July 15th Start Date: support and accountability a must

CarrieTS

@Mandm, they say try not to snack because it reinforces a grazing mentality, but when you're just starting, it's okay to snack if you're ravenous. It's better to have a combination of protein, carbs and fat.  Maybe nuts and olives, or devilled eggs and carrot sticks.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My Day 1 (yesterday) also ended with a headache, but I stayed on course - it was actually a lot easier than I thought.  I wasn't craving anything in particular, however I did catch myself many times going to pick at this or that (apparently I did a lot of mindless eating previously) - fortunately I put myself in check. 

awaeschle, your day was exactly the same as my Day 1! Headaches are probably due to lack of coffee - I just can't drink my coffee without sweeteners and milk / cream, so I drink green tea instead of coffee. But this habit of picking a few nuts here and a few berries or peas there... I honestly did not notice I am constantly doing so! :o

Anyway, successful Day 1 for me. :)  Day 2 starting with modified chili con carne for breakfast! :P (no beans, no rice... but lots of chili and carne). So nice that you all are here sharing your feelings! :)

Day 2 and I did pretty well..... Question: why can we not have any snacks? My husband is complaining.... ;)

Have you signed up to the whole 30 daily? I found that absolutely invaluable during my first whole 30 - every day I would be feeling something, I'd check my emails and see it was completely normal to feel that way! Is your husband eating enough at mealtimes? Once I got the right amount of protein and fat then I found I could easily go from meal to meal. On about day 4 or 5 I think it was I got the daily email, and the subject was the difference between cravings and hunger - if you imagine a plate of steamed broccoli and fish and you could eat it then you are hungry so go and eat! Maybe get your husband to do this? If he needs to snack try making up a mini meal that includes some proteins and some fats? I have a snack most days around 4 as I have breakfast at 5am and lunch at 12, the kids get home from school and I'm always ravenous then (I'm breastfeeding too) so I make up a small meal of maybe some leftover chicken, olives, raw veg sticks, or an apple with almond butter and that sees me through until my next meal.

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sarahramsden.com%2Fwhole-food-snacks%2F&h=BAQGg5P3d&s=1

Not sure if the above link will work? But it was from the whole30 Canada Facebook page, they had an article last week on snacks - maybe your husband can have one of those if he is truly hungry :)

Welp, day 3 and feeling fine. I think because last week I was doing a cyclic ketogenic diet the transition has been pretty smooth, the cleanups to my diet were trivial e.g. I was eating canned pilchards in tomato sauce, changed that to tuna in brine since the tomato sauce has sugar added :rolleyes: .
However... I'm trying not to add up the (lack of) daily calories... I'm fairly sure I'm below recommended minimums but as long as I can keep pedaling I'm happy (I ride to work every day, not a great distance but there's a big hill between home and work so about 120m of climbing each way).
Even on my old diet (lentils and brown rice every weekday as main energy source), by Thu/Fri my legs would start feeling heavy so if my rides for the rest of the week aren't so strong it's okay.

Don't know if it also helps that I do intermittent fasting through the week. I started eating this way years ago so it's with interest I see recently it's become kinda popular, even got the fancy name. I usually eat between 6-7 each night and that's it, but this week I've started having a few tsps of coconut oil before I leave for work. I think I should throw some nuts in too at that time. My only concern here is adequate protein so I don't lose strength.

For what it's worth, I can feel midsection fat is coming off nicely. I must admit fat loss is part of my interest in this program, since the tight dietary cleanup can only help with that. I gave myself a deadline last month - by beginning of August I want to see abs. I've been slowly trimming down since the beginning of the year but I'd like to see goals already.

Hints of ab are showing now, guess I can't blame them for being shy since they've never seen the world ;) I have no idea what I weigh at the moment, last time I weighed myself was probably Jan. It doesn't tell me anything useful really, since I do a bodyweight routine I'm slowly gaining muscle and as muscle tissue is more dense than fat I might even weigh a few grams more than I did earlier this year. It's all about composition not numbers eh.

Strength to everyone!

