~Support Thread for Week of July 7th Starters/Continue-ers

sunnymama

So I made the Well Fed cauliflower rice pilaf...it was tasty enough but I guess I was sort of expecting something a bit more dense, it was not-quite-filling-enough for me. Had some ground beef (we call it mince!) with it and it was ok, but I was still snacky afterwards. Whizzed up a frozen banana with coconut milk, cocoa and a tsp almond butter, and then felt more satisfied. Not ideal, and I now realize that I *need* my usual sweet potato or butternut with dinner. With a dense veg such as SP, I would not have needed the after dinner 'treat'. It really is a balancing act and about listening to your body!

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I didn't have sweet potatoes and BN Squash, I would have anything else left!

If you do get canned salmon, try to get wild caught red salmon. It's pretty good. If you put some olive juice on it, it kills the fishy taste. And yes, you can eat the bones in there.....

I haven't been hungry between meals AT ALL.   This is incredible for me, because I've been a "6 small meals a day" person for about 8 years.  I had no idea how much time I spent every day thinking about what I was going to eat next, when I was going to eat next, if I should be eating, and actually snacking.  I feel like I've been set free!

This! I was thinking I was being smart by having small meals in between, but now I see it just caused me to not eat a full meal and then obsess about what snack I was going to have. I've been taking a long time to finish a meal, sometimes a full hour, but I am finishing. And then I am not hungry again for 4-5 hours. I know when I was snacking I was probably overeating. And all the wrong stuff that would give me sugar highs and lows.

So I made the Well Fed cauliflower rice pilaf...it was tasty enough but I guess I was sort of expecting something a bit more dense, it was not-quite-filling-enough for me. Had some ground beef (we call it mince!) with it and it was ok, but I was still snacky afterwards. Whizzed up a frozen banana with coconut milk, cocoa and a tsp almond butter, and then felt more satisfied. Not ideal, and I now realize that I *need* my usual sweet potato or butternut with dinner. With a dense veg such as SP, I would not have needed the after dinner 'treat'. It really is a balancing act and about listening to your body!

You might want to steer clear of banana/almond butter combos, it's a bit too "puddingy" for Whole30. But i'm glad to find someone else who eats Mince & not Ground Beef  :P

You might want to steer clear of banana/almond butter combos, it's a bit too "puddingy" for Whole30. But i'm glad to find someone else who eats Mince & not Ground Beef  :P

Yep agree, definately too pudding like, so we won't do that too often! Awareness is half the battle, right!? Rather have a more substantial supper with a sweet potato / squash in future!

Lol, thought I would just clarify mince is ground beef in South Africa in case someone thought it was the stuff that goes into Christmas mince pies!

Hi everyone :) Checking in after day 3. It went really well. I had beef + veggies + walnuts for breakfast. I also had some blueberries and a coffee with coconut milk. Then a bowl of homemade curry for lunch. And then after SEVEN HOURS and a workout I had a quick snack of about 1/2 sweet potato + 1/2 can of tuna.

I know that maybe I shouldn't have gone for so long between lunch and this snack and should have eaten something before the WOD, but first I wasn't hungry at all and when I started feeling like maybe kind of I could eat something it was 5 minutes to the WOD and I didn't want to risk the snack coming back to me ;) However, the faces of people seeing me eating some orange mush out of tupperware on a bus - priceless ;)

For dinner I had green beans ("pasta") with bolognese sauce and olives + 2 dried apricots and a bit of almond butter.

I feel OK in general. I had some problems sleeping but that might have been because of my cats screaming like crazy 3 different times during the night ;) I don't want to kill anyone (yet). I did the WOD with more or less the result that I expected. I don't have any out of this world energy levels or anything. But I feel good, am not hungry every 5 minutes, so that's cool :)

Hello there! It's Thursday, and I'm on day 4 of my first Whole 30. I haven't really had cravings, exactly, but I have had doubts. I don't have a medical reason (that I know about) to try this, although I am convinced (by the book) that changing my diet may reveal some reasons (Seasonal allergies & sleep issues, for example). I haven't found it too difficult, and I love what I've been eating, but I also have found myself thinking, "Why again am I denying myself the freedom to eat a piece of cheese or one of my favorite granola bars?" 

Well, I promised myself I would partake in this experiment, so that after 30 days I could see what would happen when I reintroduce the banished food groups. I will try never to reintroduce added sugar and white flour products, but I do hope that I will find that an occasional piece of cheese or grainy snack won't be a major setback. 

I think my biggest fear is that I'll get through this and then after I reintroduce the foods, I'll slip right back to my old eating habits. But I suppose this still wouldn't be a waste of time, because I will have learned something. 

