Physibeth's Post-W30 Log

Physibeth

I can't believe you drove 60 minutes to the Y!  I had a hard time driving 10.  Yikes!  You are going to save so much time by this move.

I'm going to try that squash recipe this weekend.  Hope it works out.  I have an oval crockpot, so at least it will fit.  Just hope it tastes ok.  What do you think was the problem?  Not enough spice or ?

Well not to the Y, to Gold's Gym. And my office is 5 minutes from the gym so I had to drive in eventually anyway. That 8:30 class conflicted with a lot of school traffic though. Yes so much time and money to be saved! I do have an oval crockpot but it is only 4 qts. My 6 qt is round. I didn't include the garlic so I will try that next time. I think I'm with Mary and cooked it longer than my particular liking. It spaghettied up just fine but was not as al dente as I like. Will cook it less time next time. Considering experimenting with the same method and using chicken broth on the 2nd half to make a chicken not noodle soup. We'll see. How long do you suppose the other half will be ok in the fridge covered in plastic wrap?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yesterday turned out to be a very productive day! Got lots of kitchen projects done (and went to bed with a clean kitchen), did a load of laundry, cleaned the cat boxes and took out the trash, unpacked 6 boxes, and made some good progress on my actual work. Yay! Got about 7 hours of sleep again last night. Still waking up a lot though with lots of stress dreams. Hoping once all the moving stuff is finally done I will sleep through the night again. Skinny cat woke me up about 15 minutes before my alarm with a present on the carpet.  :rolleyes: Finishing up my lunch for today (recipe is a long process - 4 hours in the oven - so just got it started last night), going for a 3 mile run, and doing some chores before work today. I do think I'll actually go into the office today. Going to throw a pork chop recipe in the slow cooker so that dinner is pretty much ready when I get home.

Had to share one more story. After class yesterday someone came up to tell me how good I was looking (which I love) and another lady came up and asked what I did and said "just the exercise?" with a hopeful tone to her voice. I replied exercise and a major diet overhaul and the lady like literally deflated and audibly sighed. The original lady asked me for specifics so I gave her the brief synopsis of Paleo and the 2nd lady was very familiar with it. She asked if I got sick of eating all that protein and I said certainly not and that I actually eat many more vegetables now. I find it interesting that people are willing to kill themselves in the gym (not that this 2nd lady does from what I've observed) but not willing to make any concessions in their diet. I'm so glad I saw the light!

Food/Movement Yesterday:

M1: 4 fried eggs, 1/2 acorn squash with coconut butter and raisins, black coffee

Exercise: Body Pump 75 (my HR was high today - burned 400 calories according to the HRM)

M2: 2 lamb sausages  :wub: , Roasted Delicata Squash (Paleo Lunches and Breakfasts on the Go), Green Leaf Lettuce Salad with Ranch Dressing  (Well Fed), Banana

M3: Peasant Style Brussel Sprout & Egg Drop Soup (Ladled) served without the suggested bread and parm cheese, Paleo Coconut Chili Lime Shrimp

I think we have such an emotional attachment to food and food traditions that it's much harder to get our brains wrapped around the idea of changing what we eat.  It's easer to try to log some time at the gym.  Mentally, that is.  Time-wise, it's easier to change what we eat than to kill ourselves at the gym, but for some reason, we can't get ourselves to accept that.  I know I'm a lot happier calmly eating this way than I was obsessively counting calories consumed vs burned.  It's still hard to always resist temptation (hence why I needed a W7 and soon W30 to get back into the calm eating groove), but overall, it's less stressful.

That soup sounds delicious!  Love brussels sprouts. 

I wouldn't keep the 1/2 squash more than a few days...  You can probably get away with waiting until the weekend.

All that is true Jen, well except that truly eating healthy vs eating "healthy" takes a bit more time as well. I spend a lot more time in my kitchen now than I used to. :) 

I highly recommend the soup cookbook. It isn't Paleo but some of the recipes are and I'm looking into tweaking the others or just having them from time to time. What would a paleo sub for things like lentils be do you think?

