Physibeth's Post-W30 Log

Physibeth

Sleep is always such an issue isn't.  I've been having crazy two hours stints of wide awakeness.  Part of me wonders if it's the magnesium.  Could the magnesium help me fall asleep so deeply that when something wakes me up at three, my brain feels fresh and alert and ready for the day? (Rhetorical question-not really needing an answer unless you've ever considered the same thing) It sounds a bit suspect, but I have upped the amount I take from 1/2 tsp to a hearty 3/4 and I've slept better the last two nights (but that could be Whole30, my cold, or just my life).  

You really do maintain a busy schedule with lots of good commitments in your life.  Changing your kids' ministry time so you can attend church with your husband sounds nice.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Proof that I'm definitely a Paleo person - the server at the restaurant today tried to clear my plate while I still had an entire strip of bacon on it and I grabbed the plate and just about bit his hand off. He tried to pull that plate away anyway and I said "please no not my bacon!" pretty loud. My friends and I all had a good laugh about it afterwards.

Proof that I'm definitely a Paleo person - the server at the restaurant today tried to clear my plate while I still had an entire strip of bacon on it and I grabbed the plate and just about bit his hand off. He tried to pull that plate away anyway and I said "please no not my bacon!" pretty loud. My friends and I all had a good laugh about it afterwards.

lol! I did that once with a 1/2 full glass of wine (several years ago, mind you). priorities... :rolleyes:

Thanks Jen!

Yesterday was the first day that I felt like my pre-holiday self. I had energy in the afternoon and evening and no brain fog. I can't remember the last Sunday I came home not feeling tired in fact. I've been having some sort of grain almost every Sunday for months. Hmmm...guess I'm making the connections. ;) I should not have gotten an Americano after lunch though. Nor should I have nursed it for several hours. My new found energy turned into my being up until almost 1:30 am. I did get a lot accomplished though and I have a new monthly/weekly planner for my task lists and meal plans and I bought a daily planner to try writing out a more structured schedule for myself with the goal of trying to plan out the next day before bed each night. We'll see how that goes. I got a big calendar to hang on the wall too so that hopefully husband and I can be more on the same page. Alarm went off at 6 and I snoozed until 6:30. I probably should have let myself sleep later but honestly I wasn't sleeping well and was awake anyway. Signed up for a 10k in March and formulated a running plan to go with. Because I have not been running much at all recently it is starting me off with a measly 6 miles a week which is fine by me. Rather ease back into it than injure myself. 

Food Yesterday:

M1: apple pie smoothie (21 day sugar detox cookbook), 2 fried eggs, black coffee with gelatin

Snack: sliced green apple & raw cheddar

M2: burger with bacon inside and out, Gruyère, avocado, fried egg, and argula, green salad with cucumber that I squeezed lemon juice on and a little salt and pepper

Snack: grande Americano <- not smart :rolleyes: 

M3: artichoke and lemon chicken with capers (21 day sugar detox cookbook)

Snack: 8oz kombucha 

I second that woohoo for the 10K in March.  That's exciting.  And invigorating.  What do you use or where do you go to for your running plan? Or do you create them yourself?

I use an app on Runner's World's site called Smart Coach and I really like it. You tell it your current stats and your goals and it spits out a training plan. The plan includes target paces but I started playing with using HR zones when I trained for my last half and I think that works better for me so I am using my plan for mileage and workout spacing and I just ordered a chest strap that is compatible with my garmin so I can program it to use HR zones for my targets.

Good afternoon/evening. Had a pretty decent day yesterday despite how tired I was. The eye twitch finally went away when I got enough water in me so I'm guessing I didn't have enough on Sunday and that is what triggered it. Got all my food prep done and to bed at a more reasonable hour. Not the 10pm I'm aiming for but I think I turned the light out around 10:30. I don't remember waking before my alarm at 6am but I'm not sure about that. Hit the snooze button my allowed 3x. I think I'm going to change that to max of 2 next week, and then 1 and then decide if I want to turn off the ability to snooze altogether.

Taught this morning. Had my very first brain freeze. Luckily it was only about 8 counts and then I remembered what we were supposed to be doing. I think in future I need to just do jacks with them until I remember...usually a safe default. ;) I pause the music between the core and flexibility tracks (the last 2) so they can get rid of their pool noodles and today my player wouldn't go back on. Doh! And I didn't have my backup music on my phone. So I just taught it with no music. About half way through it I noticed my manager was peaking in the door watching me. Yikes. Hopefully I did a good job of rolling with the punches. Hard to know if your counts are correct without the music. Nice big class today and their energy was high and so was mine so I had a blast!

