~Support Thread for Week of July 7th Starters/Continue-ers

sunnymama

i heated the curry in the pan first, broke the eggs on top then mixed them through to cook.

i just make cauli rice like Roz suggested - whiz up cauliflower, and usually broccoli, in the food processor til rice like. i tend to make a lot at once, but whiz in small batches. i find if i do too much at once it nearly turns to mash!! i cook it with salt, pepper, spices etc to add some flavour....

we love cauli/leek mash too - steam chunks of cauliflower, leek, and garlic if you like it, then process with a bit of salt. delicious! i'm sure you could add coconut oil or ghee to make it more decadent.

Thanks, I'm going to give the rice a try! I love cauli mash, haven't had with leeks yet so will give that a bash too.

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the runny nose and headache are Whole30 symptoms i think? that are supposed to get better!!

i can't say that anything has upset me....we walked through the food court at the shopping centre today (open area with lots of food vendors, tables etc) and everything repulsed me though, i didn't want any of it! luckily my husband and i are doing this together, and theres only us in our house - there isn't a lot of readily available temptation! most non-compliant foods require preparation :)

hope you start to feel better soon

Thanks!  I hope so too.  I took some allergy medicine (I'm allergic to dust mites,mold, ect and here in NC it's rained so much the gardens need umbrellas, 90% probability of rain on Mondays, if that says anything).  I shoved on, eating an egg, oven-poached in an avocado with some bacon this morning.  I bought two approved Larabars last night and on the side of caution to not invoke my sugar-starved brain, I have decided to divide them into three servings each, once a day.  I caved yesterday and while I know sweet potatoes are approved, I've tried to abstain but I seriously needed something more carb dense to help me out yesterday.  I had reached a point of almost panic but the 1/2 a small sweet potato and some cashews calmed me and I made it thru the day.  

can i just ask....is tasting food when you cook it "allowed"? not at meal times, but if you're cooking a big batch of stuff - i always try my food to make sure it's seasoned properly, or tastes nice.

I haven't really thought about it... but I always do it as well. How else do I know if the food tastes OK? I think that there's nothing wrong with taste-testing while you're cooking as long as you don't end up eating half of the food in the process ;)

I AM DEVASTATED AND NEED ADVICE ASAP

I had heartburn develop in the past hour (I have to take nexium daily to battle GERD) and being that I'd already taken my nexium dose, I went right down the hall without even thinking twice and asked my office mate for a tums.  I put in my mouth for maybe a total of 2 minutes before the sweet hit me and I panicked and spit it out.. 

Start over or keep going???  I could cry, again, right now. :(

Sucrose, first ingredient...

I had heartburn develop in the past hour (I have to take nexium daily to battle GERD) and being that I'd already taken my nexium dose, I went right down the hall without even thinking twice and asked my office mate for a tums.  I put in my mouth for maybe a total of 2 minutes before the sweet hit me and I panicked and spit it out.. 

Jen - I would DEFINITELY keep going! Tack on an extra day (or meal) at the end of the 30 days if it will make you feel better but I think it was an honest mistake. I don't think the amount of sugar in the medicine will derail you.  

Happy Day 4! I'm another person with bad seasonal allergies, and it seems to be a little worse the last couple of days. Maybe it's my body detoxing? Or it could just be all of the rain!

Yes, hoping it's the rain.  Mine were over until we became a sub tropical rain forest.  Probably a bit of detoxing and allergies combined for the everyone doing this with a history of allergies.

Jen - I would DEFINITELY keep going! Tack on an extra day (or meal) at the end of the 30 days if it will make you feel better but I think it was an honest mistake. I don't think the amount of sugar in the medicine will derail you.  

i agree with Lainey - and it's not like you starting taking them because you needed a sugar fix!

don't stress, you'll do yourself more harm stressing than you would have from the sugar!

Day 4.  Going really well.  Threw away first batch of home-made mayo and then made a perfect batch by following the directions in Well-Fed.  Then I created my own salad dressing by adding a little vinegar and dill.  Wahoo - that opens up a whole lot of new doors since virtually NO salad dressing in restaurants will be legal.  I'm getting the hang of keeping things at work (like the salad dressing and canned tuna and salmon) that I can put on a salad for those times when I have to eat out with others.  And speaking of eating out with other:

I have learned that saying "no thanks - I don't eat sugar (or whatever)" with no explanation of WHY is really effective at stopping people from encouraging me to eat something I don't want.  MUCH better than saying "I can't eat sugar (or whatever)" which is an invitation to talk me into it. 