Welp, day 3 and feeling fine. I think because last week I was doing a cyclic ketogenic diet the transition has been pretty smooth, the cleanups to my diet were trivial e.g. I was eating canned pilchards in tomato sauce, changed that to tuna in brine since the tomato sauce has sugar added :rolleyes: .

However... I'm trying not to add up the (lack of) daily calories... I'm fairly sure I'm below recommended minimums but as long as I can keep pedaling I'm happy (I ride to work every day, not a great distance but there's a big hill between home and work so about 120m of climbing each way).

Even on my old diet (lentils and brown rice every weekday as main energy source), by Thu/Fri my legs would start feeling heavy so if my rides for the rest of the week aren't so strong it's okay.

Don't know if it also helps that I do intermittent fasting through the week. I started eating this way years ago so it's with interest I see recently it's become kinda popular, even got the fancy name. I usually eat between 6-7 each night and that's it, but this week I've started having a few tsps of coconut oil before I leave for work. I think I should throw some nuts in too at that time. My only concern here is adequate protein so I don't lose strength.

For what it's worth, I can feel midsection fat is coming off nicely. I must admit fat loss is part of my interest in this program, since the tight dietary cleanup can only help with that. I gave myself a deadline last month - by beginning of August I want to see abs. I've been slowly trimming down since the beginning of the year but I'd like to see goals already.

Hints of ab are showing now, guess I can't blame them for being shy since they've never seen the world ;) I have no idea what I weigh at the moment, last time I weighed myself was probably Jan. It doesn't tell me anything useful really, since I do a bodyweight routine I'm slowly gaining muscle and as muscle tissue is more dense than fat I might even weigh a few grams more than I did earlier this year. It's all about composition not numbers eh.

Strength to everyone!

I'm slightly confused - are you doing a whole 30, or still doing IF?

Yay...day 3. Woke up this morning with NO headache, yay!!!! The past two days were brutal and my daughters had a swim meet last night...loud speakers/loud children/heat, not a good combo for a headache. My husband actually sent me home early with my youngest so that I could go to bed (meet was delayed due to storms about 1/2 way through and they usually last until at least 9:30 w/o delays). The good part about the headache was it made me so nauseous that I craved nothing!

Still tired today but not sure if that's due to the plan or the fact that I've been up too late the past 2 nights. I get up at 4:30am to walk my dogs before teaching 6am fitness classes so 10pm is very late for me. I actually had to grab a small handfull of nuts before I left the house this morning and I never eat before I exercise. Yes, I know that I'm supposed to but it usually makes me really sick to do that. It worked this morning though b/c when I got back from our walk, my stomach was already growling.I'm looking forward to an early bedtime tonight.

I read the timeline for the first time this morning and that plus the comments from all of you made me feel sooooo much better about the symptoms I'm experiencing. I don't love meat and actually only each fish (no land/air meat) so the protein part is a little challenging - have added in boiled eggs for breakfast and tuna on my salad for lunch instead of beans. Not eating beans and dairy is harder for me than cutting out sugar!!!

I thank goodness that I can still have caffeine on this plan - love my cup of coffee in the morning and already drank it black so I do really look forward to having that. I've also been having a cup of decaf lemon ginger hot tea in the afternoon - it helps with the "it's 3:00 and I need something to get me through to 5:00" craving. Yesterday, it just helped a bit with my headache. 

Have a great day!

Michelle

Grrr I'm annoyed with manufacturers... I've got a bottle of apple cider vinegar I've been using a while. It says on the front "100% pure apple cider vinegar" so that's what I thought it was. Had it on my salad the first two evenings of W30. Last night as I'm getting it off the shelf I happen to catch the back of the label, oh hello what's this "Preservative: Sulphur Dioxide". FFs. How can it be 100% apple cider vinegar if it's got something else in it??
So yeah... deja vu, I'm really on my second day today.

I'm slightly confused - are you doing a whole 30, or still doing IF?

