~Support Thread for Week of July 7th Starters/Continue-ers

sunnymama

My lesson for today - when a recipe says to cook a PIECE of belly pork for 4 hours at low heat, it would be wise to reduce cooking time if you are using SLICES  - long story short, i had crackling for dinner  :)

Breakfast - breakfast sausage, red cabbage & apple, fried egg with an extra yolk, sauerkraut

Lunch - thai lime coconut shrimp, chorizo sausage, sweet potato noodles, samphire, cashew pieces (there was a whole lot going on there!). A few cherries after

Snack - coconut butter, a few cherries & a few dried figs (got the grumps not long after this, i could argue i was hot & bothered, but i think we all know it was the sugar  :ph34r: )

Dinner - belly pork crackling, broccoli, sauteed mushrooms, half a sweet potato & some gingered carrots. Some cherries after.

Spent a very warm hour overdosing on vitamin D with my 4-year old in the park - luckily he decided that looking at a small, shaded stream was an interesting thing to do or we'd have roasted  :P Still, no need to take the tablets for another few days!

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Roz- your menu is always so varied and interesting! 

Askins- I hope your husband feels better, and that this is just something he has to get through to get to the other side.  My husband has terrible IBS but is afraid of change, and specifically afraid to try W30, for fear it will make things worse.

Today seemed to be a better day for me, recovered from the grumps a bit.  I think my hormones are out of whack from all this healthy eating. 

I still can't get used to the fact that I'm not hungry all the time :huh: It's very liberating.

Hope everyone is doing well! :)

Berries and grapes can be a challenge. I don't eat grapes anymore. Some berries, but not a lot. In the book, they mention that anything that has a skin that can't be removed (grapes, berries, cherries) should be avoided for IBS people. The fruits I eat are usually pineapple and melon or banana.

Bet, I really do take my hat off to you - it must be so challenging with such limited options!! i'm sure you get used to it, but I just keep opening the fridge to see vegetables I love that i'm avoiding on your suggestion (which I think may be a great one, by the way) and wondering what the heck i'm going to eat. zucchini..again?!?! I keep testing things, last night I had a few things they say you should limit or not eat....and ended up with a gassy, uncomfortable belly. bother. i'm going to put some time in to researching, and I found a couple of sue shepherd's book at the book shop yesterday...

Roz, your pork belly/crackle made me laugh!!

Yeah, the avocado killed me. I think I could do a slice or two. It's weird because I've had IBS since I was a teenage and  now that I know how to control it, I am just not willing to go through what I used go through. I and everyone else thinks, oh, it's just an upset stomach. But now I know what long term damage was done and how hard it is to repair that.

That's why I try to share the info with others, so they can benefit. My husband tells me I have to stop telling people what to eat. But I can't :D

^Keep sharing, don't listen to him!   :D   Following along makes me wonder if I too shouldn't omit avocados for a while also.  I am following the FODMAP list except for those, and honestly it's because I didn't realize they WEREN'T okay until last week.  I feel so much less "swollen" as I call it since I began Whole30, so it's a new normal.  Would omitting avocados create another new normal?  Something to think about I guess.        

Yeah, the avocado killed me. I think I could do a slice or two. It's weird because I've had IBS since I was a teenage and  now that I know how to control it, I am just not willing to go through what I used go through. I and everyone else thinks, oh, it's just an upset stomach. But now I know what long term damage was done and how hard it is to repair that.

That's why I try to share the info with others, so they can benefit. My husband tells me I have to stop telling people what to eat. But I can't :D

Well, I wish you could tell my husband what to eat! :P

Seriously though, did I miss something on avacado?  Does it cause inflamation?

It's a FODMAP. They are just foods that have certain chains of molecules that some people have trouble digesting. Eliminating them has helped people that have IBS, Crohns Disease and Ulcerative Colitis.  Wheat is actually a FODMAP and I think that people that have problems with gluten, but  don't test positive for Celiac may just have a problem with FODMAPS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FODMAP

and I am following it at my own recommendation not due to any diagnosis.  I just want to support gut health from every angle for a while. When I read last month that FODMAPS are difficult to digest for some I figured I'd cut them out just in case.   Pure coincidence that I completely overlooked avocado being one, and as I have one half to a whole one daily, Bet's and the others comments are of interest to me.      

Bet, I completely agree you should keep telling people!! how else will they learn or know?

I admit, I read up lots about food and nutrition and health, but never considered I had a digestive issue until a few weeks ago when I started to wonder whether the bloating and funny tummy I was getting was normal and just due to how much I was eating - I can eat A LOT in one sitting, so just thought it was because I was eating a lot of vegetables. the more I think about it, it wasn't all the time, and happened more when I had certain things. because digestive problems weren't an issue, I haven't spent much time learning about them!!