Fiona - Well Fed is definitely worth the purchase :-) There's only one recipe that isn't Whole30 & she gives loads of tips for quick prep & sauces etc. Well Fed 2 is coming out soon too *excited dance*

Thanks Roz, will definately download it! I love cooking and thinking up new ideas, but even so, I know I've got to keep this Whole30 thing creative, otherwise the food boredom factor slips in.  

Day 4. Going really well. Threw away first batch of home-made mayo and then made a perfect batch by following the directions in Well-Fed. Then I created my own salad dressing by adding a little vinegar and dill. Wahoo - that opens up a whole lot of new doors since virtually NO salad dressing in restaurants will be legal. I'm getting the hang of keeping things at work (like the salad dressing and canned tuna and salmon) that I can put on a salad for those times when I have to eat out with others. And speaking of eating out with other:

I have learned that saying "no thanks - I don't eat sugar (or whatever)" with no explanation of WHY is really effective at stopping people from encouraging me to eat something I don't want. MUCH better than saying "I can't eat sugar (or whatever)" which is an invitation to talk me into it.

How good is the mayo?!? I've made two batches already! I love thinning it down with ACV for salad dressing

Today is day "2" of my Whole 30. I am doing great and getting ready to make some eggs and head off to the gym. The only hard thing is that my husband is a home brewer and has he occasional loaf of ACME bread in the house! I know I can control myself, but it will be a challenge to be around those things!

Its great to be here!

day 4!

yesterday was a tough one for me, just because i had 'the hangover' all day. but i did it!

and last night my amazing fiance made us paleo fried chicken and sweet potato chips for dinner. which kinda made me feel like i was cheating, even though nothing about the meal was non-whole30. but i'm not sure if it was in the spirit of the program. maybe a little SWYPO... so we probably won't make that dinner a regular thing. but gosh it was amazing! :)

now off to have some bacon and eggs for breakfast!

Good morning!  I started my whole 30 on Monday as well.  I thought I might introduce myself and join the thread.  This is my first whole 30 and I'm looking forward to reaping  the healthy benefits. 

I've had a couple of the first days side effects (headach-y, tired stuff).  I am also seeing some positives as well (mood, focus).

I've spent a lot of time reading the website and forums and plan to go out and buy a couple of books this weekend. :)

Brenda 

Hi Jen, don't start over.

Also, if you are taking Nexium everyday for GERD, you may find that doing W30 will help that. I used to have bad GERD and using HCL and digestive enzymes helped tremendously. If you've been taking acid reducers for awhile, it may take some time to get off of them, but you should do it. Those drugs do make you feel better, but actually make the conditions that caused the GERD (low stomach acid, not too much stomach acid) worse.

Good morning!  I started my whole 30 on Monday as well.  I thought I might introduce myself and join the thread.  This is my first whole 30 and I'm looking forward to reaping  the healthy benefits. 

I've had a couple of the first days side effects (headach-y, tired stuff).  I am also seeing some positives as well (mood, focus).

I've spent a lot of time reading the website and forums and plan to go out and buy a couple of books this weekend. :)

Brenda 

I just joined this thread today as well, as my Day 4 morning was rough.  I woke up on a complete fog, sinus headache and wanted a bagel, but I persevered.  As far as mood, everything makes me weepy.  There's not a thing happy "cry" in your post but I got teary eyed.  Perhaps it's just knowing you are exactly where I am (maybe not as bad) and finding someone who is in this too makes me want to cry, realizing I'm not alone.  I'm seriously out of whack today but I am just going to take it a minute at a time.  

I am not craving any food. I think the key for me was to balanace my meals with enough protien and the right carbs and enough fat to tide me over.

I went through a bad spell last year and wound up in the hosptial. They weren't sure what it was, but I now think it was a bad SIBO attack (I went to the movies the day before and had a bunch of butterfingers). Once I got out, my stomach was so sore, I could only drink broth and pureed veggies for weeks. But that got me to find SCD and really heal myself. I had severe inflammation throughout my stomach and small intestines. Gastro wanted me on Prilosec, but I said no, I knew that was a merry go round I'd never get off.