Maybe I'll cook the rest of the squash on Friday or Saturday night.

Run was good. Getting cold. I think its time to go back to the capri running skirts and possibly long sleeve shirts. Need to look into getting something warm I can wear under my short sleeves and regular skirts to expand my fall/winter running wardrobe. Or buy more skirts and long sleeve tops.  :ph34r:

I have been reading your updates and I exclaimed the same as Jena - 60 min commute?!?! Being close to everything makes life so good, hooray for that! 

I bet if you said that you are calculating every ounce of food and eat 1200 calories a day these girls would nod and say that it's certainly the way. Sad that people would take being hungry and miserable over pack of ____ (insert any junk) as an acceptable way to live. Been there and I can hardly believe that this is what I used to do. We do have emotional attachment to food, that's absolutely right. It's rooted in us historically and that's fine. However we are so detached from the real traditions in our everyday life (holidays and family gatherings are as close as we get to mindful consumption of real food). Buying locally grown food/being mindful of the source of food is considered to be "fancy" while in reality that's pretty "normal" and "traditional". It's a mind shift that has to happen once and I hope that the work done by the paleo community will contribute to this. Meanwhile we will just smile and eat bacon. Or lamb. Btw, welcome to the lamb-lovers club :D 

Oh I have been a card carrying member of the lamb-lovers club for quite some time now. Just always thought it was indulgent and most stores don't sell it. I eat it at least 3 days a week. Mmmm lamb!

And yes to everything you said. I can't believe how much time and energy I wasted counted calories. I'm much happier spending that time in the kitchen.

I can't eat lamb.  Just can't.  I've come around to eating other meat, though, so who knows what will happen.

Agree that cooking real food takes more time than eating junk, but cooking is relaxing and fun.  Counting calories and killing yourself at the gym is stressful and definitely not fun!  Well, the gym part might be fun for some. :)

I agree, it's so much harder to change your eating than to add exercise.  Before W30, I couldn't understand how I had the discipline to get up and run crazy distances when the couch was calling, but not stay away from the food I *knew* I didn't need.  Yeah, people get a little too protective of their bread and pasta...

Jen, I hope you can find a love for lamb at some point...I think it is the bomb! ;) I wish I found cooking to be relaxing and fun but I really don't. I'm not a fantastic cook and my engineer brain gets in the way sometimes. I enjoy it more than I used to so perhaps one day it will be relaxing and fun.

Pretty good day yesterday. Got into work a bit late because my lunch took so long but it was well worth it. Had a nice walk to Starbucks with my newly converted Paleo friend. :) Sun came out for my walk home (though still cold) and enjoyed my crockpot meal. Had a good night at community group. Finally downloaded the music for my Water in Motion training on to my Zune and listened through it once. All super upbeat covers of popular songs. Should make for a good walking to work soundtrack...might even run to it for a while. My friend who teaches says the best things to do is listen to the music a lot. Still need to watch through the choreography. A little online impulse shopping this morning. Ordered a bunch of stuff for tropical traditions (first time) as I'm almost out of coconut oil and they were doing a bogo sale. Got some hair oil and body lotion too as colder temps tend to cause me to have dryer skin. Then I went and ordered a 5 pack of Nikki's Pumpkin Donut Coconut Butter and a 72 pack of pumpkin spice k-cups.  :ph34r: Got stock up on the pumpkin before it is gone. I bought 2 canisters of Trader Joe's pumpkin spice coffee yesterday too. It's not organic or fair trade but it is good and it won't last me very long. 

