Physibeth's Post-W30 Log

Physibeth

I was trying to think of something clever for my title but I couldn't come up with anything so there it is plain and simple.

My Whole30 was a great success and now it is on to living a balanced Paleo lifestyle.

My reintroduction plan involves the following:

July 10th-11th - Mostly Paleo (brother is visiting so I'm going to do my best but not overly stress at restaurants and I will have garlic fries at the baseball game tomorrow)

July 12th-14th - Whole30

July 15th - Dairy Intro (raw cheese/butter)

July 16th-17th - Whole30

July 18th - Corn Intro (homemade tortillas)

July 19th-20th - Whole30

July 21st - Rice (white rice)

July 22nd - 24th - Whole30

July 25th - Mostly Paleo (will eat dinner at a baseball game again)

July 26th-27th - Whole30

July 28th - Gluten (pasta/bread)

July 29th-30th - Whole30

From there I will make my new rules based on reintro. I suspect dairy in the form of raw cheese and butter will be the only thing I have much more frequently and I'm planning to loosen up the paleo-fying rule and will probably have raw honey from time to time.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meal 1: (7:30) 2 sweet potato pancakes (Practical Paleo), 3 eggs fried in bacon fat, 2 strips bacon, black coffee, raw sauerkraut

Oh how I missed my sweet potato pancakes! They are so lovely! Brother and I are off to Mt Rainier this afternoon to do some hiking. Going to wait a little bit and see if my produce order shows up at a reasonable time so it isn't cooking on my porch all day. Fingers crossed. But we don't want to wait too long as it is a 3 hour drive down there. 

It was a beautiful day on Rainier! Totally worth the 6 hours in the car round trip (though my lower back is whining this morning).

We stopped for lunch at this fun local diner that we found on a detour off of hwy 7. We had been looking for someplace to eat for a while and it was 2pm by the time we found this place. So hungry! They had elk, bison, and wild boar on their burger menu! I wish I had been adventurous and ordered the elk burger because my brother did and his looked better than mine. But I got a bison burger with a slice of cheddar cheese (no bun) and sweet potato fries. I didn't finish my fries.

First stop on the mountain at Christie Falls (I believe) and I was fiddling with my camera and accidentally formatted my SD card so I lost a whole lot of pictures.  :( Lesson learned that I need to take the time to download my photos every time I use my camera. 

Got up to Paradise and did all the hiking we could do without trudging through long deep patches of snow. We still walked through quite a bit of it. Luckily no slips. Will post some photos when I get them edited and uploaded to flickr. Had a snack of a coconut cream larabar and a handful of cashews around 6pm. Didn't get home until 9:30. The boys ordered pizza and wings and I had 4 hot dogs with mayo and mustard, baby carrots, 3 bubbies pickles, and a banana. 

Slept hard last night. Yay! Almost 7 hours without waking and then went back to sleep to round it out to an even 8. Felt glorious after all these bad short nights I've been having lately.

Today we are off to the Mariners/Red Sox game at 12:40 and then exploring in Seattle. Should be another nice day once the clouds burn off. 

Good morning folks! Dropped my brother off at the airport this morning so back to my regularly scheduled programming.  :)

Yesterday was fun and we actually ended up walking more than we did the previous day.

Meal 1 was 4 eggs scrambled into sauteed kale with black coffee and raw sauerkraut. My brother ate this too (minus the kraut) which kind of surprised me. I only had 2 slices of bacon left so I let him have them.

Carpooled with my husband so we could park for free at his office and then took the bus into the city and walked to the stadium. Never have I gotten to a game that early before. Was kind of nice to walk around and get garlic fries before the line was super long. Bought myself a cute pink Mariners shirt and hat too.  ;) Couldn't finish the garlic fries though I ate most of them. Later in the game got a couple of Mariners dogs. The guy was so confused when I said I didn't want the bread. "You know I'm still going to charge you the same for them right" I just smiled and said yes I know but why should I throw away the bread? I got great seats and the game was pretty exciting though the Red Sox prevailed in the end (brother was happy). Got a nice sun burn just on the tops of my knees as my shorts come down to just above the knees. 

Was feeling really bloated after the fries and dogs. Not sure which was the main contributor. Didn't help that I didn't drink enough water for having sat in the sun for the better part of 5 hours. 

We walked from the stadium to Pioneer Square and went on the Underground Tour. I had been 2x before and it was just as cheesy as I remembered but my brother hadn't been and he thought it was fun. 

After the tour we walked down to the waterfront and had dinner at the Crab Pot. Had crab stuffed salmon which was really really good! It had a crab bisque sauce on it and a little bit of breadcrumbs. I asked for double veggies instead of a potato or rice side. The veggies were snow peas, broccoli, and rainbow carrots...quite nice! 