I can't remember always having this issue though - can digestive issues, IBS, intolerances develop over time?

I was reading that you should stick to a low FODMAP diet for a short period (6-8 weeks) then try reintroducing amounts of some things to see if they still cause reactions? is it possible to "grow" out of it?

Thanks BET, AMBERINO, SUNNYMAMA.  I had skimmed over this section of ISWF because I actually don't have many gi issues, except I do notice, now that I'm not bloated all the time, that sometimes I feel more bloated than others.  I was wondering if that could be avocado.  I hope not!  My poor husband claims he's tried cutting out everything (not sure how true that is, or for how long he's actually done it) and nothing seems to help his IBS.  But I'm the W30 guina pig and maybe some day he'll give it a try (with the low FODMAPS variation). 

Hope everyone has a good day.  Oh I wanted to mention a little accomplishment for me.  I had a family party for my son's 14th birthday.  I made a W30 compliant dinner but I also made an ice cream cake.  :ph34r:  I had a great time, and I really didn't feel too tempted by either the ice cream cake or the wine.  I went to bed last night feeling strong, and today is DAY 13 for me!

Thanks BET, AMBERINO, SUNNYMAMA.  I had skimmed over this section of ISWF because I actually don't have many gi issues, except I do notice, now that I'm not bloated all the time, that sometimes I feel more bloated than others.  I was wondering if that could be avocado.  I hope not!  My poor husband claims he's tried cutting out everything (not sure how true that is, or for how long he's actually done it) and nothing seems to help his IBS.  But I'm the W30 guina pig and maybe some day he'll give it a try (with the low FODMAPS variation). 

Hope everyone has a good day.  Oh I wanted to mention a little accomplishment for me.  I had a family party for my son's 14th birthday.  I made a W30 compliant dinner but I also made an ice cream cake.  :ph34r:  I had a great time, and I really didn't feel too tempted by either the ice cream cake or the wine.  I went to bed last night feeling strong, and today is DAY 13 for me!

well done on the cake and wine!! it's funny how these things don't really seem that tempting any more - Ive been saying "no thanks" to things for a long time (lots of time in comp prep for comps), and you know what? most of the time these things don't taste "nice" any more! theres been a couple of occasions where I've had strange cravings for lollies (candy) or a non-homemade cake. I've had them then wished I hadn't, or taken a small bite and not touched any more. wine is slightly different, I still enjoy a nice glass or two with a good meal :)

and...don't you think it's funny that you don't notice things until you start digging. or eliminating all the rubbish!! it's funny how much we accept as normal, and just live with from day to day.

amber, it's very possible. Some theories are that reactions to FODMAPS is because your gut flora is out of whack. If you avoid them for awhile, your gut can heal and then possibly you could enjoy them again. I had a small amount of broccoli a few weeks ago without  problems.

I have become very interested in gut issues the past year. I have had IBS for a long time, but when I first started having problems, there was not a lot known about it. I had many doctors tell me it's all in my head, it's because I'm too anxious,  I should eat more fiber (which is now thought to be bad for IBS people). The doctors just did not know. Ironically my 'cure' came from my husband reading Wheat Belly (a radio show host that he listens to recommended it). I thought it was bunk. I had considered I had celiac many times, but thought 'I'm not sick enough'. Well day one with no wheat was a 70% turn around. I was amazed. Of course I then started eating all the gluten free junk (I found these amazing gingerbread cookies, yum!). But then I got really sick and was in the hospital. I could have been food poisoning, but it didn't seem right to me. When I got out, I couldn't eat anything solid for weeks. I then found SCD (which is specific carbohydrate diet) and I did that for a few weeks. It's a gut healing diet, mostly chicken broth and purees carrots for a week then slowly introduce foods back in, but never grains, legumes and other bad stuff). It was while following the SCD Lifestyle site that I found out about FODMAPS. Eventually I 'graduated' to a modified Paleo diet.  I was actually on an IBS site when I found out about W30, many people were saying it helped them. So I thought I'd check it out. I feel bad for some of the people on there, so young and sick and on this drug and that drug and some even having surgery to remove pars of their colons. I am almost happy they didn't have those drugs and treatments back when I first started symptoms. I think our medical profession completely ignores the role that diet has in IBS and other digestive issues. They just want to write you a prescription and have you go away. I wasn't happy with that.

