When will I start to sleep better? And see more energy?!! Help!

Hi Everyone - I am on day 6 of my Whole30, and before I start b!tching I would like to say that I love the way food is tasting better, my face is brighter, and how much more focused I am!!   

HOWEVER - I am NOT sleeping well at all!!  Is this part of the first week?  I have always had issues sleeping and I am waking up consistently every night!  Even with taking sleeping pills!  Normally they put me to sleep but now that is not even working!!

My ENERGY is pretty bad - it seems to be ok noon-6, but then nothing!!!  All part of the process?  Candida overgrowth getting out of my system?  (Am convinced I am/was addicted to carbs and low fat food - and terrible sweet tooth)....

Oh and can I mention how FULL I get now on what I would recently consider a small amount of food!  :)

Here is what a typical day is

B = Black coffee, hard boiled egg, green salad with avocado and carrotts.  Few Strawberries or apple.

L = Grilled Salmon, Asparagus, green salad with avocado.

D = Grilled Chicken Breast, Green salad with tomato, green peppers, avocado and carrotts, grilled green beans, and handful of melon.

Drinking 100 oz + of water

Any advice/experience/help appreciated!!!  :)

Thanks!

You need more protein at breakfast.  Egg servings are the number of eggs you can hold in one hand.  I'm guessing you can hold at least two?

Are your salmon and chicken servings 1-2 palm sizes?  If they're on the lesser side, try increasing a bit.

Are you getting sufficient healthy fats at lunch?

Are you stopping eating 2-3 hours before bedtime?

And ... you're only on day 6.  :) Per the Whole30 timeline, it's not typically until days 8-15 until you start feeling more energy. http://whole9life.com/2012/06/the-whole30-timeline/

Thanks!  Yes I could fit 2 eggs in one hand!  Yes - Salmon and Chicken is 1-2 palm sizes.  Prob eating half an avocado daily - is that too much?  No I am not always stopping eating 2-3 hours b4 bed - good idea!!  Gonna get a swim in tonight on the lake too after dinner - hopefully that will help - i have not been exercising consistently since starting - just so tired...

Thanks!!! :D

• Moderators

Being tired the first two weeks is kind of normal. You might want to add a starchy carb like sweet potato to see if that helps with your sleep. I find that I sleep better when I eat sweet potatoes several times per week. I don't know why.

Great observations/suggestions above.

It was into my second W30 that I really noticed an improvement in my sleeping, although I started waking up actually feeling awake near the end of my first W30.  But I have/had several pre-existing chronic medical conditions, so I knew it could take longer for me.  I think it's an individual thing, really, but it will come!

I too was taking over the counter sleep aids. I stopped cold turkey on 5/28 and started eating cleaner at the same time. It took a little over a week to start sleeping better and now I am sleeping great! I started on my w30 on 7/5 and it just keeps getting better! Keep the faith girlfriend!

Archived