel bad or ill for a few months since their came to me... And judging by how much they eat, I won't have an excuse to weigh myself to check if they didn't lost any weight. Actually, at this rate, I may have another excuse - to check if they're not getting too fat ;)

Hi Holly, I've had a long time love affair with the supermarket raspberry seltzer. No calories, no artificial sweetners, etc. Sometimes I put a splash of lemon in it and pretend it's a Cosmo :)

Full disclosure, I don't exercise. I know I have to start, but every time I do I wind up hurting myself. A few years ago I was doing great, doing 30 minutes of HIIT on the treadmill and wound up tearing a tendon in my leg. I think I will just stick to walking on the treadmill and doing some weight training. Hopefully with a less inflammatory diet, I wont be as sore as I usually am after exercising. I don't think I'm brave enough to try the ice bath (BRRRRR). I do love epsom baths, but it's too hot right now to soak in a hot tub.

I've become crazy about sparkling water. Tonight, I pureed ginger in the food processor, then strained out the juice and added a tablespoon to a glass of sparkling water. So good! (And so much better for you than soda.)

Hi Hollyhiggins, welcome... :) Love the sound of the ginger sparkling water, I must try that!

Day 11, I had a smaller breakfast this morning, and by lunch 1pm it was definately time to eat! Amberino, think you were right, my breakfasts were too big. Had a brocolli / spinach / chicken salad with avo....thank goodness for avo. I hope I don't get all avo-ed out! Not much else to substitute it with though, besides seeds and nuts, and I feel you get more bang for your buck with avo.

My OH and I are going away for the weekend, and it's winter here so we off to a cozy log cabin in the mountains. Normally, food and meal planning for me would be central to the planning and the weekend, and quite complex (I love cooking) whereas this morning, running through the list, it was very un-complex, which J was really happy about since he's doing the shopping! Made me realize how much of my lifestyle, celebrations, good times etc are centered around food and wine! I definately have an emotional bond with food. There's no doubt that no wine this weekend will again be hard...especially with a crackling fire and hot pool on the deck....but I'll get my head around it and shall not succumb to temptation! 

Otherwise, feeling ok. Sometimes I do wonder 'why' I am doing this, and need to remind myself how much better I feel. It's just in moments of boredom that I feel I could have something different, non W30. I am a little worried that I react negatively to foods when I go off W30....so I think out of fear, I will continue to eat mostly this way post W30 :wacko:  Energetically and in 'myself' I feel lighter and more relaxed about life, so the positives still far outweigh any boredom / cravings. 

I have 'legs' tonight, and also a body fat measurement with a zooty high tech ultra sound machine. Supposed to be most accurate way of measuring. Let's see. I am trying to dump the scale mindset for body fat to lean muscle ratio. Looking forward to seeing what that's all about!

Sunnymama, sorry I missed your question yesterday. The recipe for 30 seconds mayo is on PaleOMG - basically you just throw an egg, oil, salt, lemon juice/vinegar and any seasoning you want into a tall container and blend it with immersion blender. I think it doesn't even take 30 seconds and the texture is really great. I was always intimidated by these recipes that tell you to pour the oil drop by drop for half an hour ;) So I have never tried making my own mayo before until yesterday :)

Thanks, I will def try that although I'm working with a normal blender.  But hey, for thirty seconds, it's worth a try.   ;)

I am adding some probiotic pickle juice to it tonight to make  a tartar-sauce-ish accompaniment to our fish.

Also, while I have remained compliant I am having cravings today for junk.  Thank goodness for Period Tracker app which tells me I'm officially in week before period again.  Good to know, this is the worst week for me.  My spirits are great but I crave all sorts of crappy food-like things.  Beat it last month and plan to again now.  Really hoping as my hormones balance out this lessens...what a pain to be so off for a week of each month.  

Fiona, where are you located?  OZ or NZ?  We're in our ridiculously hot time, so a cabin in the winter mountains sounds really nice about now!

Day 10 here.  I'm doing really well, lots of energy, no cravings, etc. etc. 

My husband who has been doing whole30 to fix undiagnosed gut issues (IBS?  Leaky gut? something more complicated?) is having a rough time.  Yesterday afternoon he suffered extreme fatigue.  He spent the evening on the toilet with diarrhea, in front of a bucket because he felt like puking (he didn't).  Anyone go through this kind of thing?  Is it some kind of bad bacteria or candida die off?  Ideas?  I hate to see him in so much pain.

Hi Askins, if your husband has IBS then he should be looking at what FODMAPS he's eating. I found that they were the cause of most of my IBS symptoms. There is a foodmap list along with the AI list on the shopping lists.

Yeah,. we are already strictly observing the low-FODMAP list, since these are known to cause most of his issues.  We are also eliminating all fruit except berries and grapes.  We'll add more of the low-FODMAP fruit in later.  He's just really suspicious of fruit. 

Archived