~Support Thread for Week of July 7th Starters/Continue-ers

sunnymama

Doing great day 17, 4 days of 1-2 mile jogs under my belt since this past Saturday.  It's getting easier every time.  Last night was brined, dry rubbed grilled chicken thighs with rosemary sweet potato chips and grilled tomatoes.  It was divine:-)  I hope you all are doing great!  Still fighting sinus/headache issues, but today hasn't been as bad as the past two days AND hopefully I have 3 new recruits that desperately need to give this a try.  Such a great day!

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, guys.  Hubby's doing better emotionally, and he's moved onto phase 1 of the SCD reintroduction.  So this morning he had pearsauce - yippee!

I'm doing pretty good too - steady on.  My mom is visiting.  She's been eating paleo for a few months, so that's awesome, but she doesn't quite understand about the Whole30.  No, I can't have "Paleo Zucchini Bread" - it's faking a non-paleo food AND it has honey in it!  She's confused.  *sigh*  And she seems so disappointed by it instead of being encouraging.

In other news, my pants are falling off and my shirt looks like a sack.  Time to dig out the smaller clothes!!!  :) :) :)

Great to hear about your hubby, askins!

We had an early WO this morning, good thing I had pre/postWO food - a repairman was here as soon as I got home (on time! Shock horror!) to fix our freezer and I can't get in to my kitchen to make breakfast yet. I hope he's quick!

Hi all,

Just checking in... My energy has been soaring, so happy about that. My eating has been pretty much good. I am concerned about one choice I've made: 5 dates dipped in coconut oil after dinner the past 3 nights. I think it's my sweet tooth creeping up. I am hungry but not really needing this sweet. I just adore the combination. Put a stop to it today though.

Morning everyone, losing track of the days...must be around 17, week 3. I'm dreaming a lot about eating cheat foods and feeling the accompanying guilt when I realise I have cheated! It feels so real that I wake up double checking myself, lol!

Re the dates VAnewbie, I was in a similar habit pre W30, then I read this...and it put me off pronto! http://thepaleodiet.com/fruits-and-sugars/

Not a great week for training, feeling like I had a lot more energy last week. But then I did exercise every day last week. Monday skipped my cardio, and last night it was just too cold to go for a run...and I just wasn't feeling it. BUT i will still get my 3 x strength training sessions in. The guilt I feel for not doing cardio far outweighs if a skip a weights session! Counter intuitive I know, but old thought patterns die hard!

Have a good day all. 

I'm still getting over my cold, and I got some disturbing news at work that threw me for a loop. But I've stuck the plan. In fact I went to bed last night rather than eat something (I felt myself getting hungry). So I'm really hungry now, just waiting for 6:30 to eat (I have to wait an hour after my thyroid pill).

My husband is going to Minneapolis on business next week. He normally makes dinner so I'll be on my own. So I'll have to shop for more compliant food this weekend.

Well done for sticking to the plan, Bet, in a time where previously you may have eaten "just because"!

I'm going out with girlfriends for breakfast on the weekend, and thought I'd email the restaurant just to scope out if I could get a meal that was compliant....the response I got was amazing, so detailed! I asked about cooking oils and preparations of vegetable sides, and said i was avoiding sugar, dairy, gluten and soy. (i didnt mention potato or corn)

How do you like this:

Hi Amber,

thank you for taking the time to email us!

Any variations are possible on any of the menu items that are cooked to order.

So for example, you can ask for scrambled eggs or omelettes to be made without dairy, and specify oil to be used rather than butter, - or none at all, although it is not ideal to use no lubricant.

We use canola or olive oil.

The egg white omelette has ricotta and Pecorino, but again, because it is cooked to order you can ask for it without.

If you ordered the herb and mushroom omelette you would need to specify that the mushrooms be cooked at the time in your pan, as we have mushrooms already cooked off in butter at the start of the day.

The vegetable extras that can be cooked to order in any way you wish are spinach, mushrooms, grilled tomato.

The roasted tomatoes are pre roasted however they are done with sugar and balsamic.

The pumpkin is cooked in one hit on the grill, just in oil, however the grill is used to cook other items that may have had dairy in them so I am not too sure if that is a problem.

Fried eggs are on this grill also, they can be done in a separate pan, however you may have some sticking issues.

Poached eggs will have a trace of vinegar.

The things to absolutely steer away from are those items that are prepared with all those nasties in them already...corn fritters, polenta, potato pancake.