So since last year I've been grain/added sugar free. And honestly when I see 'goodies' It kind of turns my stomach and makes me remember being in the ER in extreme pain. I started W30 because of some lingering sugar issues and to do the full AI Protocol. I had gotten into the habit of eating very small meals often (for a long time any full meal would cause me pain). That was causing sugar highs and lows.  I thought I would miss milk/eggs/wine/chocolate, but not yet. Nothing like being sick as a dog to make you not want to look back.

Hi Jen, don't start over.

Also, if you are taking Nexium everyday for GERD, you may find that doing W30 will help that. I used to have bad GERD and using HCL and digestive enzymes helped tremendously. If you've been taking acid reducers for awhile, it may take some time to get off of them, but you should do it. Those drugs do make you feel better, but actually make the conditions that caused the GERD (low stomach acid, not too much stomach acid) worse.

Thanks so much.  I hadn't had not even the slightest issue until today when I had a few bites of some unsweetened applesauce with cinnamon.  Cinnamon may be a "no-go" for me, or it could be the apples.  Thinking it was the applesauce.  I definitely want to get off as much medication as I possible can, Nexium being the only thing I am on now on a regular basis.  

I caved yesterday and while I know sweet potatoes are approved, I've tried to abstain but I seriously needed something more carb dense to help me out yesterday.  I had reached a point of almost panic but the 1/2 a small sweet potato and some cashews calmed me and I made it thru the day.  

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Why are people preferring to avoid sweet potatoes...this is not the first comment I've seen like this?  Unless it's just a personal dislike or allergy...is there some reason to avoid them?  I have been 99% following the low FODMAP shopping list and sweet potatoes are one of the best things you can have.  

(And I am not insinuating anyone is wrong to avoid them...just wondering if I am missing something as they've been a huge help to me energy wise.)         

Also I need to learn to eat canned salmon, any Canned Salmon 101 pointers.  Does it taste like tuna?  As much as I love fish I've never liked salmon because the pink color reminds me of raw meat...but that is a childhood thing that I'd like to get over this month.  Also need to introduce it to my kids.  

Thank you in advance!   :)

Sweet potatoes are one of the things that AFTER you've been Whole30-ing for a while IN THE EVENT that you weren't losing weight any more you MIGHT want to CONSIDER cutting back on, like fruit. But no point cutting them out during the Whole30, they can make life a whole lot easier! I love them  :wub:

Breakfast - mince, mushrooms, pumpkin/butternut squash mix, an egg & homemade salsa

Lunch - braised hearts, beetroot & courgette noodles. Kiwi fruit after

Snack - coconut butter

Snack #2 - chicken drumstick, a few cherries & some dried figs. Then a few more dried figs...

Dinner - lemon rosemary salmon with greens & probably some sweet potato, hurrah!  :lol:

Got serious munchies this afternoon! I haven't needed a 2pm snack for quite a while, but today i really did. Battled cravings on & off until snack 2, since when i've been idly nibbling dried figs  :ph34r: Maybe i didn't have enough lunch. Gah.

We enjoyed some cauliflower-and-sweet-potato-mash last night! 

I think we're emerging from detox over here on Day 3.  My super-cranky husband was attentive and sweet - I feel like i've got him back a little bit.

I haven't been hungry between meals AT ALL.   This is incredible for me, because I've been a "6 small meals a day" person for about 8 years.  I had no idea how much time I spent every day thinking about what I was going to eat next, when I was going to eat next, if I should be eating, and actually snacking.  I feel like I've been set free!

I haven't been hungry between meals AT ALL.   This is incredible for me, because I've been a "6 small meals a day" person for about 8 years.  I had no idea how much time I spent every day thinking about what I was going to eat next, when I was going to eat next, if I should be eating, and actually snacking.  I feel like I've been set free!

________________________________________________________________________________________________

I feel the same way!!!  

Roz thanks for the book link.  I haven't even finished ISWF (ducking :ph34r: )...just sort of looked at the rules and jumped in.  Thought maybe there is some negative to SP's that everyone else knows and I have been blissfully eating these things daily, OOPS.        

Archived