Canned wild caught Alaskan salmon

So I bought canned wild caught Alaskan salmon the other day for the first time (ingredients: salmon, salt). There are little bones all throughout this stuff! Is this okay to eat through? They're so tiny, it'd take forever to pick them all out. I wasn't expecting what I got with the canned salmon... Is it pretty typical to pick out the bigger bones and leave the small ones alone?

• Moderators

You can eat all the bones in canned salmon. The canning process cooks the salmon and makes the bones soft. I go out of my way to buy canned salmon with skin and bones because the bones provide a good dose of calcium.

I was making the sweet potato patties for the first time - AHMAHZING!!! and got pretty grossed out by the skin in the canned salmon so I went through the trouble of picking out all the skin and most of the bones.

Heh, it wasn't until I started hanging around these forums that I realized that you could even buy canned salmon without bones/skin or that some people didn't want to eat the bones/skin. That's one thing I actually was raised on (although, if my mother knew that a "sanitized" version existed, she probably would have raised us on that instead).

I always pull out the skin and bones. Since I have little children I thought it would be best. It's not my favorite task, that is for sure. Since we use 2 cans for dinner I just pull up a chair and put some good music on while I do it. ;)

I have to admit, when I first drained and dumped out my first can of salmon the other night, I almost chickened out. But the instructions said to crumble it with my hands to sift out the bones and that's what I did. Once it was crumbled and sifted it didn't look quite so gross. I picked out the weird little bones, though. And then let my cat lick my hands. :) 

I have a question, though-- is red salmon less fishy than pink? I keep eating salmon, trying to like it...but i sort of...don't. 

• 6 months later...

I pretty much just about lost my appetite for salmon cakes working my way through my can of wild caught Pink Salmon.  It was easily one of the more disgusting foods I've ever handled.  I'm hoping the salmon cakes turn out ok.  If not, I'm going to eat the leftover sweet potatoes mixed with coconut milk.  Ugh Ugh Ugh!

It was good to know that if I missed some of the little bones, they won't kill me.

Archived