Physibeth's Post-W30 Log

Physibeth

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats on your W30!  Glad to hear your friend did well.

Dairy doesn't bother me, but I have surprised myself with my ability to drink coffee black - from a hardcore equal and skim milk girl.  I do sometimes have some cream, but it is no longer a requirement.

Congrats, Bethany! Any big takeaways from this W30 besides keeping the chips and cheese out of the house? I love how each one I do comes with less anxiety and sometimes deeper learning.

Not really. My recurring work in progress is of course vegetables. I kept things really simple this time around. I do want to get back into using my cookbooks more and doing a proper weekly cook up again. I've admittedly been spending way too much of my free time playing Destiny but I have some great friends that I'm playing with that makes it hard to reign it in. :D I've also picked up a couple of part time jobs. Just need to find some more balance in my time.

• 3 months later...

Just checking in here as it has been a while.

I'm starting the new year with the simple goal of being more purposeful with vegetables. Getting back to adding kale to my eggs in the morning and having something other than potatoes/sweet potatoes with my other meals. Been actually having a lot more salads lately. It's not enough yet, but it's a start in the right direction and already making me feel better. Finances are the current major stress in my life so I'm trying to get back to cooking simply at home and making the most of my food dollars. Things at the gym are still going really well. I need to find more time/space for foam rolling, stretching, etc. I'd really like my recurring pains to stop recurring. 

So good to see you!  Vegetables are the one thing I don't struggle with! LOL 

Bummer about recurring pains!  That's not good.  I just bought a foam roller for the very first time.  I've never done it.  I think my back is kind of knotty from all of the back bends and twists I do in yoga so I thought maybe rolling it out would help.  I can't really afford weekly massages. :P

I go bi-weekly usually...if I were to roll more I'm sure I could go less which would be better for the budget. Luckily my friend is my massage therapist and she gives me a good deal.

I finally got my bedroom floor cleaned up yesterday so was able to do all my rolling and exercises last night. Felt good.

Parents are visiting this week so will be eating out more than usually, but my mom did a Whole30 before the holidays and is actually finally on board with the way I eat which is fantastic and will make things much easier while they are here. Yay! :)

I've been considering getting Les Mills OnDemand so I can do the 30 minute stretching version of BODYFLOW at home. I like the whole class but I need the opening/stretching parts more than the strength/core parts. I can get that from actually spending more time practicing my CXWORX classes. LOL!

I can't remember if this has been discussed here already, but do any of you lovely people know what causes my sleep to be so horrible in the 4-6 days leading up to my period? It doesn't seem to matter how early I go to bed or how tired I am I just toss and turn all night it seems. I wake up feeling horrible and stiff. I don't recall Whole30 clearing that up on any of the rounds I've done. Whenever I'm feeling like I sleep poorly for no reason I check my little tracking app and yup...within a week of the day. Grrr.

Hello!  Nice to see you in here.

Bringing more veggies into your life is almost always a positive in all ways.

I haven't noticed the sleep issues in regards to AF, but since AF is all about the hormones, I'm sure it has something to do with that.

Hope you get all those pains rolled out.  ;)

• 2 months later...

Hey folks! Checking in to let you all I'm still around just been super duper busy!

Things got so off the rails because I've been being very lose with my eating so I started another (4th?) Whole30 this past Wednesday. Today Day 6 I'm feeling much less fluffy again. I didn't realize just how much crap I'd been eating lately. My goal after my 30 days is to stay the course but loosen up to allow for a family trip to Orlando and planned eating out. I'm still going to try and stay as close to Whole30 as I can even when I'm out. Mostly I need the weekly meal prep to be a habit and most of my meals to be homemade again. I'm pretty determined to make some big steps forward in body composition as I'm going to be filming for feedback in BODYPUMP with the possibility of getting Elite status over the next 12 months. I know I feel and look better when I stick close to Whole30, but when I'm busy and stressed I too easily fall victim to the I wants. A bag of coconut oil chips here, a slice of real pizza there, a couple of cookies (there are cookies in my office every damn day). It adds up fast. No needs to be my standard answer to these things. 

• Moderators

Welcome back, Bethany! Sounds like a great plan! 

