~Support Thread for Week of July 7th Starters/Continue-ers

sunnymama

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey everyone, happy Friday! 

cclarkthirty ~ I am also going to the lake tomorrow with some friends, and feel like it's going to my first real test. I already have my compliant foods that I'm going to bring when everyone is grilling out. I placed an order with US Wellness on Monday, and will be bringing my sugar-free hotdogs from US Wellness, avocados, apples, ranch dressing made from the olive oil mayo, celery and carrot sticks, and sparkling water to sip on while everyone is drinking beer. Ranch dressing, celery, and carrots will be for everyone to munch on. The hardest part will be saying no to beer and drinks, but I know I can do it! 

Great ideas Lainey.  It's definitely about being in these familiar situations and environments and establishing a different habit.  I'm going to focus on having fun w/o alcohol and being really present so I can feed myself in the way is was meant to be fed!  I also think it'll be important to get exercise because that's part of my routine that makes me feel good. 

Have a great time Lainey.  Let us know how it goes.

I've been gluten free for awhile. A few months ago, there was an orgy of baked goods in the break room at work. Donuts in the am (the fancy kinds) then all kinds of mini cupcakes and other goodies. I wanted to kill someone.

Yes. Worst I have experienced was the "green party" some parents organized in my kids 3rd grade classroom. Green ice cream, green frosting on cookies, green drinks which i think wasnjuice dyed green. Some celery with ranch dip dyed green. This was for St. Patricks day. I picked him up early so he wouldn't be there. I don't want to be snotty about it but really????? These are 8 years olds.

Top day  :) Feeling the return of not-exactly-Tiger Blood, but a sort of deep joy. I can laugh at my insane 4-year old's antics instead of being irritated by him. This morning, while queueing up outside school with my daughter (age 5), i was chasing her along a wall, pretending to sneak up. She thought it was really funny, but i was getting some  :angry:  :huh:  :o  looks from the other parents...

Breakfast - mince, pumpkin/butternut squash mix, mediterranean roast veggies & a duck egg, with some sauerkraut

Lunch - leftover moroccan lamb stew & cauliflower rice pilaf, & some cherries after

Dinner - caribbean oxtails & kale, gingered carrots (my latest fermentation!) & a kiwi fruit after.

Off out to my weekly functional fitness thing in a bit. Saved myself a chicken thigh to eat afterwards...

Day 4 done :) It went OK. Breakfast was 3 HB eggs, 1/2 avocado, broccoli and cherry tomatoes. Lunch was the last serving of vieggie & chicken curry. Post-WO I had some tuna and sweet potato and for dinner - a salad with more tuna, lettuce, apple, mustard and walnuts. Plus two coffees with coconut milk in the meantime. Overall, really a nice day.

A few times today I caught myself feeling "strangely good" emotionally. I was in a good mood even though nothing particular happened, I was calm and content :) However, that makes me realize that if simply feeling good seems weird then I'd mostly been in a bad mood / stressed for the last 30 years?!?! WTF??? Hopefully a permanent change in this area is coming soon :)

Today is day 5 for me.  The biggest noticeable change for me is how long I stay full.  Like really full.  I don't want anything.  I'm finding today that here, where I would regularly snack, I am bored.  My tummy is full, but my brain is telling me it is time to eat.  Very very weird.

Brenda

Top day  :) Feeling the return of not-exactly-Tiger Blood, but a sort of deep joy. I can laugh at my insane 4-year old's antics instead of being irritated by him. This morning, while queueing up outside school with my daughter (age 5), i was chasing her along a wall, pretending to sneak up. She thought it was really funny, but i was getting some  :angry:  :huh:  :o  looks from the other parents...

Magda said: 

A few times today I caught myself feeling "strangely good" emotionally. I was in a good mood even though nothing particular happened, I was calm and content :) However, that makes me realize that if simply feeling good seems weird then I'd mostly been in a bad mood / stressed for the last 30 years?!?! WTF??? Hopefully a permanent change in this area is coming soon :)

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

So wonderful to read this!   I feel like I am just nicer and more content in general also.  The Whole30 rules really simplify everything not to mention the pride of working on whatever has you down instead of just thinking about it.   :wub:     

Today is day 5 for me.  The biggest noticeable change for me is how long I stay full.  Like really full.  I don't want anything.  I'm finding today that here, where I would regularly snack, I am bored.  My tummy is full, but my brain is telling me it is time to eat.  Very very weird.

Brenda

I think a lot of people experience this (me for sure). When I think about eating something, I need to think again - ask myself whether I'm really hungry or just bored, tired etc. or is it just my old habit, because I always used to have a snack at 3 PM so it's snack time. Now I also stay full (I just wrote "stay fool" :D) much much longer. I only need a small snack post workout apart from my 3 main meals.

Today I finally got over the bloated (constipation) problem, so I feel much better. And I did notice that my elbow did not hurt like heck this morning. Oh, it's still sore, but not the OUCH it usually is first thing in the AM. I do think my belly is a bit less flabby :rolleyes:

Tonight would usually be me getting my wine on. I'll have to just find something else to celebrate the weekend with.

Day 5 :) Bring it on :) I could use some boundless energy cause my house is in a bad need of cleaning ;) I'm feeling OK, just had a breakfast of 3 small organic eggs and a slice of bacon (how have I lived so long without eating bacon???) and a HUGE tomato chopped with some fresh green onions.