Walked up many stairs from the waterfront to get to the bus station. Husband wasn't ready to leave yet when we got there so sat at Rock Bottom where my brother had a delicious smelling dessert and I had a small salad minus dressing, croutons, and tomatoes. 

Slept hard last night again. 8 hours only waking at 1 am and 7 am. 

Started the morning off with sweet potato pancakes, 3 fried eggs, bacon, and black coffee. At work now. Still no AC but it is a cooler day so not too bad thus far. Kind of threw my lunch together as we got home so late last night. Hoping I can go home at a reasonable hour because I neglected to prepare my dinner last night as planned. 

Wow!  Salad instead of dessert.  Awesome job!  I started off the morning with avocado waffles, waffle ironed eggs, bacon and cm coffee.  I don't recommend the avocado waffles. Luckily, this was the last of them.  I may have to try sweet potato pancakes, though. Which recipe do you use?

The desserts all smelled good but my tummy was already not happy from the baseball food so I decided at this time wasn't worth it. 

I use the one from practical paleo. I do believe it is on her website as well. I love them so much.  :)

Avocado waffles do not sound appealing at all to me. 

3 days of template eating for me and then a proper dairy introduction on Monday.

I did forget to mention I had a square of Theo's coconut dark chocolate on Wednesday afternoon and before bed last night.

Glad you are enjoying my posts Nadia! I've been enjoying yours too!

I had an ok meal 2. I decided I don't really like the olive tapenade so I didn't eat it...which might have been a mistake. Had 2 lamb chops, a lot of baby carrots, and rainier cherries. This was around 12:30. Just polished off a bottle of booch. 

I'm feeling sleepy and debating the merits of walking to starbucks for an americano. I think the walk would do me good but I'm not sure drinking coffee this late is a great idea. I've been enjoying my sleep the last 2 nights. 

Luckily it is staying fairly cool in my office as the sun seems to still be hiding behind the clouds. 

Good morning! The rest of yesterday was less than stellar, but it was horrible either. I definitely didn't eat enough at lunch and ended up eating a handful of cashews and a larabar before I left work. Got home and washed an entire head of red leaf lettuce and ate it wrapped around cold cuts (that I bought for our trip to Rainier but we ended up not leaving early enough for a picnic lunch) and mayo. I did dip into one of those bags of chips (potatoes, oil, sea salt) but only ate a serving or two and put them away. Considered a square of chocolate and decided against it. Finally got to watch this week's episode of So You Think You Can Dance and then played Skylanders for way to long and went to bed. I was fighting falling asleep on my book but eventually gave in. Got about 7 hours of sleep mostly without waking. Not a lot of deep sleep last night for whatever reason.

Supposed to go to a huge bbq today but I really don't love big events like that. I like smaller gatherings. I have a lot of stuff I need to get done around the house today too. So I'm going to skip it.

I do need to go into Seattle at some point today and pick up my race packet for tomorrow's 5k. One of the major bridges and a section of another major freeway between the 2 bridges is closed this weekend so should be lots of fun.  :rolleyes:

Other things on deck:

* Need to go through all my Creative Memories stock and figure out what I'm keeping, what I want to try and sell, and what I need to order.

* Try and get my cooking for the week done. Yesterday could have gone better if I had prepped that food on Monday before my brother came instead of scrounging in the morning.

* Clean the house!

* Work on the weeding for about an hour or so.

* If I have time I'd like to do some work on my San Francisco album as well.

Feeling grumpy after driving all the way into Seattle, searching for and paying for parking, and then only needing to spend about 5 minutes picking up my race number/shirt. Grrrr. Lame expo. Should have just gone early and registered in the morning. The lady didn't check my id either. Nor did she explain anything about the timing chip or the mysterious arm band that is in my bag. Everything else in the bag was a food like substance or a coupon for a food like substance. Not cool man. Not cool. Oh and the race shirt for an all women's event is bright green. I can get a bright green shirt at any event. I expect girly colors at women's events.  :angry:  :P  :rolleyes:

We'll see. Going to wear girly colors for the race. Maybe I'll wear the shirt to pump on Tuesday. I got a neon yellow one for the half marathon I did in April and a red one for the Rock n Roll. At least they are not all the same.

Roasted some shrimp as per your (Susan) instructions for dinner. I think I used too much oil. I was hoping they would get crispy. Still better than steamed but not my favorite food still. I'm not entirely certain shrimp with pesto and zoodles was a good race night meal. We shall see. Breakfast was eggs, bacon, coffee, and sweet potato pancakes. Lunch was grass fed hamburger patties with mayo and potato chips. Not my best food day ever. But hey I threw away the luna bar, fortune cookie, and "healthy energy drink" shots (2nd ingredient was sugar) that came in my swag bag.