Food/Movement Yesterday:

M1: 4 eggs, kale, bacon, black coffee

Exercise: 3 mile easy pace run

Snack: banana

Exercise: ~1 mile walk to work

M2: Creamy Indian Beef Curry (Paleo Lunches and Breakfasts on the Go), Green Leaf Lettuce Salad with Ranch Dressing (Well Fed), scoop of coconut butter

Exercise: ~1.5 mile walk to/from Starbucks

Beverages: grande Americano black, kombucha

Exercise: ~1 mile walk home (actually a tad less as one of the office ladies gave me a ride the rest of the way up the hill in the golf cart)

M3: Pear Ginger Pork Chops (Paleo Slow Cooker), Sauteed Turnips (Elana's Pantry)

Snack: Nibble of bacon and nibble of almond butter before bed

Hi Bethany - I have been following your log for a bit.  Just thought I would pop my head up and say hi!

I've always had the opposite problem than most..... knew I had to overhaul my diet, but didn't know the HOW to do it.  I did realize that eating better was key to me feeling better, and the rest would follow.

I still struggle with the excerise though.  I love to excersise in ways that don't feel like excersise, that just feel like playing.  However those types of activities are usually more expensive to do....

Thanks for saying hi Carlaccini! It took me a while to make regular exercise a habit. For me finding something I enjoyed was of first importance and of 2nd importance was putting it on the schedule so it would be a priority. Keep trying things until you find what you love and fits into your lifestyle and then make doing those things a priority! 

You can come do my dishes any time you like! I've come a long way. When I graduated from college my mother told me I was domestically challenged. It's all a learning process. :)

Get the coffee while you can! Last year I made a comment about it on my facebook page and my dad requested having some when they came for Thanksgiving but by then TJs was out and so was I. I might go back and get another canister to take home to the rents at Thanksgiving in fact as their closest TJs is not close at all.

At my bridal shower, one of my aunts asked me if I cook.  I said, "I heat up." LOL  It has truely been a learning process for me, too.  When we first got married, my husband did most of the dinner cooking.  I would have just eaten oatmeal for dinner every night like in college.  He liked meat and potato meals, so he did the cooking.  I got REALLY tired of a hunk of meat, canned corn (yuck!) and powdered potatoes (my Irish ancestors were turning in their graves!).  So, I had to learn to cook for self preservation.  I started with typical SAD dinners of canned pasta sauce and fish sticks and chicken strips.  After kids, I started trying to be healthier and started reading about and learning about food and our food system and all the nasties in processed foods.  When my son was diagnosed with food allergies, I had to go even further in that process of cutting out processed foods and reading labls and noticing those nasties we'd rather just ignore.  I started reading cookbooks and food magazines for fun.  We can be a little more lax now, but when we did the elimination diet for him, we could not rely on any easy meal options so I had to learn to also plan and prep and always be prepared to cook healthy meals at home.  It's basically been a 15 year process from "I heat up" to "cooking, chopping and dishes is relaxing and fun."  I'm guessing you'll get there, too, because you're already on your way!

Oh I'm definitely getting there. I can do it pretty well now but I don't always enjoy it. I'm going to start looking at the classes my food co-op offers and sign up for basic cooking/prep courses when they offer them.

I have to say the only thing that stinks about this walking to work gig is I get all sweaty and its cold so now I'm sitting in my office and I'm freezing and my back is damp. *sigh* I know that sweating is good because it gets toxins out of the body and stuff but sometimes I wish I wasn't so good at it.

I suppose I could do that Julie though it ruins the simplicity of it and doesn't address the problem entirely (I won't go into it further...tmi). I'm hoping that as I do it more my body will adjust to the activity. Perhaps as it gets colder adding an under layer that I can take off when I get to work would help. Things to consider. There must be blogs addressing this topic, there just must!

Had a pretty good day yesterday! Productive day at work. Beautiful sun though cold. Watched through my Water in Motion training video at lunch and part of it during dinner. The instructor we are going to have for training is super funny. There is a lot of jumping and balancing on one foot to learn. Yikes! Will have to practice the jumping at the gym as I don't think my neighbors downstairs would appreciate it. Listened to the music on repeat all day yesterday...kind of gave me a headache after a while. Had a fantastic Body Pump class last night. I love continually feeling stronger. Managed to hold a proper hover (plank on your forearms) on my toes for a good long time. Managed to actually get a tiny bit of air on the jumping lunges. Rawr!