I restarted Thursday and am having a similar experience: after five days feeling much more like myself. Amazing.

It is a wonder I let myself stray so far. I KNOW I feel better, sleep better, perform better, when I eat this way the vast majority of the time. Really the only reason I don't is because of laziness in the kitchen. So we are forming the habit even if it kills me. ;)

Hi Bethany! Glad to see you're just starting up too. It'll help me clamber back on my horse. And I hear you on the laziness in the kitchen thing. I have 1.5 working hands right now and I need to figure out how to feed myself with minimal food prep. I don't think I can do sardines and sauerkraut three times a day. 

Hi Bethany! Glad to see you're just starting up too. It'll help me clamber back on my horse. And I hear you on the laziness in the kitchen thing. I have 1.5 working hands right now and I need to figure out how to feed myself with minimal food prep. I don't think I can do sardines and sauerkraut three times a day. 

Man I wish I could bring myself to try sardines. I've got a lot of them because we were feeding them to my cat Cleo but she passed in October and now I have all these cans of sardines and anchovies. 

Keep it simple. You've got this. Easy meats in crock pots or pans and simple veggies. Just start.

I taught the new BODYPUMP release last night with another instructor. Man is it a beast. Man is my butt sore today. 3 hours until I teach the new CXWORX release again. I should probably get reviewing as when I taught it Saturday I made quite a few mistakes.

I made the plantain nachos from WF2 last night. OMG those are amazeballs! Best taco meat recipe I've tried so far. She doesn't specify how big of plantains to use and mine were small...only filled one baking sheet...and I ate them all. Nom nom nom nom nom! I need to go buy more plantains now. Maybe I'll only make one at a time next time.

Post workout is still where I'm really struggling. I know we tell everyone cold chicken and sweet potato but I just can't even. I've tried and I usually end up doing it once and then tossing a bunch of expensive food.

• Moderators

Post workout is still where I'm really struggling. I know we tell everyone cold chicken and sweet potato but I just can't even. I've tried and I usually end up doing it once and then tossing a bunch of expensive food.

Since I set aside whey post wo I've just been eating a hard-boiled egg. I'm just not being as fussy about the yolk. It's working fine for me.

I won't tell you the other things I sometimes eat post wo because I know you won't even. ;)

• Moderators

I hope those Les Mills folks weren't mean to you in the assessment you mentioned (on Beets' log, maybe). As much as I appreciated those classes--and teaching them--I often felt that not having a super-lean physique made me something of an outsider in the organization. And I get that they want their instructors to be the ideal, to inspire gym members into believing they can achieve what that person on the stage represents, but I often felt most inspired by instructors who were excellent at teaching, kept showing up, and represented all different kinds of bodies.

Anyway, you're awesome, and I hope they mentioned that in your assessment, too!! :wub:

No not at all! In fact the trainer that gave me my feedback at AIM2 was also my boss which was a bit weird but also comfortable. All of my feedback was high in praise and they just encouraged me to keep working on my fitness to be more of a roll model. That is my goal anyway. I know my members find me inspiring because I work hard and am not a size zero. But if I'm coaching and preaching personal improvement than I should be living that too. Not to toot my own horn but I'm an excellent teacher. I have very good form and my coaching is clear and understandable. If I can combine that with consistently upping my game I feel like I can be an even better coach.

I went into the weekend fully expecting fitness feedback too.

Today is Day 13 of my Whole30. Doing pretty well I think. Did another big cookup yesterday. Stuck with mostly the same foods as last week because I enjoyed them and it was easy.

Some observations: my clothes are definitely fitting better, I think my sweat is less smelly (something I've not noticed before but really am noticing this time around), my mood has been pretty stable, I started off sleeping much better but the past few days I'm waking up in the middle of the night and having trouble falling asleep again which leaves me feeling tired all day, Saturday I was very shaky when I went to teach and was having trouble forming words that I think was because of the sleep thing and then in the evening I was very very warm and went to bed early, I'm pretty sure I'm not drinking enough water - I feel very very dry today.

Another busy week ahead as we continue with launch at the gym. I did manage to really clean my kitchen after food prep last night (well not the floors, but I woke up to sparkling counters) and I'm hoping to keep it clean this week. 

Archived