Physibeth's Post-W30 Log

Physibeth

We love our sweet potatoes in this house, but I only like them when they're not overcooked and with garlic and salt.  I try other things on occasion and always come back to those two ingredients.

How are your sinuses?  I've been thinking of you as mine have gotten worse.  No fun at all and especially can't be with your busy schedule.

You're cooking up some good sounding things from that new Well Fed book.  Tempted to buy it!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lots of good suggestions on the sweet potatoes! I'll have to try them! Yes avoiding fat as post workout. When I roast them myself I like them straight up but not as good from a can (but more affordable and less time consuming). I opened a new can today and ate it straight and it was better so I think part of the problem was how long those had been sitting there.

Sinuses are kind of holding steady. It kind of ebs and flows throughout the day which is annoying. I'm not dizzy all the time anymore though so that is good. I'd rather have post nasal drip sore throat than be dizzy all day. 

I've been really enjoying both Well Fed 2 and OMG That's Paleo. I think I need to make myself give some love to some of my other cookbooks next week though. :D Getting The 21 Day Sugar Detox tomorrow in the mail. I think I'm going to do that program in January (post holidays) and might be getting a friend to do it with me.

Morning folks. Feeling pretty out of it today. I probably should have let myself sleep in today but beefy cat made a nasty stinky in the litter box and I just couldn't stay in bed after that. Yuck! Was so tired when I got home last night and probably should have gone to bed earlier than I did. Kitchen is a mess again. I want to run today but I'm tired and I need to clean the kitchen. Hrm. 

Food/Movement from Yesterday:

M1: 3 fried eggs, kraut, creamy leek soup, bacon, black coffee

Exercise: Body Pump 76

Post WO: baked chicken and sweet potato puree

M2: sage bison burgers with bacon apple chutney (OMG That's Paleo?), head of lettuce with homemade ranch, raw cacao cashew clusters

Exercise: Practice WiM with my friend

Snack: Kombucha and raw cacao cashew clusters

M3: Blueberry-Glazed Pork Chops (OMG That's Paleo?), Turnip Fritters

I'd clean the kitchen and take a nap and skip the run. :) 

The sage bison burgers with bacon apple chutney sounds so good!  I wish our farmer's market wasn't closed for the year or I'd go get some bison.  I could use beef, I suppose. 

Finally did get myself going yesterday. I was pretty tired all day, but I made it through. Had my Wednesday coffee date with a friend after a long hiatus which was good but she is going through a really rough time right now so was heavy conversation, but good conversation none the less. Community group was good last night. Came home and made dinner for the hubs and got a good chunk of the kitchen mess cleaned up and got most of the prep for my breakfast done. Got my copy of The 21 Day Sugar Detox yesterday so took that to bed with me to skim through. I definitely think I will attempt it Jan 1-21 as a holiday detox. Also interested to see what limiting my carb sources that much will do for my weight loss. I like that she has adjustments in her program for those of us who are quite active. Not sure what I will do with the no foods in my CSA orders though. Slept alright last night. Woke up once or twice. Think I turned the lights out around 11:30 and was asleep pretty quickly. Got up at 6:30 this morning. I decided to set the alarm for 6:30 instead of 6 because having time to snooze makes me feel worse when I actually get up.

Food Yesterday:

M1: 3 fried eggs, creamy leek soup, bacon, kraut, black coffee

Snacked on raw cacao cashew clusters

M2: Romanian Burger, Creamy Leek Soup, more raw cacao cashew clusters (I needed to make more mayo and didn't)

Grande Americano from Starbucks

M3: Chicken Basil Meatloaf, mayo, belly dance beet salad (Well Fed 2)

Kombucha

I think a 21 day detox in Jan is a great idea.  I may see if my library has that book and read it to see if I want to do it with you.  It's got to be better than the lentil detox I did last Jan. LOL

Lentil detox sounds horrible! The book just released on Tuesday so library may not have it yet. It's by the same author of Practical Paleo and has a very similar structure and feel to it. There are 3 levels to the program based on where you are coming from. Based on my responses I'll be on Level 3 which is close to W30 with allowances for grass fed butter and a couple of other things restricted on W30 but limits fruits and starchy vegetable choices. There is another cookbook releasing in December I think as a companion to it with more compliant recipes. I'll probably follow her meal plan with a few adjustments for taste preferences. Would totally love to have company on the journey. Trying to convince my friend from the gym to give it a whirl with me. She will probably be on level 1.