My sister did her first Whole 30 in the spring and is doing it with me now. She is so excited and says, "just wait until week 3!" like there's some big prize waiting for me when I get there....That's helping to motivate me. I think I should also visit this thread every day. 

So I'm on day 4, having started Monday, July 8. 

is it good mixed up like tuna salad with olives or pickles, celery, capers, etc?  

Yes, it's fairly mild tasting. If you get canned salmon go for the reddest. The intesting of color means more good stuff.

I'm ending day 4 and I'm pretty sure I've hit the grumpy stage because right now I'm completely negative about all of this. I am the point where I'd just rather not eat anything rather than stick a piece of meat in my mouth.

I feel like if I have to stick another piece of meat or another egg in my mouth that I'm going to gag. I wasn't a big meat eater before starting W30. Maybe two or three times a week.

I also feel the same as Sarah...I don't really have a medical reason to do this aside from my unhealthy relationship with food.  That's the only reason I keep going.

I guess I'll just keep pushing.  I have a big pot of Paleo chili simmering on my stove right now and I hope to be able to eat on it for the next few days.  This weekend will be hard for me. Breakfast is super easy...I don't mind eggs and bacon or even just boiled eggs.  Lunch I hate because I feel like I only get salad although today I had grilled chicken and steamed broccoli. It was good.  Dinner was taco "salad"....taco meat, lettuce and tomato.  

Sorry to be such a complainer tonight.

Browneyedgirl, I feel your pain. You aren't alone here.

Day 4: Today was better for me, no snacking. I'm headed on a long drive tomorrow, meeting, then another long drive. The person I'm meeting is cooking lunch for us: steamed fish stuffed w crab. I'm nervous because I am totally committed but really don't want to offend anyone. So, I opted to tell him I'm not eating dairy, soy, or sugar... Rather than explain the program via email. Crossing my fingers and going to pack a lunch of tuna with mushed avocado just in case.

Today's Breakfast: 2 eggs fried in ghee, tomatoes, spinach

Lunch: chocolate chili w delicata squash, 1/2 kiwi

Dinner: Spaghetti squash w tomatoes, basil, coconut milk. Chicken strips pan fried in coconut oil, 1/2 nectarine

we call it mince in Australia too :)

i'm not sure what was in your cauli rice, but make sure you're adding fat to your meal, as well as the carbs you realised you need!

I like adding "edible" fat - like avo or mayo, or nuts if you're eating them - rather than relying on cooking fat or adding oils.

I haven't read a book either - nor do I have any recipe books!! i'm just going by what I've read about the program online....

we also don't have a medical reason to follow the program, although I think we may have some intolerance to dairy, and G may react to grains. I decided to do it to see if we can work these out, and also see if I can let go of my control over food. we've been eating pretty well for about 2 years, with very limited processed food - I have no issues with "splurging" on food I think is worth it, i'm definitely not going to deprive myself forever if I have no issues with different foods. we've been used to 6 meals a day for so long, as well as tracking macros religiously. I was getting sick of it - it is necessary for us in some situations (if we were prepping for a competition) but I don't want to be glued to tracking macros forever!

Woke up this morning and my first thought was blurgh I can't face protein. I'm feeling a bit over the meat / fish / chicken today and don't have much of an appetite for it at all. Will persevere though, probably all normal responses. The constant meal planning / prep is also getting to me a bit, so this weekend I'm going to spend time having a cook up to prep for the weeks meals, following tips in Well Fed. Also bought a slow cooker to help with meal prep. Anything to get better organized! In the long run, it's also more economical planning / prepping this way, so it's all good.

Good luck for the weekend everyone!

Hello every one,

Great to see all this going on. I started yesterday 11th and wondered if it´s ok if I jumped in here too. ? 

This is my second attempt  First one being in May when I stupidly gave in on the 26th day. I didn´t really lose weight back then (but maybe "time of the month" ) had something to do with what the scales said and my giving in. 

The main thing was that after the first week I felt so good and I want to get back that feeling. 

Look forward to getting to know you all.

Day 4... and I feel I'm entering "kill everyone" phase ;) I barely slept during the night - woke up 4 or 5 times due to my crazy cats / dogs barking outside / bathroom / I don't know what the hell else... I had a good breakfast of eggs, broccoli, avocado and tomatoes and am now drinking coffee with some coconut milk and looking forward to the weekend. Also, after my breakfast I had this feeling that if I have to eat more meat or eggs today, I'll surely die. But hopefully I'll change my mind when I'm hungry again ;)

Fiona, I didn't do as much prep as I'd have normally done for how we used to eat, but did pretty well - I made a big pot of osso bucco, chilli, green chicken curry. These were all left to simmer on the stove together :) I also baked lots of sweet potato and pumpkin, and some chicken beast as well as hard boiling some eggs.

