July 15th Start Date: support and accountability a must

CarrieTS

I need to catch up on how everyone is doing?  I also need to journal on my log.  I wanted to take a moment to list some recipes that i have tried this week or am trying.  Just make sure you are using W30 compliant ingredients or make substitutes.

Paleo Sloppy Joes (my husband loved it, it was the perfect sloppy consistency, but a little too much chili powder for my girls)

http://runwithrach.com/post/8695710037/paleo-sloppy-joes

Crockpot Brazillian Curry Chicken (good)

http://paleomg.com/leftovers-brazilian-curry-chicken/

Paleo Meatballs (family favorite, make rice noodles for my girls and zucchini for my  husband and I)

http://fastpaleo.com/recipe/paleo-meatballs/

Chicken Enchilada Stew (made this in the past, load it up with cilantro, fresh tomatoes and avocado)

http://paleomg.com/enchilada-chicken-stew/

Artichoke Lemon Pesto Chicken (have not made this one yet).

http://paleomg.com/artichoke-lemon-pesto-chicken-pasta/

Sausage Spaghetti Squash Bake (I have made this several times.  It is the only way my husband will eat spaghetti squash.  I was getting really tired of the same boring thing for breakfast, so I made this which provided leftovers for several mornings.  Plus, it tastes better the 2nd and 3rd day.

http://paleomg.com/leftovers-spaghetti-squash-sausage-bake/

Anyways, that is what I have recipes for, most of my cooking involves throwing stuff together and I am too lazy to write down what gets thrown together.  I hope everyone is having a good Day 9.  Best of luck!!

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last night I recieved an email from a "daily robot"...so it says , and they sent me all 4 of the ones I could not find. They were so kind about it. There is a promotions tab above my gmail...they were all in there...who knew...I am not a computer  wizz.

After the third day of starting whole 30  my daily headache left....but....

I did not wait 30 days.

I drove 4 hours south of where we live and spent the weekend with our son and his family.. I ate great food. Mostly whole 30.  My daughter in law tried so hard. She is so loving. ... She made me a fantastic sandwich with lengthwize peeled and  sliced cucumber with the seeds hollowed out. In the middle was chicken and goat cheese. She made the presentation so  special and was SO proud. There was no way on Gods green earth that I was going to tell her I could not eat that.

So I woke up at 3 am with a headache so severe... dairy really IS the culprit. THe headache lasted half the day.  I ate no more dairy  and had no headaches until last night. I decided I had to see... now... I ate a cup of greek yogurt...guess what...woke up at 3 am with a skull burning screaming headache. My husband asked me why I did it...I had to be sure that it was the dairy... I have also been sneezing all day too.

So, I am starting over..tomorrow with the whole 30. I will not be reintroducing dairy. I am done with it for ever.

What day are we on now? It's funny how this way of eating is becoming a little more habitual now, and I was comparing this whole 30 to my first whole 30 that I started June 10th and remember obsessing about having half an avocado with my breakfast because of all the fat and calories it contained - how on earth could I eat that an lose weight! Where now I think I might just chuck an avocado in with my meal for a bit of extra fat! :)

I said through this whole 30 that I wasn't going to snack on nuts - so I deliberately didn't buy them. I have found myself having a sliced apple with almond butter every day though :/ so came to the end of the jar yesterday and decided that I won't be buying another - I just can't have it in the house.

I also think I'm eating too much fruit? I always have it as part of a meal, but I'm having 4-5 pieces of fruit per day rather than 1-2 (I love fruit, not missing the refined sugar or the dairy or the grains, but I love fruit!) so I need to exercise a bit more control with the fruit!

Other than that, this whole 30 is going pretty well :)

Day 10 - can't believe it and had to check my calendar to make sure. I cannot believe how good I feel today. I slept great, woke up happy, had a great workout AND my clothes are fitting better. My little extra bonus - I'm not wearing as much makeup because my skin is so clear. Love it!