Both... IF is a way of life for me, as I suspect W30 might well come to be ;)

Grrr I'm annoyed with manufacturers... I've got a bottle of apple cider vinegar I've been using a while. It says on the front "100% pure apple cider vinegar" so that's what I thought it was. Had it on my salad the first two evenings of W30. Last night as I'm getting it off the shelf I happen to catch the back of the label, oh hello what's this "Preservative: Sulphur Dioxide". FFs. How can it be 100% apple cider vinegar if it's got something else in it??

So yeah... deja vu, I'm really on my second day today.

Both... IF is a way of life for me, as I suspect W30 might well come to be ;)

But whole 30 prescribes 3 meals a day...the two don't really correlate. Eating the same food as they suggest is a great idea, but I don't think IF fits in with the whole 30 idea? Perhaps a mod can clarify!

Day 3 in the books and moving on to day 4! Got some great sleep last night so am feeling better today. Had a good workout this morning, breakfast and am now enjoying me coffee as I start the work day.

Yea - those manufacturer stink, so sorry!!! We started really reading labels when about 2 years ago when I started learning more about HFCS and the dyes that can be harmful. It's amazing to me what products contain HFCS.

So proud of my husband - he made homemade cocktail sauce last night...tomato paste and horshradish. So yum!!!

Have a good one. 

Oh no... my day 3 did not start well. Awful cramps in my stomach, and now diarrhea. Could not go to work. I'm trying to stay positive, at least no more headache! :wacko::D

Hope you have a better day... :)

Sakrima - do you get the Whole30 Daily emails? I read this morning that those symptoms are a possibility on day 3. I hope you feel better!

Sakrima - do you get the Whole30 Daily emails? I read this morning that those symptoms are a possibility on day 3. I hope you feel better!

jacmic, thanks, I do get those emails. It sure makes me feel a little better - I blamed the home-made mayo before reading that stomach issues are quite common at this phase. I'm feeling better already, but it is safer to stay near toilets... :P  I'm so happy for your coffee; I'm used to have stevia with my coffee (and milk...), so part of my misery is lack of coffee / caffeine! :rolleyes:

But we will go on...

"A man who wants something, will find a way; a man who doesn't, will find an excuse"

Happy day 4 everyone. I thought I'd mention a few things that have helped me:

Cooking a chicken and vegetables over night in the crock pot. It gives me enough meat for three meals - I just add something raw and some fat.

Having a Mark Sisson -style big salad for lunch every day simplifies planning.

Without bread, pasta and potatoes, I find I need something to cut the richness of each meal, and I find spicy, sour/acid, and piquant flavors do that.  Salsa (I like Herdez) is a wonderful addition, as are sauerkraut, hot sauce, olives and lemon.

Just thought I'd share. I'm feeling good today. Maybe not energetic, but certainly less tired.

Are we on day 4? Last week of school term here so I don't know what day it is!

So far so good for me, I think because I'm doing this so close to completing my first whole 30 I'm already in the habits and not experiencing many of the nasty side-effects? I'm in the uk though and we are having a bit of a heat wave - so can't say I'm feeling energetic - totally zapped with the heat!

My problem this time is I am relying on my favourite recipes and not really broadening my tastes too much. I made a couple of my favourite meals at the weekend - nom nom Paleos Bo Kho and paleOMG pumpkin cashew coconut curry and I've been living off those, don't want to get in a rut being bored of the meals I love so I'm googling recipes and planning a more exciting menu for the rest of the week! (Although for anyone who hasn't tried them the Bo Kho and pumpkin cashew curry are amazing :) )

I am brand new here - signed up about 10 minutes ago! I started my first Whole 30 on 15 July, so today is Day 4 for me.

Day 1 was great. I felt awesome most of the day, but by evening had developed a headache that wouldn't go away no matter how much water I drank. Everything else was good.

Day 2 was horrible and I felt like I'd been hit by a truck. Muscle and joint pain, mental fog and general crabbiness.

Day 3 was more of the same, but maybe not quite so intense.

Today, so far, is a lot like Day 3, but not as bad.

Seriously, the food is the easy part so far. It's functioning at work that's been the real challenge.

Any and all suggestions, support and recipes are more than welcome. I eat mostly vegetarian, but I will eat eggs, good poultry and fish (allergic to shellfish) when it sounds good.

