Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vian

Ketchup

I love ketchup, I use it on a lot of things, but obviously it's not whole30, so I went online in search of a paleo/whole30 approved ketchup recipe and found one that looked decent. After I made it, I tasted it and realized it was incredibly bland and watery tasting (no salt and very little vinegar). So I modified it.

1 12oz. can tomato paste

1.5 c. water

1/4 c. pitted dates

6-8 tbs. vinegar (I used white vinegar, but you can use ACV if you really like it)

1.5 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. pepper

1/2 tsp. garlic powder

1/2 tsp. onion powder

1/4 tsp. allspice

Combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor until the dates are finely blended, then pour into a saucepan with a lid and simmer for 5-10 minutes (it splatters a lot, make sure it has a lid!)

I tried a different recipe for ketchup recently and wasn't very pleased. Will be trying this as soon as the other runs out (or I accidentally pour the whole jar into some recipe, ha). Thanks!

omg!  you have to try Balanced Bites ketchup recipe that she just posted!  it's super easy (crock pot and blender, hello!) and tastes amazing, like the fancy jarred ketchup. 

I'm using the recipe for Kickass Ketchup as a base -

But I don't like the spices, so instead I use cumin, chili powder, paprika, turmeric, and salt (about 1/4 tsp of each).  I like the color, consistency, and flavor that way.