Exercise

I read ISWF and I don't remember exercise really being addressed. From what I'm saying, a lot of Paleo peeps are in to crossfit. I'd like to try it, but am super committed to hot yoga, Kettlebells, and boxing. I also enjoy walking my dogs. Any insight on how much and styles that people have found effective with this lifestyle? Just curious. I would like to see changes in my body composition and just wanted to see what people out there do aside from crossfit. :) not knocking it, seems really cool. Just can't afford it now. :)

• Moderators

I made kettlebells my main training focus in January of this year and effectively quit CrossFit after participating for 3 years. I did not plan to quit completely, but found I did not have anything left for CrossFit after I really got into kettlebell training.

My kettlebell trainer advised me to take yoga once per week to help with my flexibility issues. I liked my first yoga class so much, I have been going three times per week and think I will keep it up. Kettlebells and yoga are a great combination.

I am following a strict 12-week kettlebell program currently that prevents me from adding other workouts, but when I am free-styling, I use a suspension trainer (Jungle-Gym XT), sprint, and work on body-weight exercises with directions from the book Convict Conditioning in addition to kettlebell work.

I've gained almost 10 pounds since beginning to train with kettlebells, but the weight is in bigger arms, shoulders, and lats, so I'm happy.

CF is both out of my price range and too far away. I've read that many people keep to exercising more reliably if it's convenient, so I (rank beginner) do dumbbells and body weight at home. I also walk a bit, and if the weather is too hot I have cheap access to treadmills 1 1/2 miles away.

For me, the best exercise is the exercise I'll do.

Sprints...if you did them once a week if would have a tremendous stimulus effect.

Change it up each week by distance, intensity, and volume. 50yd, 100yd, 400yd....sets of 4 to 10 with as much rest as needed in between. Add some more variety by running up hills.

Mark Sisson is a huge supporter of sprint work and has written numerous articles on it.

CrossFit is super intriguing but SO expensive! If you like what you are doing, then keep it up! Most local CF gyms post their daily WODs on their website, and you can take them into your own realm :)

I love the advice on sprints! I am going to try to incorporate them into my workouts weekly.

• 2 weeks later...

I walk every morning, do bodyweight exercises (basically, one muscle group per day, with days off as needed) and go to Zumba class a couple of times a week. Oh, and I teach and take belly dance classes.

Re: sprinting, I kind of hate to just sprint on the street. The point is that you're going all out on something at intervals, right? So if I were to (as my Zumba instructors advise us) pick three songs out of the class and do those "high"/at my maximum but keep the rest more moderate, is that going to be interval-ish enough to give me some benefit? Or do I have to sprint? I don't even like to jog, people, but I will drop it low like a J-Lo backup dancer any day.

Do what you enjoy and stick with it until something else comes along to strike your fancy. Being consistently active is much more important than a specific protocol. Crossfit can work well, but let your goals and interests drive your training. I've been focusing on body weight strength (calisthenics, gymnastics), mobility work and the odd run and sprint day for quite a while with very good results. Lately I've been adding heavy squats and deadlifts back to the routine at the expense of much of the running...

Archived