My recommendation would be to go poached eggs with spinach and mushrooms that you can request to be prepared in a separate pan without ANY butter or oil.

I imagine you will need to stress this, as chefs would add oil to a pan without even thinking in a normal situation.

Tomato may be too risky as from scratch it will take too long in a pan and if the grill is used you may suffer some contamination.

But the above order I mentioned is a reasonable breakfast, and shouldn't cause too many waves.

I'm mainly thinking of you when I say this, as I imagine having to have this conversation every where you go gets on your nerves after a while!

I find most good restaurants will cook to order for you like that as long as it is not a busy friday or saturday night.  I worked in a restaurant for years and it was pretty easy to modify the dishes, especially if you told them you had an allergy.  Then they would go out of their way to help you.

I find most good restaurants will cook to order for you like that as long as it is not a busy friday or saturday night. I worked in a restaurant for years and it was pretty easy to modify the dishes, especially if you told them you had an allergy. Then they would go out of their way to help you.

I've never had issues adding or taking food off meals, or asking for changes - but never cared about what food was cooked in or whether they added dairy/sugar/soy sauce etc....I didn't want to be a pain on the day, ordering at the counter when i know it'll be busy, asking a million questions!! At least now I know what I can ask for and won't feel rude or so much like a pain in the bum :)

Good Morning:  Day 19 here. 

Feeling great and like I can conquer the world.  Talked to my sister this morning, she completed her whole 30 not too long ago.  She has fallen off the wagon food wise big time.  I yelled at her, well, strongly admonished her. She had lots of excuses about her trip to New Orleans and that work has been so busy, she is working 12 hours a day and it is so stressful.  She is going to get back on track Monday, yada yada.... blah blah... I told her no excuses you look great and felt great do you want to ruin that?  Beside you are suppose to be my inspiration for staying on track after this and I am going to go through plenty of high stress situations in the next few months too and I am going to get through them, you need to lead the way for me.  You got me into this and I am not letting you out of it.  

On another note I had called my sister this morning to tell her I was brainwashed more than ever.  I took my 3 year old to school this morning and gave him his milk and fruit oatmeal (I am not putting the kids on a whole 30 like diet yet).  I have always been a low/no sugar kind of mom, my kids don't drink juice or get cookies very often and I always make oatmeal for them in the morning with fruit, not the instant stuff.  Real fruit, real oatmeal.  Anyway another mom was there giving her kids strawberry and chocolate milk and donuts they had obviously picked up on the way to the daycare.  I had always looked down on these folks a little before, but I tried not to judge too much, so many of the kids come in with pop tarts and sugary cereals all the time.  But this morning I could not help but to think “no wonder your kids are such hellions, I can't believe you feed your kids that junkâ€

I am officially super judgey.  Ugh..just have to remember to keep it to myself.

My primary reason for living the whole 30 right now is to practice what I preach.  I need to learn how to eat better so my kids will learn how to eat better. 

I admit, a trip to NO would set me back quite a bit....

Hey, I am wearing my size 10 jeans that I couldn't zip up a few weeks ago! How about that. I am starting to look/feel different. I plan on staying on the W30, for the most part. I do want to reintroduce eggs and dairy, only because we are going away in August and I don't want to eat stuff like that for the first time on vacay, could be bad.

I admit, a trip to NO would set me back quite a bit....

Hey, I am wearing my size 10 jeans that I couldn't zip up a few weeks ago! How about that. I am starting to look/feel different. I plan on staying on the W30, for the most part. I do want to reintroduce eggs and dairy, only because we are going away in August and I don't want to eat stuff like that for the first time on vacay, could be bad.

I am also in a size 10 jean today. I have not worn these jeans in years!!

Congrats to you both on getting in to your jeans - that must be an awesome feeling!

My sense of smell has heightened so much - it was pretty good before, we ate limited processed food or added sugars etc, so I could smell things with lots of sugar but it didn't bother me too much......last night we went out with friends to a quiz night and there was lollies/chocolate (not good, dark chocolate) and cans of coke etc. the smell was a huge turn off - it was horrible!! I think doing the whole 30 has made me even more sensitive to it..

It's super funny that everyone is talking about pants fitting - I came on here to tell you all that I am officially down a pant size!  I am now wearing pants that I bought after my DS was born, which I can only assume means that I have now lost the baby weight from DD's pregnancy!  I'm over the moon! 

