I can't find the meal/eating suggestions for athletes

Celina

Hi everyone,  Sorry for posting with what feels like a stupid question but I've spent an hour on the website and can't find the specific instructions for eating if you are an athlete doing Whole30. My husband and I are at the end of day 3 and doing well but I'm noticing cramping after my WODs (CrossFit) and I"m pretty sure we aren't eating enough/at the right times.

Thanks!

Celina

The only differences that i'm aware of are the inclusion of a pre/post workout - recommended pre workout is fat/protein, post workout is carb/protein.

cramping may be dehydration, low salt, low magnesium (I think) - do you add salt to food? you may wish to add a bit (we use celtic or Himalayan), and make sure you're drinking enough through your workout. perhaps consider adding some coconut water post workout? it's a great natural way to improve hydration and replacing electrolytes

Thanks! I have been doing carb pre-workout. . in a rush usually, and just a banana. No good. This is helpful. I've been thinking of adding coconut water but most of the ones I have found list "natural flavors" as an ingredient which sounds non-whole 30 compliant. Is the "One" brand compliant? I also think that I might not be getting enough sodium and maybe calcium (I had a LOT of nonfat milk up until I started whole 30, probably 16-20 oz/day). Maybe a cal-mag supplement?

Thanks for the  suggestions!

the banana would be better post workout, but the recommendation is starchy veg - I made up a baked slice with chicken breast mince, eggwhites, and grated pumpkin/sweet potato with lots of herbs and spices.

on day one we had harboiled egg dipped in mayo (one for me, 2 for my husband) pre workout, today we've got coconut crumbed chicken breast strips dipped in mayo :)

i'm not sure about coconut water- i'm in Australia, and we get one that is 100% coconut water, and lower natural sugar than most (no idea how..magic coconuts maybe?)

we don't take supplements, but try to eat lots of dark green leafy veggies for calcium, and I think tinned fish with bones is good for calcium too.  

The bottom of the template is the athlete section: http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf

There is also info here somewhere about calcium and about supplements.  Basically, you can get calcium from this food and I think your body absorbs it better.

Adding salt to meals is a good idea.  Electrolyte replacement might be necessary, but maybe not.  I know one forum member dilutes coconut water after long runs.  As long as you are eating balanced meals, you may not need it.  You can find compliant coconut water in the states.

Also, I have read that it is OK to back off on work-outs in the first week or so as your body makes this transition.

Sorry, trying to be helpful, but not offering much detail.  Maybe a mod will chime in.  :-)

• Moderators

The Whole9 meal template is what you have been looking for - as Nico noted: http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf

Follow the template carefully for all meals, drink 1/2 to 1 ounce of water per pound of body weight per day, use salt liberally in your cooking, take it easy with your workouts as you adjust in the first few weeks, and you will be fine.

Calcium supplements are not a good idea: http://chriskresser.com/calcium-supplements-why-you-should-think-twice

Magnesium supplements are a good choice. I take Natural Calm every night just before bed as it has a sedative effect that helps me get to sleep faster.

Archived