So... I had to step on the scale today. Not to check my weight. I need to monitor the weight of my cat who has been losing a bit too much lately and the only way to weigh a cat without a trip to the vet is to weigh yourself and then yourself holding the cat. So the good news is that the cat has not lost weight this past week :) As to me, I lost A BIT, but as I said, I'm not here to lose weight, so it's all good. I'll have to be a bad girl and weigh myself again next week ;)

BTW, I was out of coconut milk, so I added a teaspoon of cocoa to my black coffee today. Let me tell you that it changed my life :)

Day 5 :) Bring it on :) I could use some boundless energy cause my house is in a bad need of cleaning ;) I'm feeling OK, just had a breakfast of 3 small organic eggs and a slice of bacon (how have I lived so long without eating bacon???) and a HUGE tomato chopped with some fresh green onions.

So... I had to step on the scale today. Not to check my weight. I need to monitor the weight of my cat who has been losing a bit too much lately and the only way to weigh a cat without a trip to the vet is to weigh yourself and then yourself holding the cat. So the good news is that the cat has not lost weight this past week :) As to me, I lost A BIT, but as I said, I'm not here to lose weight, so it's all good. I'll have to be a bad girl and weigh myself again next week ;)

BTW, I was out of coconut milk, so I added a teaspoon of cocoa to my black coffee today. Let me tell you that it changed my life :)

I'm sure we can forgive you for getting on the scale, hehe...glad to hear your kitty isn't dropping weight!

I've tried raw cacao in coffee....I couldn't do it!! I've been sticking to coconut oil this week as I bought a different coconut milk to normal and the consistency was weird. Shopping today, and cabs of our normal one, thank goodness!

ooh, I should have tried the cocoa in the coffee, can I use the powder, we have some good Mexican stuff. I am having my Dunkin Donuts Hazelnut coffee black with a bit of creamed coconut in it. It's not that bad. I haven't made breakfast yet. I am going to do a bacon/sweet potato scramble. I'm in AI so I can't have eggs.

Day 7! I'm sitting by the lake, having faced down the wine dragon last night and won. Last night was probably the hardest test so far. It's not that I drink heavily, but I'm a social drinker and summer weekends and wine on the dock...ahhhh. But one of the reasons I am doing the Whole 30 is to look at how food is affecting me, including how alcohol is affecting me. I'm starting to wonder if part of what attracted me to alcohol was the sugar?! Only now, after reading ISWF and eating differently for a week, am I realizing how carb/sugar dependent I was for energy. I thought I was "healthy"--working out 5 days/week, eating lots of greek yogurt (w/fruit), energy bars, brown rice, etc. But I was eating every two hours like clockwork. And after dinner, the Sugar Dragon came out and I ate when I knew I shouldn't and didn't want to.

The biggest thing I notice now, besides sleeping well and feeling positive, is that I don't feel hungry all the time. Like BRENDA and MAGDA were saying above, I feel satisfied. I notice a different feeling than I'm used to...I wouldn't call it "empty" but maybe "not full". Yes, it's this "not full" feeling that I'm liking and getting used to having in the couple or three hours between meals, and when it does finally turn to actual hunger, THEN it's time to eat! Duh.

Yay us!

Day 6 and all going well! Like most of you are reporting, I'm so relieved to not be a slave to that starving need to eat feeling. I always thought i needed to eat 3 meals with 2 snacks in between, no longer! I get hungry when I need to eat, but it's not that cranky hungry anymore. Yay! Biggest challenge is making sure protein is quickly on hand for lunch. Breakfast and dinner are easier.

I have a date with my man tonight, and I would usually be looking forward to a glass of wine, and it still does somehow feel less social to not have a glass of wine, but that's ok! For the big picture, it's worth it.

Bit of an awkward question: is anyone experiencing stale breath? I'm drinking enough water, but am wondering if it is ketosis? Could it be only 6 days in? Though technically I stopped grains 12 days ago, so maybe?

Here was my pot luck breakfast.

I knew we had bacon, the good Maverick Farms uncured. I baked it in the oven.

I had left over bok choy. It's a bit bitter for me raw, so I decided to chop it up and saute it. I also had some left over Alexia sweet potato fries. I nuked them and threw them in with the bok choy.

It was great!!!! very satisfying.

cclark, congrats on slaying the wine dragon! Last night was a big test for me too. I did stay up a little too late and had to have a few olives before I went to bed. But otherwise I did ok.

Thanks! To the stale breath question.... I have been noticing my breath more too. For me it's a combination of eating more garlic and onion and not being able to eat mints and/or sugar free minty gum. I was a HUGE gum chewer but had to ditch the habit. I miss it greatly.

I have actually found my breath better, I think because I've eliminated acid reflux. It could be from eating different foods, or it could be ketosis. I know we can't chew gum, but I have mint growing in my yard and sometimes I chew on a leaf. You can probably buy fresh mint in the store and do the same.

CCLARK thanks fr the reminder, I didn't even think about NOT being able to chew gum! Luckily I haven't! Old habits...

BET great idea, have plenty fresh mint in herb garden. I think you are right: prob due to different food, especially more protein than I'm used to!

Start of day 6 for me. Heading to the zoo with the kids, made sure to pack a compliant snack in case we don't get home in time for lunch. Ate a great breakfast...every one in the house enjoyed. Just eggs and cantaloupe but yummy never the less. Need to work on adding veggies t my morning. I'll get there. Need to prep ahead I am so hungry when I wake up I want to eat as fast as I can. A quick egg scramble and already cut up fruit are fast. I broke the program this morning and stepped on the scale. I think I have lost too much weight too fast, which is why my milk supply for the baby has dropped. My supply started to come back yesterday but is not all the way back. Must add more food to my day.

Archived