Physibeth's Post-W30 Log

Physibeth

• Moderators

Yes, I keep thinking I need to do a nightly ritual. I need to figure out one that is simple so I can stick to it. Deep breathing I must not do correctly because it sometimes stresses me out more. Class went well. Was at the gym from 9am-3pm between teaching and practicing for launch tomorrow. So hungry when I got home. Glad I had food to make a quick meal all ready. Need to find some time to do more cook up this weekend.

Alternate nostril breathing, aka nadi shodana, works wonders for me. It has a deeply calming effect and balances the body's polarities. Inhale and exhale for the same count, and you don't have to count very high to start, especially if it stresses you out. Do a little google search if you're interested. It's my go-to for difficulty falling asleep. That and legs up the wall. Just lie on your back with butt against a wall and rest your legs straight up against the wall. Clear your mind. That's also a yoga prescription for relaxation before bed, FYI. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't realize it had been this long since I'd checked in. Wow! Food has been for the most part more in line though I need to get more veggies as per usual. ;) Have stuff in the fridge for a cookup between today and tomorrow.

Sleep has been better when I actually go to bed. Netflix is the devil though. Been binge watching Friends.  :rolleyes: I'm trying to make a rule of no tv or computer after 8pm to see if that helps. Last night I got almost 8 hours because I went to bed early but was up a lot in the night. Looked at my cycle tracker and sure enough I'm about a week out from that time of the month. I really can't stand to keep having a week of disrupted sleep out of every 4. There must be something I can be doing during this week to help myself stay asleep. I do know I was having a hard time staying full yesterday so maybe I just need to eat more. Any thoughts? I had plenty of food yesterday. 

• Moderators

Just the old plenty of starchy veg with meal three trick. I'm talking a giant sweet potato plenty. And limiting fruit and caffeine to before noon.

Great job getting to bed earlier!

I just started doing the nostril thing before meditating. I tried it last night on LM's suggestion and it really helped me fall asleep quickly--even though I felt a bit revved up. 

Sorry your sleep is difficult. My periods started coming closer together, which is totally bumming me out and I'm really hoping I can slow this down by eating better. But, anyway. It stinks when you think you're doing yourself a favor and you end up waking up a bunch. Good job though resisting the screen in the evening. When I'm tired I am much more likely to zonk out in front of it so evening is usually the hardest time to resist--even though I know it's the most important time to resist. 

Same here Beets on the screen time. Last night I stayed on the computer too long because I was studying my choreography for my class this morning and then decided a quick perusal of facebook would be fine...never quick. :rolleyes: Had some weird sections of being awake on my sleep data this morning that I don't remember at all. Because this thing doesn't touch me I think sometimes the cat moving around will make it think I'm awake. Or I really don't remember being awake. Add to that the water sensor under our water heater deciding it desperately needed a new battery at 5:30am I didn't get a great nights sleep. Took me a long time to figure out where the beeping was coming from and I had to get a screwdriver to get the battery out. Never did fall back to sleep. *sigh*

I guess I didn't have a starchy vegetable with meal 3 yesterday either. Had 2 potatoes with meal 2. Made a hot plate of ground pork, cabbage, and a chopped apple for meal 3. I very rarely eat fruit but if I do it is always after noon because I find I'm hungry all day if I eat it earlier. Been pretty good about avoiding caffeine after noon and have been cutting my morning coffee with decaf. Guess I just keep on keeping on. :) I would love to get 30 solid days in a row of at least 6 hours of sleep. I think it would do me wonders. It will take discipline of course. But I hope the more days I can do it the more that discipline will come. Being tired never helps discipline. I would also like to get 30 days of going to bed with a clean kitchen in a row. Maybe I'll make today my start day for those 2 goals.  

I've been pretty aggressive with upping my carbs in the past few days and I'm staying asleep better. Yay! I might have had more than a single square of dark chocolate on each of these days too.  :ph34r: I probably need to experiment with magnesium again. Out of the last 4 nights only Monday night was less than 6 hours and that was because my left hip/lower back was very very very angry and the pain was keeping me awake/waking me despite icing and advil. Saw the chiropractor yesterday and once it realized it wasn't going to get poked and prodded anymore it calmed down quite a lot and I slept much better (still took advil). We'll see how it feels after I teach this morning.  :rolleyes: Have some stretches to do on it and will go easier on my squats today.

• 3 weeks later...

Checking in. Just got back last night from a week in NH/Boston and I went pretty far off the rails. Feeling much better this morning after a good nights sleep in my own bed. Had a great trip spending time with family and attending Les Mills Boston Super Quarterly and doing my AIM 1 training for BODYPUMP. Both were great experiences. Glad to be back though! No snow, my own kitchen, and excited to get back to teaching.

Love the new profile pic!

Thanks! My friend took that during the Chest track of BODYPUMP. I love what BODYPUMP has done for my shoulder definition even though I still feel weak there. My bar was too heavy last night while I was teaching and I almost didn't finish the track. Used it as a teaching lesson for both careful weight selection and pushing yourself through fatigue. ;)

Eating still off the rails a bit, but I did a ton of batch cooking yesterday. Downloaded a free meal plan from Stupid Easy Paleo, made some modifications, shopped, and cooked. Let's see how I do sticking the course.  :rolleyes:

My class was cancelled on Saturday for an advanced instructor training so I decided to get up early and go to GRIT. Wow! I was hanging in there well until we had to jump. I can't jump. Need to fix that. ;) 

Back to my normal schedule this week. Massage today. Chiropractor tomorrow. Good food in the belly. :D

Ended up going out to eat for lunch yesterday but otherwise stuck to my plan. Probably will just advance my lunch meals forward a day as I have a "use up leftovers" day anyway. I still need to make a soup from my cookup plan that I just didn't get to. I shredded the mocha pot roast yesterday and it smells so good. Nom. Anyone have a quick and dirty method for shredding meats? I hate doing it with two forks. 

If you can wait to let the meat cool, you can use your fingers. . . .

I've always found it harder to shred when it is colder...is that not normally the case?

I think I remember reading on some food blog that you could shred cooked chicken breasts with the stand mixer but I could be crazy. If that is true would it work on the roast as well? Maybe need to do some google research.

Got home so late from my chiropractor appointment last night that I didn't get to eat said roast for dinner and just grabbed a chicken thigh and some sweet potato instead. I had to run back out to teach another class and I didn't want anything too heavy in my tummy. Crazy day yesterday!

• Moderators

I've always found it harder to shred when it is colder...is that not normally the case?

Colder as in refrigerated, probably. But I was thinking more like just let it cool until you can handle it.

Archived