I am brand new here - signed up about 10 minutes ago! I started my first Whole 30 on 15 July, so today is Day 4 for me.

Day 1 was great. I felt awesome most of the day, but by evening had developed a headache that wouldn't go away no matter how much water I drank. Everything else was good.

Day 2 was horrible and I felt like I'd been hit by a truck. Muscle and joint pain, mental fog and general crabbiness.

Seriously, the food is the easy part so far. It's functioning at work that's been the real challenge.

Any and all suggestions, support and recipes are more than welcome. I eat mostly vegetarian, but I will eat eggs, good poultry and fish (allergic to shellfish) when it sounds good.

Islandgrrl: I only eat fish - so far I have used some recipes for meat and just substituted fish. I've been putting a can of tuna on my salad for lunches. I shredded zucchini, sauteed in some coconut oil and garlic and put approved tomato sauce on top and then served with Mahi. I do eat shellfish so have also used cold shrimp on my salad. We make enough for one meal to last us 1-2 days so we aren't cooking every night (both have full time jobs plus 2 small children). I eat 2 hard boiled eggs everymorning plus my smoothie (water, blueberries, strawberries, spinach and one banana). I use that as both my breakfast and my post workout meal. I'm also on day 4 so am interested to see how I feel about this halfway through. I prefer veggies and beans over meat so giving up legumes is very hard for me!  I do a lot of google searching for recipes and Pintrest has quite a few as well. 

Welcome to the group :)

Have you signed up to the whole 30 daily? If not I'd highly recommend it - most of what you are feeling sounds completely normal. On my first whole 30 I couldn't believe how bad I felt on day 2 - surely I didn't eat that bad before??? :) also there is a timeline of what you can expect to feel on each day - which is really good, but the daily email was great, I found it hit the nail on the head each day to how I was feeling, with some great tips and links to support.

I don't eat eggs at all, and I'm not a huge meat fan - although I'm trying! But nom nom paleo had some amazing recipes to try - and they are all whole 30 compliant, also paleOMG has some really nice stuff - but you might need to substitute some of the ingredients or omit them as they are not all whole 30 approved. Any of the recipes you could swap chicken for the beef/lamb/pork - I often do as chicken is the only meat I really love. PaleOMG has quite a lot of poultry/fish/egg recipes though so take a look?

Thank you, jcmic and redjasmin.

I've been either vegan or vegetarian for the better part of 35 years. I started eating chicken and fish about 9 years ago. I still don't eat a lot, but every once in a while I really want it, so I eat it. Chicken really is the only meat that I find palatable. Duck is good, too, but I don't know how to properly cook that, so I don't bother. I do really like fish, so there is hope for me. I'm never going to be a bacon and steak girl, though.

I'm checking out the resources you suggested.

Two nights ago I made a Thai style curry with coconut milk (thank G*d for coconut milk...best stuff ever), zucchini, broccoli, onions and lots of fresh chopped basil. I'll probably do that again tonight and toss in some fresh codfish. Geez...I'm making myself hungry!

Breakfast  has been yummy Paleo granola (from Primal Island) with some kind of fruit, usually blueberries. Lunches have been salads, but I did that before the Whole30 so it's not an adjustment at all. And my favorite dressing has always been olive oil and vinegar or lemon juice, so at least that part of my day is not a challenge. Tuna on the salad is a brilliant idea that never occurred to me, so thank you. 

I'm probably eating too many nuts (raw almonds and cashews), but they really keep me from being hungry.

I'm unsure about how to structure my pre and post work out meals. I work out early in the morning before work - I run somewhere between 2 and 8 miles, depending on how much time I have and how I feel on any given day, and I limit myself to one long run (that would be between 6 and 8 miles) a week. I've been having problems with tendon inflammation and super painful hips, and that's what really prompted me to join the Whole30. My issue is that if I eat anything of real substance before I run, I usually end up throwing it up. What to eat that will be easy on my stomach and provide me enough fuel for a better workout (because right now it's a real challenge and it hurts).

