Is skipping pre/post WO snacks affecting my performance?

loubee

I'm on my second W30 and train 4 days a week in my lunch hour at work.  During my first W30 a few months ago I started with the pre/post WO snacks but just felt like I was eating all the time and it was a hassle so stopped.  The problem is I've taking my training up a gear - now started to train with heavy weights doing Olympic lifts with the aim of increasing strength and dropping body fat - and am not seeing the results that I want.  I'm wondering if skipping the snacks is contributing to this? 

My schedule on a workout day looks like this with all meals following the template:

6-6.30am -   Meal 1

9.30am - coffee with coconut milk

12 noon - train for 1 hour

1.30pm Meal 2

8pm Meal 3

I don't snack as a big pre-W30 problem for me was constant grazing so I don't eat at all between meals. 

I'd really appreciate a bit of info into how the snacks ,and what they consist of, contributes to perfomance as I think this would help to persuade me that eating that can of tuna in the changing room would be worth it.  Thanks!

You shouldn't be afraid of eating to lose fat! You also need fuel to help recovery and build muscle mass....

The preWO recommended by the whole 30 should be fat/ protein (hb egg...chicken with mayo/avo, maybe oily fish.... Whatever you like that fits!) and postWO should be starchy carbs and lean protein with little to no fat.

• Moderators

I found that I recovered from heavy workouts faster when I started eating a post-workout meal, even when I ate lunch an hour after working out anyway. Maybe you could eat some post-workout protein and eat meal 2 30-60 minutes later and see how you feel for a week.

• Moderators

First thing I notice - the long time period between your workout and your next meal. Re-fueling after a good workout should happen as soon as possible. Within 20-30 minutes -- your body can restock itself 2 to 3 times faster than if you wait longer (Loren Cordain, The Paleo Diet for Athletes). Post Workout, you want to take in some protein and some high carb veggies like sweet potatoes.

Hope this helps!

Archived