My productive day got kinda smooshed by my bad expo experience. Played Skylanders instead of cleaning. Got some of the kitchen done though. Just made a playlist for my race pace tomorrow and programmed the GPS watch. Need to go remake the bed and hit the hay. Want to be up by 5 am I think. Ugh!

The one t-shirt I got in a race pack was black :/  Lame!  

Even your non-productive days sound so productive compared to mine!  Care to bottle some of that productiveness and send it here?  I can reciprocate with SCOBY, booch or reddit reading :P

Good Luck with your race today.

I've gotten two race t-shirts from the Cardiff Halfs I've run, both white and the same logo on both of them.  One is a cotton XL (the only size they had left if you finished after 90 mins) and the other a technical S (luckily men's size, so that one fits).  Hoping for a better shirt from my marathon next month :)

In the goody bag at the last race there was a tube of glucose tabs and a non-alcoholic beer.  And a bunch of fliers.

We'll see. Going to wear girly colors for the race. Maybe I'll wear the shirt to pump on Tuesday. I got a neon yellow one for the half marathon I did in April and a red one for the Rock n Roll. At least they are not all the same.

Roasted some shrimp as per your (Susan) instructions for dinner. I think I used too much oil. I was hoping they would get crispy. Still better than steamed but not my favorite food still. I'm not entirely certain shrimp with pesto and zoodles was a good race night meal. We shall see. Breakfast was eggs, bacon, coffee, and sweet potato pancakes. Lunch was grass fed hamburger patties with mayo and potato chips. Not my best food day ever. But hey I threw away the luna bar, fortune cookie, and "healthy energy drink" shots (2nd ingredient was sugar) that came in my swag bag.

My productive day got kinda smooshed by my bad expo experience. Played Skylanders instead of cleaning. Got some of the kitchen done though. Just made a playlist for my race pace tomorrow and programmed the GPS watch. Need to go remake the bed and hit the hay. Want to be up by 5 am I think. Ugh!

Roasted shrimp will never be crispy. Sweet..yes. Nice seeing you again too. Blergh.

Sophie: I don't think I'd mind a black race shirt all that much. Goes with everything.  ;)

Annabel: We almost always get our shirts before races here and we tell them what size when we register. Is that not how it is done across the pond? I hate cotton race shirts. So pointless. 

Susan: So if I want to try a crispy shrimp are my only options frying or grilling?

Did not sleep well last night. That is somewhat normal before a race. Husband woke me when he got home and started talking to me in his daytime voice. Must teach him nighttime voice.  :P Was almost asleep again when he goes "Oh wow...the guy that plays Finn died" and I was like "what?" and when I grasped what he was saying I was really bothered. So sad when someone so young and talented passes away from something as preventable as drugs.  :( Finally stopped trying to force myself back to sleep and read for a while which worked. Got just under 5 hours of sleep. Need to start hustling here. Want to leave by 6 and not sure that is really early enough for parking but it seemed reasonable when I set my alarm. We shall see. Drinking coffee and eating bacon and eggs. Yum.

Beth- I've only ever run the same half marathon and you didn't specify shirt size, you just collected a shirt when you finished the race.  They post you your number and race info a week or two before the race, so there's no registering before hand.

The race I'm doing in August you had to pay extra for a shirt, so you did get to choose a size.  But again, there's no packet pick up before the race.  I did look at some races where you have to turn up the day before to collect things, but I have no idea how common they are as I've been running for less than three years.

See Jane Run 5K 3.1 mi 00:30:12 09:44 pace

That was my official time. Went on over to the booth to check it out. My lap button decided to be difficult so my watch didn't actually get stopped when I crossed the finish line. And for some reason I don't have heart rate data recorded either.

Watch say 3.14 miles @ 9:47 
Splits were .96 mi @ 9:43, 1.08 mi @ 9:45 (had trouble with the lap button here too), 1.1 mi @ 9:51 that includes the post finish line walk while I forgot to stop my watch.

Overall I feel really good about this as I went out with a goal of 10:00 pace. Based on what I saw on my HRM I would say my average was in the 160s and I finished in the mid 170s. Given I finished the RnR in the 180s I probably should have started my final kick sooner. Felt like I ran a hard but sustainable pace throughout. Beautiful day for it too! Sunny and was just reaching the mid 160s by the time I finished.

Nice job. Gorgeous morning for a run.

On my way to Friday Harbor to stay with a friend who lives there. Waving.

Yes, no way to crisp shrimp without frying them. I like roasted because in the 4 minutes they are in the oven, they get a little browned on the edges.

Archived