Physibeth's Post-W30 Log

Physibeth

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey everybody! I have not tried icing...I really dislike icing. It is feeling a little better today. Probably because I didn't sit at a desk all day. My flight was good and the movies on my kindle helped make it seem shorter. I have been up for about 31 hours with a couple of short naps though. Hoping I sleep hard tonight. Going to go to a boot camp style workout with my brother in the morning. Was in a rush to pack last night so forgot to put any compliant snacks in my bag. Ended up buying nuts and dried fruit.

Food/Exercise Yesterday:

M1: 3 fried eggs over sauteed bok choy and bacon, black coffee, apple cider

Exericse: BodyPump

Raw cheddar, apple cider

M2: Beef Roast with Beets (The Paleo Slow Cooker)

kombucha, tea, coffee

M3: 3 fried eggs, bacon, kraut, gluten free cookies

airplane snacks: salted pistachios, dry mango, popcorn kettle chips (moment of weakness decision), water

Back in warm, rainy, humid Washington. I think I literally heard my hands suck up the moisture when I got off the plane. ;) I had a great time visiting my family but it is also great to be home. Food for the past week was nowhere near perfect but was much better than expected. My parents were great about accommodating me and I picked my battles wisely. My mom even made meatza totally unprompted by me. Had plenty of paleo friendly dishes on Thanksgiving too. I did decided a few gluteny/sugary things were worth it. We went out for lunch on my grandmother's birthday for example and I had the homemade crackers and flatbread that came with my curried butternut squash soup and I had a rather generous piece of coconut cake for dessert. Both were outstandingly worth it. My flight last night was at 5:30pm and I wasn't really hungry in the airport so I got a snack box that had salami and cheese and crackers and stuff in it. Perhaps not entirely worth it but better than being over hungry. I did have larabars in my purse though which I completely forgot about. Got home and there was really nothing to eat except the eggs I had saved for my breakfast this morning and a lot of fruit. Had an orange before bed.

Ready to get back on track. Going to BodyPump/CX this morning and than will go to the grocery store to get protein for at least today and to the farm to get my CSA for this week. Need to meal plan today so I can do the rest of my shopping tomorrow after church.

Nice to see you back! Sounds like you had a lovely time with your family :) the coconut cake sounds delicious (or what I'm envisaging you had, anyway :) )

It was a very moist white cake with a cream cheese and shredded coconut frosting. It wasn't too terribly sweet and I love me a moist cake! 

Morning all! So nice to be mostly back on track yesterday. Got up and scrounged for breakfast. Tried gelatin in my coffee for the first time (the one in the green container that doesn't gel) and will probably continue to do that for a while. Went to BodyPump Express and CXWORX. So very sore this morning. Especially my tush. Went to the grocery store after class and was just going to get a little food but ended up doing a weeks worth of shopping (I hope). Picked up my CSA and got it all home. Stuck a whole chicken in the crock pot with a pile of fresh herbs on top (a pack leftover from Thanksgiving). Need to pull that apart this morning and get broth going. Bought chicken feet to put in the broth again. Hopefully we won't lose power this time. Husband and I braved Best Buy yesterday because his mouse died and I wanted a better keyboard. Got home and played some Star Wars the Old Republic. When he left I watched some tv (I have so much on my tivo right now) and redid my nails (shiney shimmery pink!) and made some dinner and some cookies to take to a viewing of The Hobbit party. Ate one small chocolate cake that was fantastic at the party and some popcorn and too many of the almond flour cookies I brought. Overall a fun night. Topped it off with more tv and a cup of tea with gelatin. I need to make some fruit jellies with natural calm today to have for my evening gelatin. I bought all the stuff before I left and never made it. Want to get the rest of the meat I bought prepped to edible food this morning and put together some sort of meal plan. I'm determined to need vegetables by the end of the week. I really need to get my dehydrator out and clear out some of the fruit I have in the fridge. 

Food/Movement Yesterday:

M1: 3 fried eggs, kraut, black coffee with gelatin

M2: 2 grass fed hot dogs, baby carrots, mayo, mustard, 3 small red potatoes roasted in bacon fat, kombucha

M3: 2 mild italian pork sausages, baby carrots, mayo

Snacks: grain free chocolate chip cookies, yummy tiny chocolate cake, cheddar and kettle popcorn, herbal tea with gelatin

I've also been having gelatin/collagen in my drinks - usually coffee preWO, with some coconut oil added for fats :) I haven't got the jelly version yet as it wasn't available on iherb when I bought ours but I want to. Can you get a sufficient amount for a serve in the fruit jellies you mentioned? They sound pretty good!