I switched all my work pants around this afternoon and boxed up the big ones.  I really want to go buy one more pair in the new size, but.... I'm hoping I won't be in this size for very long...  :) :) :):P

Who feels great today? I do! I did a meditation podcast on grief and it was very cathartic. I think I needed it. I also did the treadmill for 25 minutes (and tripped on it :o ) . I know our W30 is up next week, but I want to keep going.

It's so great to read all your tiger blood posts! I'm down a pant size too, at least, but more importantly, feel great. I have been super busy these last few days and this weekend am at a family reunion so I've been reading, but not writing, on the forum. Everyone, keep up the good work!

Well, I went out for breakfast and got what I hope was a delicious compliant breakfast....extremely lacking in vegetables for me, but I expected that!

I ordered an omelette with cherry tomato and spinach (took out the ham and roasted capsicum and cheese on ordering), asked for it to be cooked in olive oil, and had it with avo and rocket. I also asked for no dairy to be added...

My tummy does feel a little off though - I'm not sure if it was more fat than I'm used to, or the avo (haven't had that in a whole).....or if there were traces of dairy perhaps in the pan (if they used an old pan that perhaps had butter, although I couldn't taste butter). Fingers crossed!

We were out for lunch yesterday, I asked hubby if we could go to to something other than fast food (although Burger King has those sweet potato fries that are to die for ). So we went to a local diner.  I asked for a salmon filet with a side of sautéed spinach. The salmon normally came with a bunch of stuff on it, so I said I wanted it plain. It came with a little ramekin with whatever sauce was normally on top. I tasted it and it was really good. I know there was crab meat in it, but I'm not sure what else. I would up eating all of it. Afterwards my stomach had a weird warm and tingly. I have no idea what was in it. I also had some fresh strawberries with dinner. Yum.

We were out for lunch yesterday, I asked hubby if we could go to to something other than fast food (although Burger King has those sweet potato fries that are to die for ). So we went to a local diner. I asked for a salmon filet with a side of sautéed spinach. The salmon normally came with a bunch of stuff on it, so I said I wanted it plain. It came with a little ramekin with whatever sauce was normally on top. I tasted it and it was really good. I know there was crab meat in it, but I'm not sure what else. I would up eating all of it. Afterwards my stomach had a weird warm and tingly. I have no idea what was in it. I also had some fresh strawberries with dinner. Yum.

You're brave eating something when you don't know what it is!!

Good Morning:  Day 21.  Woke up this morning with a headache.  I went to a rock concert that night.  It started at 4:30 so I was worried about what I was going to have for dinner.  I ate a bunch of olives on my way to the show and packed a bag of carrots, a bag of nuts, and a few lara bars.  (most people sneak marijuana into shows, I sneak in carrots) I drank plenty of water, two 32 oz bottles, but my head really hurt this morning.  I think too much sugar from the lara bars.  I dunno.  It went away after I ate this morning.  I also tried a magnesium supplement last night.  Maybe that was it.  I guess I'll know tomorrow if I wake up with a headache after I have taken the same supplement.

Here is to a successful outing!!

(most people sneak marijuana into shows, I sneaks carrots in)

HAHA, you should post that in the 'You know you are on Whole 30 when...) thread.

I just read this fantastic (but sometimes depressing) book called eat on the wild side. It's all about fruit and vegetables and how they evolved (with or without man's input) and why the produce in our supermarkets may not be as healthy as we think it is:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2013/07/10/195592468/Eating-On-The-Wild-Side-A-Field-Guide-To-Nutritious-Food

So at WF today, I picked up some red leaf lettuce and some baby bananas (I wanted to try the red bananas but they didn't have those, I may have to go to the De Kalb farmers market for that). I'm having canned salmon on top of the lettuce with my new unfiltered olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Very good.

Hi all, the family reunion weekend is over, and my Day 22 is over.  Whew!  I have to say, the past two nights were the toughest for me by far.  I have a very "festive" family, and at my parents house on the lake, it was quite the party weekend.  I was helping to host the weekend, so was busy preparing food and cleaning, and boy did I want a glass of wine.  It was really the only time in three weeks so far that I've felt deprived.  There was birthday cake too, and I wasn't really interested in that which made me happy.  But I was very irritable at points, feeling sorry for myself, like I was the only one suffering!  But I stayed the course and I stayed mindful, noticing the kind of destructive (and just plain false) thoughts I was having.  I reminded myself, a lot, that I was the lucky one because I was taking care of myself in this new way and I felt so good about it.  It did help.  I ate and drank 100% clean.

It felt like a huge hurdle.

Archived