Morning folks. Yesterday was kind of hard as I got my monthly visitor. This is the 2nd month in a row that it has been a bit early. Not sure if I should be concerned. I'm usually between 28 and 32 days in my cycle. Last month was 27 days and this month was 26 days. Explains why I've been sleeping so badly and why I had less energy than normal in pump yesterday. I'm pretty annoyed because I am teaching 2 tracks today and then getting in the pool for the remaining 9. I really despise wearing tampons and usually avoid them at all costs. Oh well...I suppose if I'm going to be teaching a class in the pool area with no lifeguard I should always be prepared to be getting in that pool anyway. Had our game night last night which was fine but I was grumpy and tired. We had a total of 4 trick or treaters. I had 40 little organic gummy bear packets. Glad we had people over to help me eat those.  :rolleyes: The 2nd bag of them (20 in each) is still unopened. I made a whole chicken yesterday for meat for the lasagna. Added a lb of frozen chicken feet to the bones/skin etc and filled with water and acv and now I have some very rich looking stock bubbling away in my crock pot. Plan to make some more carrot soup with some of it tonight.

Food/Exercise Yesterday:

M1: Stuffed Acorn Squash (OMG That's Paleo?), black coffee

Exercise: Body Pump 76

snacked on cashew cacao clusters

M2: Sage Beef Burgers w/ Bacon Apple Chutney (OMG That's Pale?), creamy leak soup

kombucha

M3: Creamy Rosemary Chicken Lasagna, baby romaine salad with homemade ranch, organic gummy bears  :rolleyes:

The bone broth sounds good.  I should make some today.  Maybe that would help my tummy. 

If you want to get rid of the gummies, I bet you could find a daycare or school to take them.  Of the candy the kids got last night, most will probably be donated to the school carnival.

My cycle is sometimes now 21 days.  I'd always been really consistent and now I'm not.  I have no idea if it's good or bad, but my sex drive has improved and there's no complaints from me on that one.  Bone broth soup sounds good.  I think I should have been trying to do that while dealing with the sinuses.  Four trick or treaters is such a disappointment!  We didn't have many either but that's because there's a community carnival going on.  After the carnival (at nine!) the kids come by.  I love trick or treating.  Organic gummy bears is a nice idea too.  I'd totally knock twice at your door with a different costume each time.

I think I'll hold on to the unopened bag. I'm going to a party tomorrow so might bring them. Or just save them to put out at our next game night. I almost brought them to work with me today but I decided that was a bad idea.

My period was super all over the place until I went on BC when I got married. It was wacky again when I went off but it has become somewhat predictable since I cleaned up my food. I'm just going to keep tracking it.

Class today was fine despite all my fretting. I did muss up the last part of the warmup but I just kept going and smiling and nobody seemed to notice/care. :)

Good morning! Had a pretty good day yesterday. Finished a project I'd been working on at work and tidied up my office and got to go home a little early. Hoping starting Monday with a clutter free office will help me stay motivated for the next project. Drove out to the farm to pick up my CSA share. So much fruit. I have a drawer full of pears (several varieties) and kiwi. I need to get my booch going so I can use all this extra fruit for flavoring and I need to get my dehydrator out and give it a whirl. Got my Old Navy order yesterday. I ordered 2 pairs of my jeans a size smaller and they fit! A little snug in the knee but the waist and butt fit perfect and they will stretch.  :D I also ordered several graphic t-shirts in size L (what I've been mostly wearing) and they look really big to me. Went back to the gym and ran through my WIM stuff last night and then came home and collapsed in front of the tv and re-did my nails again. Slept well (finally!) from about 11:30-7:15 I think. I don't remember getting up in the night at all. Yay! Today I have Body Pump/CX, a party to go to, and I'm babysitting tonight. Hoping to get my kitchen clean and my meal planning done and work on my WIM stuff a bit more in between all that. I pulled 2 quarts of broth last night (and refilled it with water/acv) and it is very rich looking. I let it cool on the counter top and it didn't gel, it's in the fridge now. The chicken feet look a bit gruesome in the pot but the smell is amazing and I could smell it down the hall when I came home last night.

Food/Movement Yesterday

M1: Stuffed Acorn Squash (OMG That's Paleo?), black coffee

Exercise: Teach/Take Water in Motion

M2: Creamy Rosemary Chicken Lasagna, pumpkin spice coconut butter cup

kombucha

M3: Romanian Burger, head of red lettuce with homemade ranch

Exercise: practice WIM

Snack: Apple, Raw cheddar, couple of packs of organic gummy bears  :rolleyes:

You know I made up the chicken breasts to eat post workout but I'm really just having a hard time choking it down. It really isn't what I want post workout. I'm going to have to freeze what I have at this point of it is going to go bad.

Ewww egg whites...blech! ;) I pay way too much for my eggs to not eat them whole. I need to make myself try a proper post wo meal (and I'm really bad at the timing) for at least a week to see if it makes a difference for me. Food without fats just seems so bland to me now.

