One Whole 30 down

ctriefus

I completed my first whole30 a couple of days ago - and I've not introduced anything back as I'm just going to keep going.  I've had 53 years of feeling terrible and if all it takes to feel great is to avoid a few foods that's what I'm going to do.  I've been reading about the whole30 for so long and faffing about complaining it was all just too hard, and how the hell does anyone give up dairy AND grains AND alcohol AND legumes anyway and why can't I just be like anyone else and just be able to eat normally FFS!  Anyhow,  I finally started and of course, after the first week of headaches and crankiness, it has been AMAZING!!

Here is my list of awesomeness:

1)  12lbs gone - 12lbs!!!  For me that is absolutely astonishing.  I am 53, post menopausal, 60lbs overweight, on levothyroxin thyroid medication, have asthma and allergies and was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis 10 years ago.  I have not been able to lose any more than 6lbs in a month on any diet.

2)   My UC symptoms have disappeared.  No pain, no gut distress, no hour long bathroom visits, 10 or over trips to the loo a day down to 1.  Absolutely incredible.  

3) The red blotches that appear all over my face and down my back after a bath or shower when the colitis is active have gone.

4) I have energy - lots of it.  No longer do I need a nap every day (when I could get one) or not want to move off the sofa after eating.

5) Related to the above but deserves its own point - I actually feel like moving!  I haven't felt like that for so long I can't remember when it was.  Everything has been an effort and exhausted me - for years.  This is so wonderful - I have my life back. 

6) My nails that never grew and were always soft and flaky are growing strong at a rate of knots.  I actually had to cut them.  That sounds ridiculous but I have never needed to cut my nails in my life.  

7) My permanent post nasal drip and associated throat clearing has completely gone.

The only way to describe how I feel is like I've been sleep walking for years and I've woken up.  I never thought I could live without grains/alcohol/dairy and the funny thing is, the only thing I've missed is soy sauce - and that only because I can't get coconut aminos.  I'm now just a tad embarrassed that all that figurative wailing and gnashing of teeth stopped me from doing this months ago.

So - onwards and forwards.  I will probably do a W90 and then relax the oil thing a bit for when I'm on holiday and won't have control of the cooking. But I won't eat grains or dairy - honestly, this is now my way of life and that is fine by me.

ps.  I didn't take before pictures but I took some at the end of the first W30 and will post comparisons at the end of my W90   :D

... the only thing I've missed is soy sauce - and that only because I can't get coconut aminos.  I'm now just a tad embarrassed that all that figurative wailing and gnashing of teeth stopped me from doing this months ago.

Ctriefus, I will HAPPILY mail you some coconut aminos if you message me your address. Your update was also posted on Facebook and at least 2 others also offered to send you coconut aminos. We are your comrades in Whole30, so know we are here to support you and make the future easier for you! :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Congratulations on curing yourself from UC.  Maybe as you continue with Whole 30 you will find that your asthma symptoms disappear.  I wonder if your thyroid condition might improve too?  Also, I am wondering about the nasal drip disappearing. Do you have any idea what you were sensitive to before whole 30 that was causing it?  I ask because I have something similar and think that whatever was causing it was in bread ... probably grains.

Hi Jimmy,

I think it was probably the dairy that was causing the nasal drip - I ate dairy in almost every meal and in tea several times a day.  Although I have been grain free before I've never stopped the dairy which is another reason I think it is the cause (since I've never managed to get rid of it before!)  As for the UC, I don't think I'm cured but I've certainly put it into remission - long may it last!

ct, great stuff. I am 55 menopausal also with Hashimotos and I have Chrohn's. I actually had finally figured out my Chron's by avoiding FODMAPS, but wanted to go a bit further, so I am doing W30 with the AI protocol. I know I've lost weight, not sure how much. I can go hours between meals without needing to snack. I did not get rid of my post nasal drip, in fact I had a bad head cold, but that's ok, I believe mine is more environmentally induced anyway.

I am taking a break after my W30 ends on Tuesday. We go on vacation and when I return, I will likely do another W30 or more.

Great job and good luck!

Archived