What W30 had done for me so far is reduced the inflammation in my joints, especially my elbow which I was having sharp pains and tenderness in. I've also overcome many of my 'yawn' attacks, where I guess my blood sugar was low (even though I tested it and it wasn't that low) and I would be tired and cranky. I also don't snack in between meals, so I hope this is resetting my hormones so I'm not constantly in the insulin mode of being hungry and gaining weight. I do feel slightly thinner, but that isn't my focus. I just want to be healthy and feel good. It's just been a blessing for me to finally be free of the IBS attacks. The worst is not knowing when they will hit and where you will be and if you can get to a bathroom in time. Then having to be at work and go to the bathroom 10 times a day. Very embarrassing and disruptive to getting work done.

I also follow Chris Kresser and I think he is brilliant. I love his take on things and the way he debunks conventional medical advice, especially on diet. If you haven't checked Christ out, you should. His articles on Diabetes and Obesity and Hypothyroidism are fantastic.

https://chriskresser.com/

Cook-up day almost done... Made bolognese sauce, baked bacon, asian-style meatballs, rosemary salt, savoury sweet potato meatloaf, ketchup, coconut butter & hard boiled eggs. And 5 loads of laundry. Just a sausage stew to make for dinner & the small matter of bootcamp this evening *collapses*

Every once in awhile, they have a 'free' lunch here at work. Today was tacos. Of course they announced happily they had 'gluten free or veggie tacos'. But I passed. Last time I partook of the free lunch It did a number on me. So I'm having my left over chicken and squash.

Every once in awhile, they have a 'free' lunch here at work. Today was tacos. Of course they announced happily they had 'gluten free or veggie tacos'. But I passed. Last time I partook of the free lunch It did a number on me. So I'm having my left over chicken and squash.

I'd choose chicken & squash over tacos any day of the week  :)

Breakfast - breakfast sausage, red cabbage & apple & sauerkraut

Lunch - lamb mince, sweet potato noodles, spinach, cashews & balsamic vinegar

Dinner - sausage & mushroom skillet stew with kale. Half a tin of pineapple (leftover from the Mighty Cook-Up) after

Off to bootcamp shortly. It's gonna be a hot one this evening!

Oh, no dried fruit attack today, go me  :D

I really really really really don't think you do :)

day 13 just starting here! we wont be able to do any shopping until later on this afternoon, or tomorrow so running a bit low on most things! (besides cauliflower. we have heaps of cauliflower). luckily our freezer is stocked up, so I don't need to make any meals - we actually need to try and eat most of it this week as our freezer has been playing up and is being repaired on Thursday morning. Wednesday night it needs to be defrosted - I figure if we eat our way through whatever is in there between now and then, a few things will be left and they'll do for Thursday/Friday and maybe Saturday anyway :)

has anyone got any exciting plans for the weekend?

Bet - I feel you. After puttingy kids down, I felt a slight pang of dread that its the weekend. Don't get me wrong I love the weekend and I love whole 30 but it usually was my excuse to go on an eating extravaganza!! With a glass of wine!! :) glad to be here and maybe at the end of 30 days, this cue for weekend indulging will change too.

has anyone else got headaches again? I woke up with one this morning, and it's still persisting....boo!!

it may be due to not enough starchy carbs - I had a small amount at lunch yesterday, and a bit postWO, but none with breakfast or dinner, or breakfast this morning. i'll add them in to lunch and see how I go!

So, back to the IBS issues.  Hubby is feeling much better today, though still with the occasional rumblies.  I happened across the description of days 8-14 in ISWF where it says that even though you generally start to feel better, the gut might still be healing and bugs dying off and all that.  And we're right on track for that timing!

cclarkthirty, I've also been doing a lot of reading on leaky gut/IBS and healing it, and find that many people say you won't see positive results for 2-3 weeks (!) and it can take up to 6 months (!!) to fully heal.  But I read some really encouraging stories of people who were, indeed, able to heal their leaky gut and then reintroduce FODMAPs with no issues.  I'm very hopeful for that outcome for my husband. 

I'm keeping him on all the supplements, except I changed him to a non-HCl digestive enzymes (which immediately relieved his heartburn) and I'm starting gelatin tomorrow (which I think was sunny's suggestion).

Anyway, I'm doing well.  I went to Sprouts today and picked up a bunch of nice meat, including some grass-fed beef that was on sale - yippee!  I got Well Fed in the mail yesterday, and I am so excited to follow the guide in there, start a cook up, do better meal planning.  It's been rather haphazard so far.  The meals have been good, but my fridge is in complete disarray and we've been buying too much food, which is unfortunate on such an expensive eating plan.  I'm used to having so much food around for snacks, and I'm not snacking anymore!  Have to get used to it!

Archived