July 15th Start Date: support and accountability a must

CarrieTS

Hi everyone! I'm starting today as well. I love that we've got this great team starting mid-month -- I was nervous I'd be on my own! I'm so inspired by your stories and am so happy we'll be able to support each other along the way. Good luck and big hugs all around  :)

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello everyone! 

I am so excited yet very nervous about starting this challenge today with you all! Can't wait to keep in touch with you guys along the journey. Cheers to a challenging, life-changing 30 days! We got this!

Have a great day 1,

Mandy :)

Hi Guys,

I will also be starting today. I did 3 weeks of whole 30 before only to find out that some of the food I was eating had hidden non - compliant ingredients. After a little bit of off roading (sweets and alcohol) this weekend I am ready to start fresh.

Starting today as well and am excited that my husband is doing it with me. I aleady have a headache but I'm not surprised given all the crap I put in my body last week while on vacation. I've totally let myself slide since DECEMBER!! So excited to begin this phase and do something completely different in cross fit. I will be 40 in 3 months and want to be in a better place than I am now! Where is a good place to find salad dressing recipes? That's the only issue I have right now - all of my dressing have sugar in them! 

Starting today as well and am excited that my husband is doing it with me. I aleady have a headache but I'm not surprised given all the crap I put in my body last week while on vacation. I've totally let myself slide since DECEMBER!! So excited to begin this phase and do something completely different in cross fit. I will be 40 in 3 months and want to be in a better place than I am now! Where is a good place to find salad dressing recipes? That's the only issue I have right now - all of my dressing have sugar in them! 

I don't usually make dressings, but I know there are some great avocado dressings out there on the web.  Try this forum under recipes or PaleoOMG has an avocado cream sauce.  I typically just use a vinegar of choice, olive oil and what ever seasonings I feel like.  I also really like using a balsamic glaze.  You can buy this, just make sure it does not have added sugar, or you can make it (just takes some time and patience.)  Here is another website: http://paleodietlifestyle.com/salad-dressing-and-vinaigrettes/  He uses Dijon mustard in many of them so you need to make sure it is compliant of substitute. 

This is Day 1 for me, too!  How's it going for everyone?

So far, I'm doing okay.  I need to work on meal planning and getting more sleep, though.  I stayed up late last night cooking and looking at recipes instead of sleeping...oops.

Does anyone have any good snack ideas?  I know they prefer that we don't snack; but, until I get the food ratio down pat, I want to always have something with me so I don't go hungry.  I exercise pretty hard on some days, and I want to be sure I have the proper fuel.  I used to just bring baby carrots, an apple, some almonds, etc. as a snack, but it sounds like it's better to almost make it a mini-meal if you're really going to do it.  Thoughts?

Excited to share this journey with everyone! :)

Hi!  I also started the Whole30 today along with my sister-in-law ... so far so good today food-wise!  I have not yet finished reading It Starts With Food, but what I have read so far has given me great motivation to be able to successfully complete the 30 days and transition into a different way of life.  The only challenge I've faced today are those darn "frenemies" at work ... I really need to go back and read that blog post here!  People are actually arguing with me about my choice to change my life ... really unbelievable!  I am grateful for the support of my husband, sister-in-law and the members of this forum ... I'm sure with so many positive people on my side I will be successful!  Good luck to all in achieving your goals! :)

"Frenemies" are evil! -_-  Well, not completely evil, but in this situation they are.  I am even a 'frenemy' to my husband on occasion because he is one of those individuals who trains 12-15 hrs per week and can look at food as strictly fuel 90% of the time.  I on the other hand, LOVE FOOD!  I love cooking it, I love looking at it, I love eating it.  So there are times that I have been jealous of his ability to turn away from food, thus enters the "frenemy" or should it be "wife-emy"? 

I try to surround myself with friends who place their health and fitness as one of their top priorities.  My extended family does not take care of their health, which can cause issues when I am around them and I find myself slipping back into old behaviors.  Good thing they are all 3.5-5 hours away.  :rolleyes:  j/k. 

Another motivation....

When you put on your old "baggy" jeans that were at least a little loose last week and today they are snug. 

This afternoon I really wanted to reach into the fridge and finish the leftover rice farina I made my girls yesterday.  SOOOO glad I didn't.

I'm not sure where everyone on here lives but....HOORAY 😛 we have almost made it through day one! Other than a slight headache, I feel pretty confident about my day. I took a nice walk in the morning to distract myself from wanting my morning coffee (which is nothing more than cappuccino and hot chocolate....no good).

My husband decided to join me with the Whole30 challenge and he's ending his day with a migraine.

How has everyone else made out today? What were some of your major struggles and how did you over come them on the first day? I would love to hear some feedback!

I am surprised at how hard it was today for day 1.  Definitely tempted to stop by the drive-through when out today.  But I resisted.   I have a bit of a headache and lots of acid reflux (avoiding those non-compliant tums), but otherwise, it is going well.  It's great that so many people started today.  It's very encouraging to know I'm not alone.

I just started today as well. I read the book in February and was intrigued by the whole concept. I have been eating a lot of the foods for the last month but haven't been able (or wanted) to give up the sweets. I did okay but did get the sugar craving really bad after dinner. I ate fruit which I realized after I looked through ISWF that I probably shouldn't have done that. :0(

This is Day 1 for me, too! How's it going for everyone?

