Hello all,

It's my fifth day of the Whole 30 program.  Up until yesterday, everything was glorious.  I was enjoying preparing the meals, not experiencing cravings, sleeping so well, and seeing results.  However, yesterday was a rough day and I would like to share things that I believe could have prevented some of the challenges of yesterday, day four: 

1) Adequate amount of sleep.  The night before my rough day, I slept about 5 hours.  Due to exhaustion from consecutive, heavy CrossFit WODs and little sleep, I think my body was just searching for energy sources of any kind.

2) Pre-planning meals and making preparation nearly effortless at mealtime.  I have been beginning meal preparation when I was already hungry and ready to eat the meal.  This led to snacking before the meal, or as I was preparing the meal. 

On day four, I didn't eat anything prohibited, but I did have 2-3 servings of fruit and ate more veggies and meat than what I needed to be nourished.  I don't think this necessitates a start-over, but I'm willing to begin again.

Lastly, I am looking for advice of conquering this program while living in a house divided.  I share my residence with others, and the people residing here are not interested in doing the Whole30 program or Paleo-style eating in general.  So, at mealtime and snack times, there is constantly "off-limits" food out and in the kitchen. Cereals, bagels, freshly-baked bread, chips, crackers, and cheesy dips sit out on the counters, daring me to cave.  Thankfully, I have not gone off track, but I don't see my environment best enabling me to succeed. Please offer your suggestions, advice, and counsel on how to handle eating and meal preparation in a tempting environment.  Thank you!

Those challenges on top of being around the "kill all the things" phase of the program are tough. In the long and short overeating on compliant foods is a step forward from eating all the things.

As far as the house divided it will get easier. My husband eats the SAD and then some but I started out by consistently telling myself that it was not my food and now I don't even want it anymore.

Keep up the good work! You can do it!

Woohoo! You made it through the notorious DAY 4 "Kill all the things" phase ... a sign you are well on your way to slaying the sugar dragon and becoming a fat-burning machine! Don't stress too much about how much you ate - the Whole30 is like one big adjustment period. Be kind to yourself :)

Archived