Came home took a shower and watched New Girl and Glee even though I should have just gone to bed probably. Was dropping my Kindle on myself struggling to finish the last sentence of a chapter and then couldn't actually seem to fall asleep when I turned the light out. Took me like a half hour and I was kind of mean to my husband in the process. Bad wife. Managed to get about 7 hours of sleep and didn't wake as much as I usually do.

Found my first ever double yolk while making my eggs this morning. That was kind of exciting!

Meals/Movement Yesterday:

M1: 4 fried eggs, 1/2 acorn squash with coconut butter, black coffee. 

Exercise: ~ 1 mile walk to work

M2: 2 lamb sausages, roasted delicata squash (Paleo Lunches and Breakfasts on the Go), green leaf lettuce salad with ranch dressing (Well Fed)

Snacks & Beverages: couple scoops of coconut butter, 2 cups of chai tea, kombucha

Exercise: ~ 1 mile walk home

M3: Coconut Lime Fried Shrimp (Stupid Easy Paleo), Peasant Style Brussels Sprout and Egg Drop Soup (minus bread and cheese Ladled), square of Theo's dark chocolate with mint

Exercise: Body Pump 80

Snack: Raw grass fed cheddar, apple

I very rarely perspire - get all red in the face -Have to use a lot of cold rags or sprays of water to cool down.... I think I'd rather perspire!  Bethany you sound on top of things.  I'm trying to figure out what foods are or will affect me - I wish I could find a Dr. around here who thinks as I do concerning health matters - or at least eats Paleo - I'm so done with all things in moderation - breads, etc.  I think nuts are not good for me - and I had concerns regarding dairy - I'll just have to wait until this 2nd 30 is over I guess.  At least I didn't go hunting for sweets today -- :unsure:

I am just enjoying the fact that I am feeling good right now, less moody, less crabby, and I don't want that to go away.  Hope all is well.

OMG, LOL.  I couldn't see the bottom of your message, but I'm reading about hovers and jump lunges, thinking, hmm...that sounds like BodyPump 80!  :)  My members would have no idea, though, I don't tell them the number.  I keep meaning to but never do.  Great job - how exciting to see your progress.

Terry - I wish I could give you a little of my sweat making ability and keep a little for myself so we both had a good balance. :) I've not been to a doctor in a couple of years. I need to look into finding one I like once we get settled in here. Definitely want to find a doctor that is Paleo friendly. I want to say there is a directory of Paleo friendly doctors but I don't remember the link. Tom D has posted it before though...I'll try and get that. My best advice on figuring out what is and is not worth it is careful and honest reintroductions. Enjoy your 2nd Whole30 and don't worry about the no list for now. 

Julie - LOL! Most of our instructors tell us the numbers and I'm friends with a lot of them so I ask if they don't. ;) We launch tomorrow. I got a sneak peek of the tricep track from my friend. Light Em Up! I think I'm going to be super sore especially after house cleaning all day today.

Yesterday kind of got away from me. By the time I got done with my run and ready to leave for the house it was almost 11 am. I was driving up and realized I probably should have brought lunch with me. By the time I finished up there and stopped at the farm for my CSA pick up and got home it was almost 3 and I was so hungry! The great thing is I wasn't losing it mentally like I would have pre-paleo, just very hungry. Then I got too caught up in playing a game and totally lost track of time. Settled in to get some real work done and my mom called. Finally got dinner in me and out the door a bit late for a Pampered Chef party. Had to stop at our storage unit and unload some stuff on the way. The party was fun and I brought along my Kombucha and just enjoyed everyone's company. Nobody food pushed on me which was lovely. Got lots of compliments on how "skinny" I was looking. Lovely! Stayed there way to late and had to get gas on a dark country road on the way home. Only about 6 hours of sleep and I was going to make Thanksgiving Stuffing Meatballs for my friend and I for lunch today but now don't have time. Oh well...will just bring leftovers and hope that is ok. Goal for today is to get the house completely done. I'll be up there for about 12 hours today when all is said and done. Going to be a long day but hopefully the payoff is not having to drive up there again.