So far, I'm doing okay. I need to work on meal planning and getting more sleep, though. I stayed up late last night cooking and looking at recipes instead of sleeping...oops.

Does anyone have any good snack ideas? I know they prefer that we don't snack; but, until I get the food ratio down pat, I want to always have something with me so I don't go hungry. I exercise pretty hard on some days, and I want to be sure I have the proper fuel. I used to just bring baby carrots, an apple, some almonds, etc. as a snack, but it sounds like it's better to almost make it a mini-meal if you're really going to do it. Thoughts?

Excited to share this journey with everyone! :)

I started my first whole 30 with my husband last week - we have been used to 5-7 meals a day for years. I found that overestimating portions helped in the first couple of days, if you're unable to finish you meal you have leftovers for a mini-meal (protein, fat, vegies) instead of needing to grab vegies, fruit, nuts eye which aren't recommended. We haven't Snacked once!

If you're training, you need the post and pre WO meals on top of normal meals - you won't go hungry if you follow the template properly :)

I'm starting today, but count me in, too! This whole30 plan is new to me, so I'm going to need all the support I can get. :unsure:  :)

Yesterday was my planning day, so I looked for ideas in the forums and found Tom's 400 whole30-recipies at his Whole Life Eating blog. I hope he doesn't mind me sharing these with you... :P

Starting today!  We attempted a Whole30 in February but the whole family got a stomach bug so things kind of got derailed.  I tried to push through it but that backfired because I then associated piles of vegetables with my nauseous feelings.  We still were doing better as far as diet goes but then a dear friend of ours died in a plane crash in Afghanistan and our diet took a nosedive.  

I'll be doing the Whole30 with my husband.  We also have 3 kids who most likely will have no choice but to do it too but they will be allowed cheats occasionally.  Our youngest is an exclusively breast-fed 7 month old baby who has not yet taken to solids.  The first time around he was about 4 months and I did notice a dip in my supply.  I don't know if it was a growth spurt, not eating enough, early signs of the inevitable stomach bug or what that caused it but it did go back to normal once I started eating carbs again.  I will keep that in mind if I notice a dip again and will add in more sweet potato, etc to compensate.  Any other nursing mothers starting this week???  

We live in Germany but do not speak German.  This has made finding local grass fed meat an issue for me.  The base commissary does occasionally have some frozen grass fed ground meat which is nice.  I did just find a local grocery store that I like that has a good organic produce section and it had some organic ground chicken today.  I also bought some beef from the meat counter but the attendant didn't speak any english so I could not ask the origins.  I am getting a little hungry now I think I may go snack on some apples and almond butter (the one perk of nursing on the whole30 is that I am allowed to snack, yay!)  

Day 2! Day 1 went well although I ended the day with a headache, which I see others did too. I am feeling good about today and am glad I don't have as much cooking to do. Happy that there are others out there doing this too, as I do not have much support at home and have been ridiculed for what I'm doing. I just don't listen. I am finally doing something good for me and I'm going to indulge in it and be selfish :)

I am SOOO ecstatic that there are so many of us going this together. I am figuratively jumping up and down in my seat.

Yesterday had a couple of challenges. I had a mid afternoon sugar craving, but worked out instead of caving. The biggest challenge is that I went to a concert that is part of our county fair. Thus, I knew I would be surrounded by fried chicken, funnel cakes and corn dogs. Oh, and don't forget, beer!! I took a bag of nuts with me because it was easy to transport. It was really easy to stick to the diet, partially because my friend supports my diet. BUT, when I got home, I was starving, and my husband was eating. I managed to avoid the food and head straight to bed. This morning I'm off to a great start, finished a 5 mile run and I'm now eating breakfast

Best of luck to day 2 (or which ever day you are on). You SOOOO totally have this. If you are having a moment of weakness try and reach out to your support system. Kick your sugar dragon's butt today! Woot woot! (Was that a little too much? I was trying to connect with my inner cheerleader)

@roseyloxs there is a thread for breast feeding moms that may be helpful to you. I wouldn't be too concerned about whether you are getting enough "carbs," but instead ensuring you are getting enough kcal and fluids. That is the beauty of W30, with out even trying or "dieting" we are typically decreasing kcal, which is why they recommend having the snacks when nursing. Just mix up your snack or mini meal options.

My Day 1 (yesterday) also ended with a headache, but I stayed on course - it was actually a lot easier than I thought.  I wasn't craving anything in particular, however I did catch myself many times going to pick at this or that (apparently I did a lot of mindless eating previously) - fortunately I put myself in check.  I do have to come up with some other breakfast options because I am already sick of scrambled eggs and it's only Day 2!  I am going to be searching for more breakfast options online tonight.  Day 2 is going much better - no headache, no cravings, and I don't really feel overwhelmed by the extra work I am putting in planning meals, prepping, cooking, etc.  It's only Day 2 but I think I am starting to feel better already! :D

Today was worse than yesterday, by far!  Strong hunger and then a strong desire to eat lots of fruit or other carbohydrates.  Lunch at 11:30am was leftover vegetable/beef stew with 1/2 of an avocado on top, tomato/onion/cucumber/vinegar salad, blueberries sprinkled with coconut and pumpkin seeds, and a chicken breast.  At 4 pm the hunger hit real hard, but I managed to just eat some cabbage/mango salad.  Can't wait to eat dinner!!!  I think one reason it was harder today was because I was working from home, thus, easier access to food.

Archived