Oh glad to read you got to use gelatine finally. 

Amber, i put almost a TBS per serving of jelly. You can make "gummy bears" from fruits with gelatine or marshmallows (literally water, gelatine and water + sweetener of choice, but I don't do that much). I love to make squash-coconut milk - gelatine thing. Not sweet to call it a dessert, but not a side dish exactly. So good! Also avocado goes really well with gelatine believe it or not. 

I wonder how that works with tea, never tried it. And adding natural calm in jello? Brilliant, Beth! 

Oh god to read you got to use gelatine finally. 

Amber, i put almost a TBS per serving of jelly. You can make "gummy bears" from fruits with gelatine or marshmallows (literally water, gelatine and water + sweetener of choice, but I don't do that much). I love to make squash-coconut milk - gelatine thing. Not sweet to call it a dessert, but not a side dish exactly. So good! Also avocado goes really well with gelatine believe it or not. 

I wonder how that works with tea, never tried it. And adding natural calm in jello? Brilliant, Beth! 

Wish I could claim it as my own idea but I got it from here: http://butterbeliever.com/homemade-magnesium-gummies-a-chewable-chill-pill-and-natural-sleep-aid/

What's the squash coconut milk recipe?

Glad to hear your had a nice visit home.  It sounds like you did a great job of balancing.  And it does feel good to get back into the routine!

Can I ask why you are all taking gelatin?  This is a new one to me.

This article has a good summary of the reasons: http://wellnessmama.com/7419/12-uses-for-gelatin/

“According to Nourishing Traditions and much of the information I've read from the Weston A. Price foundation, there are various health benefits to Gelatin, including:

- Supports skin, hair and nail growth

- Good for joints and can help joint recovery

- Can help tighten loose skin (like the kind you get after having four babies in five years…)

- Can improve digestion since it naturally binds to water and helps food move more easily though the digestive track

- Rumored to help improve cellulite

- Great source of dietary collagen (side note: collagen is too large to be absorbed by the skin, so those skin creams are pretty useless… get it internally and use coconut oil for lotion!)

- Source of protein (though not a spectacular one) but its specific amino acids can help build muscle.â€

Gelatin is largely composed of the amino acids glycine and proline, which many people don't consume in adequate amounts as they are found in the bones, fibrous tissues and organs of animals and as a population, we don't consume these parts as much anymore. These amino acids are needed not only for proper skin, hair and nail growth, but for optimal immune function and weight regulation!

Glycine, which makes up about 1/3 of the amino acids in gelatin powder is anti-inflammatory and evidence is finding that it can help speed wound healing. Glycine in gelatin can also help improve sleep ease and quality.

This is a lot of the same thing we are after when we drink bone broth too and why a bone broth that gels when cooled is supposed to be healthier...more collagen.

Good morning! Had a pretty good day yesterday. Got some of the chores I wanted to do done, but not all. Husband and I played a lot more Star Wars though and it was good to spend the time with him. Great sermon at church, fun lunch out with my friend, kids ministry was pretty low key. Aside from a low grade headache (I never drink enough water on Sundays) it was a really good day. I think I even slept through the night...maybe got up once? Up too late though and probably only 7 hours of sleep. Have a massage this morning then back to work. Going to escape for a bit in the afternoon to practice through what I'm teaching tomorrow morning. 

Food Yesterday:

M1: 4 eggs scrambled with sauteed kale, kraut, bacon, black coffee with gelatin

Kombucha

Grande Eggnog Latte (perhaps the source of my headache)

M2: Gustoso Pizza with gluten free crust  (Verde Sauce, Housemade Mozzarella, Gorgonzola, Caramelized Onions, Artichokes, Pancetta, Basil), butternut squash soup (Palomino Restaurant)

couple of paleo chocolate toffee pieces that my friend made

M3: grass fed rib eye steak with steamed baby brocolli

herbal tea with gelatin

Excellent lecture on gelatine LOL

I just bake squash, puree it and then add gelatine soaked with coconut milk. No recipe. I eat it like a snack with the spoon, not ideal ration but still carbs fats protein kind of thing. My Dad loves it as dessert (+maple syrup and cinnamon). 