We still have over 7 frozen meals worth of food, plus a couple of roasts and portioned pieces of meat that we can use for dinners.

Ill probably make a big pot of veggie based tomato sauce that I can add things to for bolognaise or to have with eggs etc.

We're on holidays until the end of next week, so have time for more elaborate prep. I'm going to stock up the freezer over the week to make the weeks after holidays easier :)

Also, after my breakfast I had this feeling that if I have to eat more meat or eggs today, I'll surely die. But hopefully I'll change my mind when I'm hungry again ;)

I can TOTALLY relate. Hopefully the hunger overwhelms the protein rebellion! 

Fiona, I didn't do as much prep as I'd have normally done for how we used to eat, but did pretty well - I made a big pot of osso bucco, chilli, green chicken curry. These were all left to simmer on the stove together :) I also baked lots of sweet potato and pumpkin, and some chicken beast as well as hard boiling some eggs.

We still have over 7 frozen meals worth of food, plus a couple of roasts and portioned pieces of meat that we can use for dinners.

Ill probably make a big pot of veggie based tomato sauce that I can add things to for bolognaise or to have with eggs etc.

We're on holidays until the end of next week, so have time for more elaborate prep. I'm going to stock up the freezer over the week to make the weeks after holidays easier :)

You are VERY organized, I'm impressed. That's gonna be me this weekend, their is a cold front moving in so I might as well hole up in the kitchen and get sorted! We have two fridges / freezers (and there are only 2 of us) but it makes things much easier. I just want to spend a day on it and get it done so that I don't have to think about what to cook all the time. My time spent shopping is better, I'm only going 3 times a week, want to get that down to one big shop then a top up for fresh stuff once a week. Forward planning is my new mantra!

I must say, I don't feel like I have lost any weight (in fact I'm looking more pudgy but that could be water retention from being on cortisone this week) and I am following portion guidelines...but maybe because I've not done any exercise this week due to this sinus thing. Back on that wagon next week too! 

I feel slightly pudgey too....I'm hoping that its likely our bodies aren't used to eating this way, and holding on to things differently. I definitely know I wasn't eating this much fat before, and was eating more carbs...

Oh glad to hear it's not just me...I am not going to weigh for 30 days, but I just *looked* pudgy this morning. Hello muffin tops?! I was definately eating more unrefined carbs, and less fat before. Generally the meat that I have been eating now has been lean-ish, but I have been having 1/4-1/2 avo nearly every day, and I am a little wary of sweet potatoes...but need them to feel satiated. 

I wonder if anyone else has experienced initial pudgy-ness at the start of ISWF30, and then found that they lost it when they re-callibrated? Going to do some research. 

Oh glad to hear it's not just me...I am not going to weigh for 30 days, but I just *looked* pudgy this morning. Hello muffin tops?! I was definately eating more unrefined carbs, and less fat before. Generally the meat that I have been eating now has been lean-ish, but I have been having 1/4-1/2 avo nearly every day, and I am a little wary of sweet potatoes...but need them to feel satiated. 

I wonder if anyone else has experienced initial pudgy-ness at the start of ISWF30, and then found that they lost it when they re-callibrated? Going to do some research. 

I wouldn't say that's a lot of fat. I have a whole avocado almost everyday split between meals. I also eat nuts and seeds on my salads, coconut milk in my coffee and of course I cook with oil/ghee. And sweet potatoes are my love :)

Magda, I also didn't think it was excessive, but I've still got that old mind set of fat + carbs (even SP's) = bad. Need to forget it. 

Hmmmm I think I'm going to put it down to body 're-callibrating'. Weight loss is not my primary goal, healthier eating habits and healthier relationship with food is my goal, BUT I am hopeful to lose a few kgs along the way, without obsessing too much. I think body composition is already starting to change, and it's inevitable that stuff will shift around a bit. 

Magda, I also didn't think it was excessive, but I've still got that old mind set of fat + carbs (even SP's) = bad. Need to forget it.

Hmmmm I think I'm going to put it down to body 're-callibrating'. Weight loss is not my primary goal, healthier eating habits and healthier relationship with food is my goal, BUT I am hopeful to lose a few kgs along the way, without obsessing too much. I think body composition is already starting to change, and it's inevitable that stuff will shift around a bit.

You sound like me! I eat A LOT - I did before too - but I'm wondering if I'm adding too much fat. I haven't been getting hungry between meals since the first couple of days, so maybe I can cut it back a bit. I started cooking with fat, whereas I never used to - I might leave this fat out and just add it to my finished dish and see if that effects body comp or hunger!

Archived