Physibeth's Post-W30 Log

Physibeth

Nope - MN didn't get much snow this year.  It was a real bummer for the kids.  Nice for commuting to work, though.  It was just super cold, which stinks. 

That's the one part of this I don't like - feeling picky or annoying when eating away from home. 

Are you still doing your CSA?  We decided to skip this year and focus on getting to the farmers market.  Now I just have to do it!

I decided not to do it this year either because I threw so much away last year. I'm slowly working out how to make better use of produce and eat more produce as well. I'll get there. I've just got a ton on my plate right now. All good things...just distracting me from cooking.

I usually bring more than I need to when we have potlucks so I know there will be food I can eat. But I didn't have a car the last two days and I forgot about the potluck when I went shopping on Monday. Oops. So I ate food I normally would not and paid a little for it but that is alright. It's life.

Knee is feeling so so much better today. Only a few times where it bothered me practicing Sh'Bam today. Curious to see how pump is tonight. I'd like to go back up to my normal weight selections.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Training rescheduled for June 20-21. Will be on the next release so will have to start the learning process over. Oh well.

Knee is doing so much better. Yay!

Allergies (or is it actually a cold? so hard to tell!) are still kicking my butt. Got off my cleaning routine and my food is still not where I would like it to be. On that note I need to do some kitchen cleaning and see about getting things back under control here. Spent all of yesterday on the couch in my jammies wishing my sinuses would leave me alone. :P

• 3 weeks later...

Spent about 2 hours tonight doing a massive cook up! I have mocha rubbed pot roast in one crock pot and a pork shoulder in the other. I made belly dance beat salad, Casablanca carrots, creamy broccoli soup, and mustard-garlic Brussels sprouts. I roasted 3 very large purple sweet potatoes. I steamed 9 eggs (oh my work I'll never hard boil again...the peel came off so easy). I baked a package of bacon. I've got meat defrosting to make lemon artichoke chicken and blackened fish soft tacos with mango slaw. And I have two pitchers of water in the fridge one with lemons and limes and one with oranges. Once I clear up a little more space (the defrosting chicken is taking up too much room) I'm going to do a third with blueberry and cucumber I think. :D

My goal going forward is to always have options for protein, veg, and starch veg cooked up and available so when something runs out I need to make a replacement for it. I hope this will work better for me than a weekly cook up. If not I'll go back to that. I also want to always want to have roasted sweet potatoes and steamed eggs handy.

We'll see how it is going. 

Allergies are better. House is so-so. Teaching is going well. Bought plane tickets for two trips to NH in the late summer and fall for my sister's bridal shower and wedding. :D Hoping that getting the food back in order and maybe getting more sleep and water will make all the other things that much more enjoyable.

Thanks ladies! I took the time to shred both roasts while they were still warm this morning...much easier than last time I did one and let it cool. 15 minutes total for 4 lbs of meat. Nom! My kitchen smelled so good today! So happy to be able to come home from class this afternoon, shower, and just reheat some food that is already cooked! I need to constantly remind myself that I need my fridge full of food not ingredients to be successful. 

Got a little over 7 hours of sleep last night too which makes me feel super awesome. :-) 3rd night in a row around 7 hours after 4 nights that were in the 5-almost 6 range makes a big difference.

Busy day today...teaching a BP/CX class this morning, massage and chiropractor this afternoon, and my church small group meeting tonight. Need to take advantage of food already prepped to get the last two protein dishes cooked up after my appointments and before small group. I want to update my chalk boards in the kitchen with my available food choices and my intentions for eating/prepping this summer. Once the chips and treats I have are gone I need to stick to a no store bought chips or treats rule. Hoping that if I have to make them myself they will be less frequent. Hoping to use my ice cream maker this summer. Need to contemplate trying to brew kombucha again this summer. One step at a time. ;)

Ugh...I woke up this morning to find the fridge door ajar.  :wacko: Husband got a snack at some point in the night and must not have shut it all the way. Things were still cool but not cold. Should I worry about the food I have in there?? The fridge light blew out the next time I opened the door too. I'm most concerned about things that were on the top shelf next to the fridge light. *sigh*

I also learned this morning that part of the peelability of the eggs is how cold they are. They did not peel as well today.

Off to teach a 6:30am class today and of course this would be one of the times my smart alarm (set for a 15 minute interval) actually decides I'm awake so it should go off early. Going to be an interesting day.