Excellent lecture on gelatine LOL

I just bake squash, puree it and then add gelatine soaked with coconut milk. No recipe. I eat it like a snack with the spoon, not ideal ration but still carbs fats protein kind of thing. My Dad loves it as dessert (+maple syrup and cinnamon). 

Gotta love cut and paste...makes me sound smart. ;)

I might try that...I have some cans of pureed pumpkin and sweet potato that I've been looking for uses for. How much coconut milk do you use? I've got 2/3's of a cup leftover from the paleo meatloaf I made last night.

Good morning! Yesterday was OK. I got really tired in the evening though and was a big slacker. My apartment is a wreck and I was on the couch watching tv. *sigh* I tried to go find a dress for the charity thing I'm going to on Thursday but the Macy's near my apartment had no formal wear and I didn't have the energy to fight the traffic at the bigger malls. Maybe before work tomorrow. I meant to have tuna with cucumbers for dinner but I ran out of mayo and out of olive oil for making mayo. :( Must go to store for that today. Slept alright. Up to late and my husband woke me up when he came to bed and it took me an hour or so to fall back asleep. Forgot my salad for lunch too. Teaching WIM this morning. :) It is really cold here today. 35 according to our indoor/outdoor thermostat. Brrr. Praying it does not snow. 

Food/Movement Yesterday:

M1: 4 eggs scrambled in sauteed kale, bacon, black coffee with gelatin

M2: Paleo Meatloaf (Civilized Caveman's App), clementine

Exercise: Practice WIM

Kombucha

M3: 2 mild Italian pork sausage, baby carrots, apple, raw cheddar (too much), couple of tastes of pumpkin spice coconut butter, square of dark chocolate, herbal tea with gelatin

This is what I'm putting in my drinks: http://www.amazon.com/Great-Lakes-Gelatin-Collagen-Hydrolysate/dp/B005KG7EDU/ref=pd_bxgy_gro_text_y

The green canister doesn't gel but dissolves in hot and cold liquids.

I've purchased this for jellies (I will make them...): http://www.amazon.com/Great-Lakes-Unflavored-Gelatin-16-Ounce/dp/B001ELLBJS/ref=pd_bxgy_gro_img_y

The red canister gels and can be used for jello, jellies, terra cotta, puddings, etc

Good morning! It's 28 degrees (F for you non-American's following along) here this morning. Yikes and brrr! We are not supposed to get days this cold here! Dragging my heals a bit this morning. Went to bed way too late and don't feel like I slept all that soundly. Kind of a crazy day yesterday. My class was awesome! They liked the new tracks I picked and I got lots of positive feedback. Microphone is finally out for repair so taught without it. I actually think I like teaching without it more to be honest. Got to work after class and got a few minor things done and did some reading up on programming. Had a snack before heading back to the gym for BodyPump. Took me forever to find a parking spot in the lot employees have to park in that is currently partially taken up by a Christmas Tree lot. Class was really good but I was feeling sore and weak in my right side including a knee that wasn't too keen on how many squats I did. Went to Fred Meyer after class to pick up some husband food, olive oil for my mayo, and much needed contact solution. Got to check out and realized I didn't have my wallet. :o Had to drive home and back and then wait for them to retrieve my stuff from their freezer. As I was walking out the buzzer went off. I think it was a sensor on my contact solution box.  :rolleyes:  Nobody came to check so I just left. Finally got home and showered and didn't eat dinner until like 10 pm. Ate sitting on my bed while watching an episode of Reign on my Kindle Fire because husband was using the main tv to play a game. Today aside from work I need to find a dress for this charity gig and make food for a potluck tonight. Going to put a roast in the crock pot (after I go purchase it) and come home early to make some brownies. 

Food/Movement Yesterday:

M1: 4 eggs scrambled with sauteed kale, bacon, black coffee with gelatin

Exercise: teach WIM

black coffee

M2: turkish doner kebab burger (WF2), spring mix salad with homemade vinegrette, clementine, kombucha, square of dark chocolate

snack: honeycrisp apple and raw cheddar

Exercise: BodyPump

snack: coconut larabar 

M3: 2 grass fed hotdogs with mayo and mustard, 3 small red potatoes diced and roasted in bacon fat dipped in mayo, herbal tea with gelatin

Archived