So yesterday was an exciting day. We had a blip in power for about 5-10 minutes in the morning. Luckily it came back on and I went off to the gym. Super windy (we had gusts up to 65 mph) and I had a tree branch hit my car on the way in. Luckily it was small enough that it didn't do any damage but definitely scared me. Had a great pump/cx class (so sore!) and made my way home. Got to the garage and it wouldn't open. So I went and parked in the regular lot. Whole building was dark, no power. So I found a flashlight and showered and started looking for someone to eat lunch with as I was not going to open my fridge until the power was restored and I couldn't heat up/cook anything anyway. Finally made plans to eat with a couple of girlfriends at Cactus and that was great. Wet hair and all of course. Next stop was a welcome back party for a family that was here from Australia for a year in 2011/2012 and is back visiting for 3 weeks. That was so fun. Had a few treats but for the most part just chatted with people and spent a little time getting bossed around by my friends 3 year old. From there I went to babysit for my friends' almost 2 year old. That was fine until she had a messy accident just before bed. Eww. Didn't have time to stop for food so I ended up ordering a small pizza from one of my favorite places and pumpkin gelato too. Friends got home pretty early because they couldn't find parking at the movies. Headed home and as I turned onto our main road I started noticing that all the traffic lights were out and all the houses were dark. Got into the complex to find people gathered from another building in the parking lot (their fire alarm was going off). Parking in the garage (the door was open) and had to find my flashlight app to navigate out of the pitch black. Got upstairs finally to find one of the gals that work in the office hanging led lights and glow sticks as our emergency lights all ran out of juice. Told her about the fire alarm. So crazy and a bit creepy. Looking out my windows I could see all the downtown lights mocking me.  :rolleyes: Read in the dark until I fell asleep. Didn't sleep very well because of the pizza and gelato (which I ate most of considering my freezer was off). Power finally came back on around 3am. So thankful for power today. :) Really hoping my continuous broth in the crock pot is OK. I made sure I didn't take the cover off. I guess we'll see what it smells like tonight. Thankful for daylight savings extra hour of sleep too. Pizza gave me heart burn (as expected) but was able to sleep better after a shot of ACV in water.

Food/Movement Yesterday:

M1: 4 eggs scrambled in sauteed beet greens, black coffee, bacon

Exercise: Body Pump Express (83) + CxWorx

M2: Butternut Squash Soup, black coffee, Migas (at Cactus restaurant)

Snacks: 1 Tim Tam (double one...so sweet...should have declined), a small piece of cheese, a couple of feta bite things (not entirely sure what they were but they were good), sanpeligrino (sp?) blood orange soda

M3: small chicken, mushroom, spinach pizza from Pagliacci and pumpkin gelato

Yeah...I'm not fussed on egg whites much anymore, I had a nearly egg white omelette a little while ago (1 egg, 4 whites) and was most dissatisfied with the taste! I buy different eggs to use for separating - free range instead of organic - because of the cost! Perhaps if you had enough chicken and sweet potato you wouldn't need much egg white to hold it together?

You must be more Aussie than me...I don't remember the last time I had a Timtam! Did they have vegemite sandwiches too? And fairy bread? :)

Yeah...I'm not fussed on egg whites much anymore, I had a nearly egg white omelette a little while ago (1 egg, 4 whites) and was most dissatisfied with the taste! I buy different eggs to use for separating - free range instead of organic - because of the cost! Perhaps if you had enough chicken and sweet potato you wouldn't need much egg white to hold it together?

You must be more Aussie than me...I don't remember the last time I had a Timtam! Did they have vegemite sandwiches too? And fairy bread? :)

They brought Vegemite with them. Most of our group had it inflicted on them last time they were here and knew better. I tried it when I visited a friend in Sydney in 2002. Yuck! No idea what fairy bread is. I think the last time I had a Timtam was when they were living here as well.

I love when the power goes out - aside from the lack of heat and the food that doesn't cook and the flashlights with dying batteries - but it still makes the day eventful.  What a great day you had visiting with friends.  It's part of what makes life rich and it's so easy to forget to do.  Hope your broth turns out well.

Ewww egg whites...blech! ;) I pay way too much for my eggs to not eat them whole.

Yes! This!

I think we were in the same Whole 30 cohort back in June (?). Great to read about all your good work here.

I'm not sure what it is, but I like the sound of a TimTam!

I'm not sure what it is, but I like the sound of a TimTam!

This is a Timtam:

Milk chocolate (38%)(sugar, milk solids, cocoa butter, cocoa mass, emulsifiers (e322: soy, e476), flavouring), wheat flour, sugar, vegetable oil, golden syrup, colours (e102, e110, e129, e133, e150), milk solids, cocoa, salt, raising agent(e500), emulsifier (e322: soy) and flavouring.

It's a very popular Australian choc biscuit - two choc biscuits, creamy choc stuff between, covered in chocolate...

I got requests for them every time I went over to visit family in the uk!!

Fairy bread is served at lots of kids parties - it's white sliced bread, spread with butter, dipped in "hundreds and thousands" (sprinkles? Nonpareils?), crusts cut off :)

My friends from overseas couldn't understand why you'd want to eat sugar balls on bread...

Wow! I think this is pretty funny considering when our Aussie friends came over here the first time they didn't think Americans ate fruits and vegetables. :)

Archived