Meal Ideas After Surgery

Jinkse21

On Aug. 2nd, I will be having surgery to replace my left knee so I will be out of commission for at least a week so I am looking for ideas of meals that I can make and freeze ahead of time, especially with lots of veggies since I won't be making it to the store and can't cook them on a daily basis.

I plan on making the following:

Bone Broth

Paleo Bolognese

Spaghetti Squash

Hard-Boiled Eggs

I guess I am looking for things I can freeze in batches for 2-3 meals.

Any ideas are much appreciated!  :)

How about Johnny's meatballs and Choco chili?  I also adapt a rutabaga chili recipe from Tom's site and freeze it.

Chicken and any veggies you want (zoodles, carrot, celery, jicama) go well in bone broth as a soup. and could freeze.

Stews freeze well.  My most recent had celery root, carrot, parsnip, and sweet potato.

I hope the surgery and recovery both go well!

Any kind od mash would freeze well.

I think most roasted veggies would freeze well, too.

I think there is a Paleo OAMC site, too.

I've made balsamic roasted veggies (broc, cauli, onion, mushrooms, capsicum, zucchini, eggplant, garlic cloves, Brussels sprouts, beetroot etc) and frozen them - they defrost ok! Also pieces of roasted sweet potato and pumpkin.

Frittata also freezes ok and a great way to incorporate your veggies and protein. Stews or curries with lots of veggies, ratatouille etc.

• 2 weeks later...

I am having reconstructive foot surgery tomorrow. I'll be non-weight bearing for six weeks and a total of 3 months with limited mobility. I began freezing meals last month because I didn't want food to be an issue during my recovery. Although I'm now off the Whole 30, all the meals are Paleo with several remaining Whole 30 compliant. Here's what I froze:

Paleo Choco Chili (Well Fed)

Spicy Coconut Chicken Curry

Spaghetti Meat Sauce (adapted from Paleo Slow Cooking) (froze the spaghetti squash separately)

Jambalaya

Gumbo

Cauliflower Rice

Baharat Beef Stew

Filipino Chicken Adobo

Manhattan Clam Chowder (Paleo Slow Cooking)

Crockpot Whole Chicken & Gravy (Nom Nom Paleo)

Turkey & Chicken Meatloaf (adapted from Everyday Paleo)

So there's more ideas for you. 

Good luck with your surgery and recovery  :)

EchoDelta, your meals sound delish!  I'm going to make a Paleo Bolognese tonight and freeze half of it.  I am off this weekend so I will probably be a cooking fool!  You were way better at being prepared than me!  :D

Luckily, knee replacement recovery is not as bad as foot surgery.  I'll be walking around the next day...well, for about 5 minutes! 

Good luck with your surgery tomorrow and wishing you a quick recovery!!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived