July 15th Start Date: support and accountability a must

CarrieTS

Today is my day 5. I am having severe stomach cramping...sheesh.... I have done well. Tonight I recieved a text from friends to meet them at our local hangout. We did. The server automatically brings me ice water with lemon.  I usually order low carb...chicken wings or a burger with no bun. I ordered nothing. The cramps started on the way home.

Today I ate half an avocado and coffee from breakfast. I just was not hungry. For lunch I had water and the other half of the avocado. For dinner a steak and chicken stir fry with grated carrots, cabbage, mushrooms, onions, and peppers. No sauce. Maybe  it is a bug. Don't know. What ever happens, I am not abandoning this.

Phoebe

Welcome beckalee,whirledpeace(haha)islandgrrl,jamic and every one else. I guess we are all newbies...

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But whole 30 prescribes 3 meals a day...the two don't really correlate. Eating the same food as they suggest is a great idea, but I don't think IF fits in with the whole 30 idea? Perhaps a mod can clarify!

Hmmm I didn't pay much attention to that part. I know the program is supposed to be followed strictly but I think the content of what's being eaten is more important than when or how often. Eating during the day simply does not work for me except on weekends. If that means I'm not doing W30, well so be it, then I'm on my own elimination diet variation.

Wow so reading through what everyone is going through I must say kudos to you all for sticking through it! I'm not having such difficulties. I think it's because there really was so little to change from my regular diet, dropping legumes was the big change and I'd actually stopped lentils two weeks ago anyway... and I don't think I have any issue with them anyway. But let's see how the weekend goes.

I hope everyone has a stronger day today.

Day 5 and the approach of the weekend, yikes! Feeling really good, is it possible that I already notice a difference in my face? It seems a lot less puffy that it has in the past week or so. 

I'm getting a few of the stomach cramps but not many as I already ate a ton of veggies previously. My handful of nuts pre workout this morning must have been a little too big b/c I was a little nauseous through most of my workout this morning.

Love getting all the feedback on this post and knowing that I'm not alone in my symptoms. Partly prepped for the weekend, fridge full of veggies and some fish in the freezer. Think the hardest part will not be having a beer at the pool tonight with my friends but it's worth it and I can do it!

Have a great day!

Oh man, I am really thankful for this thread!!  It has been really helpful to hear from folks experiencing the same things I am!

I started on July 15 with all of you and yesterday I had serious thoughts about quitting. A couple hours after lunch I just felt terrible. I was super tired, irritable, and weak. I started thinking maybe this just doesn't work for my body because the feeling was similar to when my blood sugar is low. I was so tempted to have muesli and regular milk for dinner.

I decided to push through one more meal and consider quitting if I still felt terrible after that. I was SO sick of broccoli and coconut oil I could scream, so I made sweet potato fries as my veggie. I cut up a sweet potato, covered the pieces with olive oil, and sprinkled some cinnamon on them before putting them in the oven. They were SO GOOD! I also threw about 7-8 raisins in my ground turkey mix and had a few bites of watermelon at the end of my meal. I think my body appreciated the starchy veggie and my taste buds appreciated having something different.

This morning I feel much better, albeit tired. I feel better about being able to stick it out, at least right now. I know including some variety really helps.  I'm going to try to do that, though it can be difficult cause I'm on a budget, have limited time, and also have limited choices (I have hypothyroidism so I'm doing the Whole30 autoimmune plan, which means no eggs or nuts and cuts out a few veggies. Plus I don't eat beef and pork).

Sometimes it makes it easier to adopt a "just for today" way of thinking. It might be overwhelming to worry about how I'm going to get through the next three weeks, but staying Whole30 compliant just today feels like something I can manage.

Congrats everyone on making it to Day 5!  We can do this!!!

Btw, those of you with the cramps, I wonder if digestive enzymes might help you? I've experienced a little stomach distress myself, so I ordered some enzymes to see if they help me out.

Good luck guys!!!

A quick drop in...

I am glad everyone is still sticking in there.  Last night was rough, will talk more about it later.  I have heard that the stomach aches, bloating, etc can be normal the first week or so.  I would be careful with the digestive enzymes, especially if they haven't been recommended by a physician (that's my conservative RD talking).  The whole point of the W30 is to allow your GI to heal and get back to normal.  Give it some time and allow it to figure out how to digest some of these foods you haven't eaten in some time, or just heal from what has been done to it.  That's just my opinion. 

Great job everyone.  Here is to a successful day 5!

CarrieTS, you make a good point about the digestive enzymes. I'm really on the fence about it. I did order some recommended in ISWF, thinking I want to be sure my body actually absorbs the nutrients it needs to rework and regulate my hormones' responses to food (insulin, leptin, etc.) That's one of the main reasons I'm doing Whole30.

What does everyone else think about digestive enzymes? Are there any advanced members reading this far into the thread that can chime in?

~Megan

Ok you guys...I haven't had any cravings, until now. So I don't drink sodas very often, maybe once a month if that. Today, I would give my right arm for a diet coke - like I can taste it I want it so badk. Ugh!!!

Day 5 and I'm feeling better physically today than days 3 and 4, yay! It is comforting to know others are suffering the same things I am, ha ha! I'm craving things I don't even eat and haven't in years, like peanut butter and Britts donuts (not together!). I'm having trouble eating enough at meals to keep me satiated until the next meal. I try to not "graze", but I've given in to a handful of nuts several times.

If you having thoughts of giving in to temptation and sabotaging your whole30, maybe what I tell my math students will help you. Many students hate math and have no motivation to learn it. I tell them, especially if the course is required for their major, that if they don't do it now, they can spend another semester with me doing the same thing, or they can buck up and put in the time and effort now and move on with their lives.

Stay strong everyone, we can do this!!

Day 5...Today is day 5, right?  :huh:

I woke up feeling great! I went out walking again with a friend and we did 4.86 miles before the heat was too much for my son sitting in the stroller. I came home and packed up and went to the gym...I had THAT much energy! 

Now...Right NOW...feels like a complete 180. I have that horrible head ache again, feel like I could sleep for days and I'm in such a fog. My lower back pain is much better today. My cravings for coffee aren't nearly as bad, I just miss the ritual of sitting down with my husband and enjoying a cup together. I am trying to drink plenty of water today to be sure that it's not dehydration getting to me.

My husband- now that is a different story. He completed his Whole4  :lol:  and quit already. He was my main source of support so I'm feeling a little down about that. I respect his decision but at the same time just wish he would have stuck with it for the 30 days. He would have probably noticed his migraines had disappeared, but *sigh* "Oh well." I am just hoping that I am strong enough to finish out my whole 30 without his support. 

I hope everyone has a great day 5 and I can't wait to read about how everyone is doing!  :)

ZOMG, I'm having crazy cravings too! The last two nights I dreamed about food. I can't remember what food it was the first night, but I remember it was several foods. Last night I dreamed someone served me an omelette with cheese and I was like "meh" and ate it. I'm not even that into omelettes!  I'm surprised I didn't dream about cereal cause I am a total cereal killer.

I am noticing some benefits too. My clothes already fit better and my stomach seems pretty happy, which makes me think maybe stuff I was eating before was causing bloating and such.  

Glad everyone else is finding a way to stick with it! I know we're all facing challenges, but we can do it!!!

Ok you guys...I haven't had any cravings, until now. So I don't drink sodas very often, maybe once a month if that. Today, I would give my right arm for a diet coke - like I can taste it I want it so badk. Ugh!!!

Jacmic,

I have managed to get off of the soda the past year, but when I was working on cutting back I would have some soda water with lemon and lime juice squeezed in.  It was refreshing and I found what I was really missing was the carbonation.  I still drink this a lot in place of water.

Day 5...Today is day 5, right?  :huh:

I woke up feeling great! I went out walking again with a friend and we did 4.86 miles before the heat was too much for my son sitting in the stroller. I came home and packed up and went to the gym...I had THAT much energy! 

Now...Right NOW...feels like a complete 180. I have that horrible head ache again, feel like I could sleep for days and I'm in such a fog. My lower back pain is much better today. My cravings for coffee aren't nearly as bad, I just miss the ritual of sitting down with my husband and enjoying a cup together. I am trying to drink plenty of water today to be sure that it's not dehydration getting to me.

My husband- now that is a different story. He completed his Whole4  :lol:  and quit already. He was my main source of support so I'm feeling a little down about that. I respect his decision but at the same time just wish he would have stuck with it for the 30 days. He would have probably noticed his migraines had disappeared, but *sigh* "Oh well." I am just hoping that I am strong enough to finish out my whole 30 without his support. 

I hope everyone has a great day 5 and I can't wait to read about how everyone is doing!  :)

@sandylynn0312

We will be your support system.  Message me if you are ever need to.  I understand the frustration you are going through at the moment.  My husband was hot and cold the past 1 1/2 months regarding whether he would do the W30 with me.  Finally, I said, "screw it!  I'm doing it without you."  He is supportive and we eat all of the same meals together, actually the  whole family does.  He just continues to eat rice, and milk products.  When you are having those bad moments, focus on the good.  Are there any benefits you have seen in the past 5 days?  For me, the bloat is gone from consuming dairy products and gluten free grains.  This morning when I was really tired, cranky and hungry I focused on that and where I was going to end up in 30 days.  Plus, where I still want to go after the 30 days.

So today was going pretty well until I experienced a setback that I'm really afraid is going to make me have to start my Whole30 over. I found out sunflower oil is listed as an ingredient for the raisins I've been eating (about 7-8 raisins at my last three meals).

This is going to be SO disheartening if I have to start over and find out all I've struggled for the last few days has been wasted effort. :(

Learn from me, guys! Make sure you read all your labels carefully! 

Hey friends,

I"m new to the forum but today is day 5 for me as well.  Doing okay, I feel great (been sick with a lingering respiratory infection for five weeks now and today I think it's gone), but I swear I've been starving for the last 24 hours. Meals aren't a problem whatsoever, but snacks are. I'm already sick of munching on carrots and handfuls of blueberries or almonds.  

Today I was at the grocery store and I swore the cookies caught my eye, and I don't even like sweets for the most part.  That was weird.  

Here's what I had today:

B:  2 scrambled eggs w/ homemade salsa, black coffee
L:  salad w/ mixed greens, blueberries, tomato, red cabbage, 3 oz grilled chicken, balsamic vinegar
D: grilled pork loin, roasted green beans and tomatoes, sauteed mushrooms and onions

So today was going pretty well until I experienced a setback that I'm really afraid is going to make me have to start my Whole30 over. I found out sunflower oil is listed as an ingredient for the raisins I've been eating (about 7-8 raisins at my last three meals).

This is going to be SO disheartening if I have to start over and find out all I've struggled for the last few days has been wasted effort. :(

While sunflower oil is not ideal it isn't forbidden on the Whole30. 

Personally, if I have a slip (and I certainly have no intention of doing so at this point), I"m going to deal and move on. I'm not starting over.  That might be against the rules, but at the end of the day, I would rather accept a slip and move on in the right direction than be so strict that I just throw up my hands and say "forget this".     

Personally, if I have a slip (and I certainly have no intention of doing so at this point), I"m going to deal and move on. I'm not starting over.  That might be against the rules, but at the end of the day, I would rather accept a slip and move on in the right direction than be so strict that I just throw up my hands and say "forget this".     

It depends on the slip and your goals. If you slip on dairy or grains than you may not get the same results from your reintroductions as if you went 30 days clean. A lot of people just extend their W30 for a few days or wait on those intros if that happens. I think accidentally eating something non compliant and purposefully making a choice too are different too. 

That makes sense.  My goal is to feel better.  Period.  

I also think there's a difference between unintentionally eating something non compliant and making the decision to do so are different, but our bodies don't know the difference.  

@sandylynn0312

We will be your support system. Message me if you are ever need to. I understand the frustration you are going through at the moment. My husband was hot and cold the past 1 1/2 months regarding whether he would do the W30 with me. Finally, I said, "screw it! I'm doing it without you." He is supportive and we eat all of the same meals together, actually the whole family does. He just continues to eat rice, and milk products. When you are having those bad moments, focus on the good. Are there any benefits you have seen in the past 5 days? For me, the bloat is gone from consuming dairy products and gluten free grains. This morning when I was really tired, cranky and hungry I focused on that and where I was going to end up in 30 days. Plus, where I still want to go after the 30 days.

I have been eating paleo for a while now. The whole30 for me, was just a final clean up of my eating and to help me determine what foods were effecting me and how. I can already feel a difference and most certainly have the power and strength to keep going! Especially after all the loving support I am getting on here.

It hasn't been a wasted effort! Sunflower oil isn't forbidden so you have just made a choice that's less than ideal? I did 26 days of my first whole 30 before reading on a forum about 'compliant coconut milk' what? Surely coconut milk just contains coconut? Sure enough my coconut milk contained carrageenan :( but I was 26 days in and I'd had such amazing results that I decided to just carry on and complete the whole 30, I'd not cheated or deliberately ate something?

This is supposed to be the start of a healthy new you - not give you added stress by worrying about every single thing you eat? Just try and find some raisins without sunflower oil and carry on?

We are almost 1/4 of the way there! First week almost under our belt :)

Happy Day 6! We have almost made it to the 1 week mark...woohoo! Sounds like everyone is doing great and learning new things along the way.

Kellis...small world. I live in Raleigh. My aunt and uncle and cousins live in Wilmington and I spent the majority of my summers through high school either at Carolina beach or wrightsville. There are as much like home to me as my home. Britts was a staple back then.

Sandylynn...you have got your support system right here. Anytime you get frustrated or want to brag about how good you did, come here and tell us about it!

So here is my happy story...we do Friday dinners at the pool with a group of families...it usually involves pizza, snacks and cookies plus beer. Last night I packed my salad and a peach plus my big bottle of water. I did not stray and as I figured they would be, my friends were really supportive. They may not get why I'm doing this but they don't try to talk me out of it. My girlfriend aka drinking buddy, didn't even get out her beer. I'm lucky to have such great people in my life! There was pizza and cookies...I took a nice big sniff of pizza and it made my stomach turn so yay!

Today will be spent getting my daughter ready for her first week long overnight camp with the girl scouts. Sheis 7 and I'm kind of freaking out about it,

Have a great whole 30 day!

This is my day 5, and it is a good day! No headache, no stomach problems, not so cranky anymore... ^_^

I went for a walk in the forest nearby with my son, and it was so lovely! We picked wild forest blueberries, strawberries and rasberries, and my son even found some chantarellis mushroom. I feel so lucky with these supergood superfood we found! :wub:

post-33144-0-28092600-1374326355_thumb.j

Archived