Food/Movement Yesterday:

Exercise: 3 mile easy run

Snack: Peach

M2: Creamy Indian Beef Curry (Paleo Lunches and Breakfasts on the Go), Honeycrisp Apple (got like 4 of these in my fruit share this week...mmmmm)

M3: Thai Coconut Curry Spaghetti Squash, Chicken

Snacks: Kombucha at the party, couple nibbles of bacon, a nibble of almond butter, and a banana before bed.

The house is clean and the carpets are clean and my sinus are so angry from all the dust and my muscles are sore from all the scrubbing and vacuuming but the house is pretty much done! Husband needs to do one more trip up to clean out the garage. Happy dance of joy!

Going to go to pump regardless of how sore I am. Ha! 

Watched through my training video twice while waiting for the carpet people to come/waiting for the carpet to be finished. I need to do it through with them to really get the moves memorized but I was too tired to do that last night.

Came home and collapsed on the couch and watched a couple shows off the tivo, showered, and crashed into bed.

Food/Movement Yesterday:

Exercise: Clean all the things! My friend and I got the entire upstairs done before lunch. Gratefully she loves cleaning bathrooms so I didn't have to do those.

M2: Pear Ginger Pork Chops (Paleo Slow Cooker), Peasant Style Brussels Sprout and Egg Drop Soup (Ladled), Kombucha

Exercise: Clean all the things! Got the entire downstairs done by 4:30 pm. So grateful for my helper! The worst job I did was cleaning out the fridge. Ewww! 

M3: Royal Red Robin Burger with no tomato, lettuce wrapped, added avocado, Sweet Potato Fries 

Snack: Had a big serving of purple grapes when I got home...only thing that sounded good.

Good morning! The after high of my BodyPump class didn't last more than a couple of hours and then I was tired with a headache the rest of the day. :( I made it through though. Finally made it to church this week and had a wonderful meal with friends at Cactus. Had 18 kids (6-24 months) in kids ministry yesterday! It was crazy! Had to page out 7 of them because I couldn't get them to calm down. Luckily we got a bunch of extra helpers last minute because there were only supposed to be 2 of us in there originally. This is what happens when there is a morning Seahawks game...we get overrun with kids at the evening service. Got a few things at PCC on my way home including steaks, komucha (with a bottle of plain so I can make a new SCOBY), and a bag of olive oil/rosemary potato chips that I may have eaten all of  :ph34r:. Grocery shopping with a headache = bad idea. Played Star Wars the Old Republic with husband while we ate our steaks and managed to get almost 7.5 hours of mostly uninterrupted sleep. Woke up a little after 5 and never really fell back asleep. Didn't help that one of the cats laid down a stink bomb in the litter box. Yuck! Anyone have a good natural odor neutralizing tip? Sleeping this close to the litter box kind of stinks (literally) but no where else to put it. Going to work from home today so I can hopefully get work and chores done.

Food/Activity Yesterday:

Exercise: BodyPump 87

Snack: Tall Starbucks drip coffee, a lot of purple grapes (not the best post wo meal...need to work on this)

M2: Cup of chicken tortilla soup and Migas (House–made chorizo, basil scrambled eggs, serrano and tomato salsa, queso blanco, guacamole, warm corn tortillas, spicy brunch potatoes.) minus the salsa at Cactus (this was SOOOO good)

M3: Bag of potato chips (potatoes, olive oil, sea salt, and rosemary) and grass fed rib eye steak, square of Theo's mint dark chocolate

Archived