My daughter was competing in her Nationals for dance company the past two days, so I really haven't had the time to check in until today. My day 2 and day 3 were challenging to say the least. I can't seem to get rid of this darn head ache (I have even resorted to tylenol a few times a day). I am trying to drink plenty of water, especially since I have been up and doing laps around our local track by 7am (in the middle of a heat wave like a CHAMP), haha! My biggest complaint is the lack of energy. Before I started the W30- I was walking 4-6 miles in the morning and than going to the gym in the evening with plenty of energy to spare. Now- I am struggling just to get my daily "mom" chores done around the house. I am just telling myself that "This to shall pass" and that my body must still be going through with drawl.

Today I am trying to spend the day searching for some fun and interesting recipes to make for the next few weeks! I have to be prepared ahead of time or else I tend to get derailed and find myself grazing in the fruit basket!! I have a huge MAJOR weakness for fruit!!

How is everyone else doing? Is there a chance anyone else is experiencing some lower back pain as well? I am chalking it up to a possible soreness from carrying around my 5 month old all the time  :P

Oh my goodness, sandylynn0312, the lower back pain is terrible! It's weird pain, too. Not like normal muscle soreness. I admit to taking some Ibuprofen to take the edge off. It's the only way I can seem to function at work. :(

Day 2, 3, and 4 = TIRED!!  (wrote my food details on my W30 log)

Yesterday, I was falling asleep while driving....

This morning, after after my run at 6 am, I came home and ate breakfast.   I decided to go back to sleep until my kids woke-up, figuring maybe 30 more minutes.  Nope, woke up at 9:45am!!!  My sister-in-law is visiting, so my children were not running around unsupervised.  But, I couldn't believe it!!  It was like I had slipped into a coma!! :blink:   I am also making sure I get around 7 hours of sleep.  I am getting the daily emails so I know this is supposed to be part of it, but it is really inconvenient.  :huh:

Other than the being chronically tired, things seem to be going well.  While I was working at the health department yesterday afternoon, the ladies made an ice cream run.  I managed to decline.  :D  

Regarding pre and post exercise meals, I typically run first thing in the am and do not eat anything unless I am running more than 6 miles.  If I am going to eat before a long run, it is typically as I am going out the door to not get a hypoglycemic rebound that I am prone to.  Post work out I just eat breakfast, but if it was a high intensity or a long run I eat again 2-3 hours later.  Before lifting, it just depends on the time of day and when I ate food last.  Sometimes I will have a boiled egg.  But I do eat post lifting, usually boiled eggs and sweet potato.  Although, it really depends on the length and intensity of the workout.  Then I eat about 1-2 hours later (dinner or lunch). 

Tonight, we will be going to the fair again to watch bull riding.  My daughters are excited and they would like to have their one per year allotted funnel cake.  I really have no desire for a funnel cake or any of the fair food.  The key is to be prepared.  We are eating dinner right before we head over, and I am bringing some nuts again.

To those who are vegetarian/vegans, best of luck as you do the W30.  Stay diligent to ensuring you are getting key nutrients found in mostly meats; zinc, iron, and Vitamin B.  Sounds like you have been doing it a long time, so I'm sure you are good.  I just know it is harder when you are eliminating several other foods also.

Best of luck to everyone!!!

Hi guys, I just signed up for the forum, but have been reading posts for a long time. I started my whole30 on Monday also, and I am so glad to read that some of you are experiencing similar things. Today (day 4) has been the worst for me, I feel like I'm in a constant fog I can't get out of, and I have been nauseous all day. I can hardly bring myself to eat, but am making sure to take in protein and fat and veggies, even though I'm not eating much due to gagging. Looking forward to reading about what you all are going through, hope everyone is having a better day than me, ha!

Hi all! I just started my first Whole30 on the 15th too, and it's reassuring to read that everyone has had a lot of the same symptoms that I had the first few days (mainly really, really tired). I've been eating primal/paleo for the past 2 years or so (following the 80/20 rule for the most part) so I was a bit surprised that it affected me that strongly. Since last night I have been really bloated, which is unusual for me since going off gluten. why would this be happening?

Archived