Lisa says: my life is, in fact, changing.

lisa

It's the morning of Day 3 and-- you guys, I can't even explain to you how happy and relieved I feel right now. Seriously, this is astounding. I'm so grateful.

Maybe another time I'll write about my struggles with anxiety about food and nutrition and health. As those situations go, it's complicated and it doesn't feel good to talk about. I'm just starting to understand how long I've struggled (which seems like a mild way to put it) with food + body image + ultimately with my health.

Saturday: I stumbled across this site + read + researched + contemplated starting the Whole 30.

Sunday: I got nervous, excited, nervous again. I mentioned it to my husband + then committed to the plan.

Monday / Day 1:

- eggs, berries, tuna, avocado, green beans, apples ,sunflower seed butter, chicken breast, garlic asparagus, almonds.

- I made it through without much trouble, despite realizing anew that sugar or wheat or soy is in everything-- even my go-to healthy alternatives. I found new, clean alternatives.

Tuesday / Day 2:

- banana, almond milk*, berries, tuna, avocado, carrots, almonds, apple, eggs with mushrooms and broccoli and garlic

- *pretty sure that the almond milk I have might include something I want to be cutting out through this plan. Could anyone confirm? (Ingredients: All Natural Almondmilk (filtered water, almonds), All Natural Evaporated Cane Juice, Calcium Carbonate, Sea Salt, Locust Bean Gum, Sunflower Lecithin, Gellan Gum, d-alpha-Tocopherol (natural vitamin E), Zinc Gluconate, Vitamin A Palmitate, Riboflavin (B2), Vitamin B12, Vitamin D2.)

- Feeling pretty great: no persistent stomach ache, no anxiety about food because what's not great about my menu right now, no cravings for dark chocolate (miracle of miracles!).

Wednesday / Day 3:

- banana, berries, almonds, egg scramble leftovers from last night ... to be continued...

- I woke up feeling so good. Really, I can't remember feeling this good and happy and content in a long time. I felt refreshed, my stomach doesn't hurt, and I'm not worried/ashamed about food.

I expected to learn from this month, but I didn't expect such an incredible transformation in just a few days. I'm taking care of myself, you all. We're taking care of ourselves.

This probably already makes sense to many/most of you on this forum, but I just wanted to put this in writing from my own experience. I feel completely different just 48 hours in -- and not in an overzealous, fanatical way. I'm calm and happy and feeling good -- and this is a huge gift.

I'm grateful for this plan, the great information on this site, and the people who've shared their experiences. Quite honestly, I thought you were a little on the nutty side! But I'm feeling this, too. Feeling this great is not out of reach anymore.

Coconut milk in smoothies is amazing! You are sounding so upbeat...great! I've had a few headaches and feeling a bit lethargic but hoping it will all be behind me soon...greatest part of all of this is that my stomach isn't so bloated at the end of each day, feeling light and pretty darn good.

@HealthyinOK -- thanks for that tip! I really love projects like that, so maybe I'll check out making my own almond milk this weekend. Tried coconut milk today and it has it's own merits :)

@JessR -- So nice to hear you're also feeling generally good. Goodbye, bloat!

@SarahFancy -- congratulations to you, too! :) We're doing this.

Here's a brief update for how things are going and what I'm learning:

Wednesday Apr 11 / Day 3

- (as above: - banana, berries, almonds, egg scramble leftovers), fish, avocado, lots and lots of salad greens + carrots, apple, sunflower seed butter

Thursday April 12 / Day 4

- coffee with coconut milk*, apple, sunflower seed butter, eggs, green beans, avocado, carrots, almonds, sweet potato, broccoli, pan-cooked steak

- Swapped in coconut milk for the almond milk that I had the day before. (Thanks again for the tip!) I'd never had it before, but it's a pretty good alternative.

- Looking forward to subbing in some new foods after I go shopping this weekend.

My husband and some of my friends are intrigued by how great my meals look + how good I'm feeling. I have a feeling I'm going to have some folks joining me soon.

Also, I recently posted on another part of the forum about my upcoming trip to Las Vegas, curious about how I was going to make it through. Here's a link to that discussion, if you want to read through the tips >>

Well, I'm starting my Whole 30 afresh. I went to Vegas + boy do I feel crappy!

Had a great time with my friends, but I had alcohol, sugar, wheat and dairy --- mostly in moderation! -- and it through me for a loop. Within hours, I was feeling pretty terrible and I hardly slept at all that first night after some pasta + cocktails. I was WIRED and not in a good way.

So, that was an interesting way to learn about quickly my body reacts to those sorts of foods. I used to think that sugar didn't affect me very much and now I know that this is completely not the case. :)

I'm starting again, with a full 30 days ahead of me where I'm looking forward to getting back to feeling better. This has given me some important insight on what I don't want to do on day 31.

Archived