Food/Exercise Yesterday:

M1: 3 eggs scrambled in sauteed kale, kraut, coffee with gelatin

Exercise: 2 mile easy run (it was a little slick in places as we were at freezing but I was ok just shortening my stride)

Post W/O - smoothie with pumpkin, water, 1/2 banana, 2 tbs gelatin, spices

M2: artichoke and lemon chicken with capers (21 day sugar detox cookbook), romaine heart ripped up with vinaigrette and mayo

Exercise: went into the gym after lunch and practiced the new tracks I taught today then setup a bench with 6 risers and did 10 pushups, 9 tricep pushups (with questionable range of motion), held a hover (plank on forearms) for about 45 seconds, held side hovers on both sides for about 30 seconds. I'm trying to build up my strength on these moves and this is what a trainer friend suggested for me. When this gets easy I pull a set of risers.

Snack: apple spice "granola" (21 day sugar detox cookbook), whole milk

M3: ahi poke bowl (21 day sugar detox cookbook) - but not really, the idea of the raw fish didn't really appeal to me. I used canned tuna instead. It was delicious.

Glad to hear you made it work with your class tonight even though it didn't all go as planned ;)

Yay on signing up for the 10k :)

EDIt: congrats on being Moderator.  I didn't notice because I usually post from my phone and the moderator tag doesn't show up there ;)

Sugar detox has been going fine. I didn't sleep a wink last night though so now I'm trying to decide if I press through my day or stay home and try to sleep. I at least have to take my husband to the dentist this morning and then pick him up before lunch. Coffeeing up so hopefully I'm ok to drive. I'm not sure if it was the coffee I had after lunch, the 7pm bodypump class, the disappointing email that I got when I shouldn't have been checking my phone at almost midnight, or a combination of all of the above. I could not shut my brain off. I would start falling asleep on my book and then turn the lights out and lay there thinking. Bah! I ended up watching movies on my kindle hoping I would nod off on one but I didn't. *sigh*

Aside from that I had a pretty good day yesterday. ;)

Food/Exercise Yesterday:

M1: banana vanilla bean chia n'oatmeal (21 day sugar detox cookbook), black coffee with gelatin

Exercise: Teach WIM

Post WO: Recovery shake - pumpkin, water, banana, gelatin, spices

M2: ahi-tuna poke bowl (21 day sugar detox cookbook) - but with canned salmon instead of raw fish

tall americano with whole milk, 8oz citrus kombucha

M3: coffee & cocoa rubbed ribs (21 day sugar detox cookbook) (AMAZING), beet & carrot salad (21 day sugar detox cookbook)

Exercise: BodyPump

Snack: tea with gelatin, celery with sundried tomato hummus (21 day sugar detox cookbook)

Sorry about the bad night sleep.  I HATE that!

I never hit snooze.  I just get up.  My husband thinks I'm so weird that I get up immediately when my alarm goes off.  He hits snooze several times.  Part of the reason is that in my sleepy state, I'd just start hitting buttons and totally mess up my alarm.

Good morning! What a day yesterday. Drove husband to the dentist, came home and wrote out the thoughts that were churning in my brain (what I should have done the previous night) and then attempted to sleep until it was time to go pick him up. Went and got him and came home and pretty much watched tv all day while my husband slept on the couch. I have a very hard time sleeping during the day. Around 5 pm I got in my jammies and made myself a cup of hot water with lemon juice and a 1/2 tsp of natural calm and went to bed with my kindle and watched 2 episodes of firefly. Husband felt the drugs had worn off enough to go into work around this time too. Tried to read and kept dropping the book so turned the light out and went to sleep sometime between 8 and 9pm. Woke when my husband came home (around 10:30pm) and went back to sleep and woke around 5am when husband came to bed. Chilled in bed until my alarm went off at 6am. Probably got between 8 and 9 hours of sleep total. Feel much better this morning. Need to do a bit of food prep before I go to work as I didn't make dinner last night and those leftovers were for lunch today. 

Food Yesterday:

M1: banana n'oatmeal (21 day sugar detox cookbook), black coffee

M2: coffee & coca rubbed ribs (21 day sugar detox cookbook), beet and carrot salad (21 day sugar detox cookbook), 8oz citrus kombucha

Snack: apple cinnamon "granola" (21 day sugar detox cookbook), whole milk, hot water with lemon and natural calm

glad you got some sleep finally. that stuff is tricky!

It is! Considering I was an insomniac all through high school and my first couple years of college having these no/low nights of sleep really worry me that the insomnia has returned. Really they are usually an indication of either having too much caffeine to late in the day or something I'm anxious about. So I need to be better about not having caffeine in the afternoon/evening and I need to find some anti-anxiety techniques that work for me.  

Sorry about the bad night sleep.  I HATE that!

I never hit snooze.  I just get up.  My husband thinks I'm so weird that I get up immediately when my alarm goes off.  He hits snooze several times.  Part of the reason is that in my sleepy state, I'd just start hitting buttons and totally mess up my alarm.

Bhahah they do this all the time, right? Latest alarm complication is that I am on the side of the bed closest to the alarm clock. So he pokes me to poke the snooze button = I am not allowed to get up right away. 

Bethany, raw fish, really? Interesting. Was it a bad experience that you don't like it? I love tartars of all sorts! Especially tuna+strawberry. I need to buy tuna today. Yes. 

Well for one thing the fact that I eat seafood of any kind aside from canned tuna drenched in mayo is a fairly new thing for me. I've slowly made myself try things and make things over the past few years. When I do make it at home I choose recipes carefully because I know reheating and freezing doesn't go as well with most fish as it does with meat. And I'm still not a super accomplished cook so why I might try (and have tried) fish that style in a really good restaurant where someone that knows what they are doing prepared it I'm much less willing to try it at home.

Yay for sleep!

As for raw fish, we save that for when we go out as well.  I'm always worried about quality when consuming raw things, so my hope is that a really nice restaurant doesn't want to make you sick.  I don't trust my skills or the grocery store!

Good morning folks. Had a pretty decent day. Actually even got some stuff done at work. When I went to bed last night though I had quite the gurgly tummy. I got up and watched tv for a while because I was feeling uncomfortable laying down. Had some hot water with ACV and some hot water with natural calm and finally got to sleep around 1 I think. Tummy still feeling unsettled today. Not sure what is up. I did have the same thing for lunch and dinner yesterday (chicken strips coated in almond and arrowroot flour and mashed parsnips) so it could be that (which would stink because it is what I plan to eat for lunch today too...didn't feel like cooking last night). Or could this be from the natural calm? I had never used it before the last two nights. I did sleep through to my alarm at 6 which I totally appreciated. In fact my husband apparently got up and went to watch tv in the living room sometime between when I came to bed and when I got up and I don't recall hearing him. Planning to go to the gym for cxworx, wim practice, and a short run today around 11. Hope my tummy settles enough to do all that.

Food/Exercise Yesterday:

M1: Pizza Frittata (21 Day Sugar Detox Cookbook), raw kraut, black coffee

M2: Crispy chicken tenders, no-honey mustard sauce, parsnip mash (all from 21 Day Sugar Detox Cookbook)

M3: Crispy chicken tenders, no-honey mustard sauce, parsnip mash (all from 21 Day Sugar Detox Cookbook), 8oz kombucha

Exercise: BodyPump 1 hr

Snack: Post workout shake (pumpkin, water, 1/2 banana, gelatin, spices)

It could be the Natural Calm - how much did you take? If I take too much it doesn't do good things to me! It's one of those things where you have to slowly ramp up to a "therapeutic" dose.

How does the parsnip mash compare to mashed potatoes or mashed cauliflower? Mashed cauliflower is okay to me, but not so delicious that I'm not open to other options. :) I don't think I've ever had a parsnip!

It could be the Natural Calm - how much did you take? If I take too much it doesn't do good things to me! It's one of those things where you have to slowly ramp up to a "therapeutic" dose.

How does the parsnip mash compare to mashed potatoes or mashed cauliflower? Mashed cauliflower is okay to me, but not so delicious that I'm not open to other options. :) I don't think I've ever had a parsnip!

I only took 1/2 tsp though I didn't level it off. Maybe I'll skip it tonight and see how I feel.

I liked the mashed parsnips a lot. They are very fragrant and a little sweet. I had not had them before either.

Archived