Oh  no!  I think you are going to have to work through the food and use your judgment.  Make sure when you reheat things, that you bring them all the way up to temp.  I wouldn't want to throw away all that work you did, so I would use my nose and eyes as my guide.

That's the plan.

The hits just keep coming today. The only thing worse than getting up early to teach a class is having nobody show up.  <_< Actually one lady did come in but didn't want to stay if she was the only one even though I assured her I didn't mind teaching to just 1 person. 

The sun is out though and it is going to be a beautiful day. Focus on the positive!

Enjoy the beautiful day!  Sorry about the fridge. 

It's actually pouring today. That post was from Thursday. ;) We had a beautiful weekend though. Food all seems to be fine...I've not had to toss anything yet anyway.

• 2 months later...

Wow have I been neglecting this log! 

So I've decided to take a crack at a 3rd Whole30 starting today. I think I might keep my log here though rather than start one in the the Whole30 section. I've not decided yet. I'm doing this with a friend I've been playing Destiny with and it will be her first time.

Mostly doing it because I've been making a lot of concessions lately and I'm having a lot of joint pain and muscle fatigue. I also was in NH last week for my sister's bridal shower and ate awfully and felt so gross. Been mostly on point since I got back but starting officially today. Got rid of most of the off plan food before I started...need to hide my whey protein powder though. 

Starting it off well with 4 eggs and kale cooked in bacon fat, fermented carrots and sauerkraut, coffee.

Thanks ladies! It's been going just fine so far. Finding myself very very hungry though especially the first couple of days. I need to do some meal planning and cooking this weekend. A little tired of what I had on hand. Veggies are always hardest for me right now because I don't want them cooked. Been eating a lot of potatoes because they are easy and I need the carbs with my teaching schedule. Made some delicata squash yesterday for a change. Been feeling a bit weak in classes but my body has been angry with me for a while regardless. Need to be better about taking breaks from my Destiny playing and doing my foam rolling and other chiropractor assigned exercises at home.

My friend is doing well too. She's discovering all the lovely things like making her own mayo and her spiralizer comes today. I sent her links to nom nom, clothes make the girl, and stupid easy paleo. She works on her feet all day so trying to encourage her to eat more starchies. 

Over all a good experience so far going into day 5.

Did have a dream that I ordered a bagel last night and then realized I couldn't/shouldn't eat it but was mad because someone else paid for it and I was hungry but the service was bad so it never actually came. Then I woke up.  :rolleyes:

You're a good friend! She's going to rock it with all those resources.

I bought the spiralizer you recommended, and I LOVE it. I used to think, "Whatever. Veggie noodles." Now it's, "What ELSE can I make?!"

Doing W30s on the DL in my "post" log has worked really well for me.

This made me smile, M. I love the idea of a covert (Top Secret?) Whole30.

You're a good friend! She's going to rock it with all those resources.

I bought the spiralizer you recommended, and I LOVE it. I used to think, "Whatever. Veggie noodles." Now it's, "What ELSE can I make?!"

This made me smile, M. I love the idea of a covert (Top Secret?) Whole30.

You should check the blog/instagram of inspiralized. So many ideas (not 100% compliant but easily upgraded to compliant). 

• 4 weeks later...

Well today is day 31. A pretty successful and uneventful Whole30 for me. Only slip up was minor. I had bought some kombucha a while ago and didn't realize this one flavor had stevia in it until after I opened it. Other than that it was smooth sailing. I didn't weigh or measure...but my jeans are going on easy right out of the dryer and I've had multiple people tell me I look thinner. My plan is to mostly stay the course especially as I'll be in NH at the mercy of others and a wedding in a month. I'm going to go back to butter and experiment with my Whey protein again and allow for some offroading when I am out. No chips shall enter my home. No cheese shall enter my home. If I want a treat I'll have to make one (though I do have some ice cream left over from the summer that I might finish). 

My friend did great! She is undergoing treatment for an autoimmune disease so she purchased Sarah Ballantyne's books and is looking at doing an AIP round after she does her intros. The first week she absolutely decided she was going to have to give up coffee and is now drinking it black. She said this has definitely helped with her symptoms and her doctor is super pleases though concerned at her lack of dairy/calcium so of course I sent her the dairy manifesto and the calcium articles. ;)

I happened to run out of ghee today so back to butter right off the bat with my morning eggs. :D 

Archived