Kelley's Whole 30 Log

knsoper

I started moving to the Paleo diet about 2 months ago. I had cut out grains and legumes, but was still having the occasional dairy (cheese and butter), and "paleo" sugar (honey, maple syrup). I was excited to start the Whole 30, and thought it wouldn't be too difficult. But I'm closing out day 2, and am now realizing just how bad my sugar addiction is! I just read the great 2010 Cocoa debate, and even though cocoa powder is approved, I think it's best to steer clear from it for some time!

So to ensure I stay on track, here's my log:

Day 2

Breakfast (8:00am)

-1.5 eggs with chicken, and mushrooms cooked in ghee

-arugula and bean sprout salad

-half fuji apple

Snack/Post workout (10:30am)

-beef jerky

Lunch (1:30pm)

-hard boiled egg, carrot sticks, lemon cucumber, cherries

Snack (3:30pm)

-almonds

Dinner (8:15pm)

-chicken, broccoli, strawberries w/ coconut manna

-green tea with magnesium citrate

I think I may need to cut back on my fruits, and add more protein and veggies.

Well your breakfast looks good, but then lunch looks to be lacking. 1 hardboiled egg is not enough protein and you had zero fat. If you have eggs, try to have as many as you can hold in your hand. For me that is about 4 maybe 5 if I am really hungry. Don't forget the fat.

Looking at your log, I am less concerned with the fruit than I am the lack of protein and fat. Remember, protein, fat, veggies at every meal. Even snacks. Snacks are just mini meals.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the tips, Carie. I'm so used to eating small portions that I find it hard to eat more at any one time. I did try to focus on eating more protein and fats today first, and then eat the veggies and the fruits.

Here's day 3:

Breakfast (7:30):

-1 egg fried in ghee

-chicken mixed with onions, garlic, zucchini

-cherries

-water

Snack (10:00):

-beef jerky

-almonds with raisins

-homemade kombucha with a tiny splash of juice

Lunch (12:00):

-white fish, cooked in coconut oil

-broccoli and cauliflower

-salad with guacamole dressing

-grapes

Snack (2:00):

-apple

-water

Dinner (5:00):

-ground beef mixed with zucchini, onions, and garlic

-broccoli and cauliflower, drizzled with olive oil

-cherries

-water

Before bed:

-ginger flavored homemade water kefir with the magnesium citrate supplement

I'm still craving something sugary, but I've felt much fuller for longer periods of time today.

Day 4:

Breakfast (7:30)

-Egg and chicken scramble with onions, garlic, and zucchini

-cherries

-water

Snack (11:00)

-Nut and seed mix-

-Water kefir/water mix

Lunch (12:00)

-Ground beef with zucchini and broccoli

-Veggie and fruit smoothie, with coconut oil

Snack (3:00)

-SO, my husband and I caved and bought 85% dark chocolate from Trader Joe's today. I had a very tiny piece, savoring it. It was good, but I didn't get the usual emotional high from it. AND about 30 minutes later, I got a massive headache (as did my husband). So we threw the rest away. I'm not happy that I caved, but it did show me that it's just not that satisfying anymore.

Dinner (6:00)

-Chicken

-Cauliflower "rice," cooked in ghee and then chicken broth

-green salad with tomatoes, red onion, seeds, and a homemade oil and vinegar dressing

-a few blueberries

-Water

Before Bed:

-Half water/half water kefir with magnesium citrate supplement....not seeing the benefits of this yet, so I bumped up the dosage to 1.5 tsps.

Day 5:

I feel like I've gotten over my craving for sugary things. I also have noticed that fruits are tasting sweeter, and veggies are tasting so much more flavorful. I don't know if it's from the "cleanse" or because I've been eating in season foods from a local farm, but I like it!

So here's my food:

Breakfast

-1.5 fried eggs in coconut oil

-Zucchini, onions, cauliflower, cooked in Ghee and Chicken Stock

-Banana

Lunch

-Beef Jerky

-Almonds

-Carrots

-Orange Bell Pepper strips

-a few cherries

Snack

-Nut combo with raisins

-Banana

Dinner

-1 Applegate Organic Hot Dog

-Large salad with tomatoes, cucumbers, red onions, pimientos, and homemade olive oil and vinegar dressing

-2 miniature plums

PreBed:

-water/water kefir mix with magnesium citrate supplement (1.5 tsp)

I feel like I've gotten over my craving for sugary things. I also have noticed that fruits are tasting sweeter, and veggies are tasting so much more flavorful. I don't know if it's from the "cleanse" or because I've been eating in season foods from a local farm, but I like it!

I also found that fruits and veggies now have so much more flavor to me! Love it!

Day 6:

I forgot to log, but it is similar to other days. The only issue is that we were low on easy vegetables that didn't need to be cooked, so I was sorely lacking in vegetables on Friday.

Day 7:

Bought a lot of easy veggies today so I can consume more.

Breakfast

-2 Eggs

-Bacon

-Fruit

-Coffee with almond milk and cinnamon

Snack

-Plum

Lunch

-Steak

-Grilled Vegetables: squash, eggplant, onions, and garlic

Snack

-Almonds and Pepitas

Dinner

-2 fillets of chicken breast, fried in coconut oil with an almond flour/coconut breading

-Broccoli with homemade olive oil mayo

-Zucchini fried in coconut oil

-Peach

Pre Bed:

-Cherries

-Magnesium Citrate Supplement in Water/Water Kefir mix.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't been logging my foods, but I was doing well...until this past Monday. I attended a kids event, and I had really been craving something sugary for a few days. So when they passed out ice creams to all the kids, I caved and shared one with my son. It was one of those drumstick ice cream cones. It tasted so good. BUT the morning, I woke up with the BIGGEST headache. It was awful, and I know it was from the ice cream cone. I shouldn't have done it. I paid for it dearly. The headache lasted most of the day. And now I ruined my 30 days. But I do feel like I gained a lot from the 15 days I made it. I realized that my addiction to sugar is worse than I thought!! And since I had been doing Paleo for two months prior, not having grains or refined sugar in all that time, my body was able to cleanse itself enough that the one ice cream cone just ruined my body!

I will attempt the 30 day challenge again, but this time I think I'm going to wait until I am done traveling and attending events for the summer. I think it will be easier to follow it when I am in my own home for the 30 days, and with no outside distractions.

Archived