I posted this to the FB page yesterday and wanted to get your feedback too. I'm seriously considering adding some meat back into my diet.I eat seafood but I'm feeling so good and really enjoying my food so much that I think I want to mix it up more so that I don't get more and go back to eating beans after this 30 days. Plus - the recipes look fabulous. Here is my story: haven't eaten red meat or pork in about 20 years. It's been probably 5 since I've had chicken or turkey. I watched Food Inc and just couldn't bring myself to eat it. My family eats meat and I buy only grass fed, organic, free range meats for them. Have any of you had experience with this? I'm worried about digestive issues. When I go out to eat and order fish, if it has been cooked on the same grill as steak, I get really sick to my stomach. Would love to hear your thoughts.

Wow Zinniaseeds - that's incredible that dairy does that to you. I'm glad you found out though and know what to do to fix it.

Have a good one!

Feeling very good about finishing these 30 days! You see, I've suffered from pelvic pain (endometriosis) for years and have been through one surgery which didn't make any difference, then I gained 30 lbs in one year afterwards. It has affected my work and my social life but I refused the metformin my doc recommended. For the last couple of days, NO PAIN. I feel my lust for life returning. My abdomen has shrunk...a lot.

Zinniaseeds - it's interesting how you discovered dairy affects you! I have a hunch it will be something I need to cut out completely as well and I will really miss goat cheese!

CarrieTS - thank you for those recipes! I just bought a spaghetti squash and was wondering what I would do with it. Definitely trying the sausage bake recipe.

Jacmic - I was a vegetarian for many years and then slowly began eating fish and poultry several years ago. Then I moved on to pork after rediscovering bacon. Until last month I had not eaten beef in almost 30 years. I bought some local, grass-fed ground beef and really seasoned it and added a lot of onions. It was wonderful. However, I can't yet eat steak. Tried a bite and spit it right back out. Too strong of a flavor. I hope to work up to it, but right now I'm sticking with ground beef one night a week. I didn't take any enzymes for digestion and haven't had any problems. I also don't eat a lot of beef at one time. Many people doing the whole30 do use digestive enzymes to help reintroduce meat back into their diet. Maybe do a forum search to read what others have done.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day 10!

Kellis - thank you, that's great advise. 

Totally forgot - islandgrrl - that's awesome news about your pain free run - what a great feeling!!!

I have periformis syndrome and have been dealing with it for 2 years. The pain is not gone but it's so much less than it has ever been. There have been many mornings where my leg would buckle from pain but I haven't experienced that at all this week! Whoop!

Day 10. Okay, I am well and truly sick. The headcold has headed south and settled in my chest. I feel horrendous. I'm concerned about this progressing to something more serious than what it is.

I skipped the run this morning, ate an egg for breakfast just because I know I have to eat breakfast. We'll see how the rest of the day goes. I'm still not worried about the food.

Blah.

I am freaking out. I feel great, except for my cold, and I'm shrinking like Alice in Wonderland but the problem is, how can I NOT cook this way for my family? And if I cook this way for my family, how can I possibly afford it? We already spend over a grand on food each month on our family of seven, and even feeding them grains (soaked the WAP way) and potatoes, I can't seem to fill them up.

Anyway, here's my plan. First, I'll get a million dollars.Then, I'm going to do a super-long reintroduction, testing for every variable I can. For example, I'll test one day for grass-fed butter, a separate day for cultured dairy, and one for regular milk. Soaked gluten grains, soaked non-gluten grains, etc. I'm really hoping we can tolerate soaked grains and legumes and some dairy. If not, I'm gonna have to spend that million dollars.

Day one today...awesome.

No headache...no dairy, no grain, no chocolate ( that is big) at work,(there is a huge bowl of it on a counter I work at.) No sugar, no beans.

Ribs with a rub on them, green beans with bacon.  dinner.   Breakfast was black  coffee and sardines. lunch was a small gr chuck patty and coconut.

Zinniaseeds - great job on day !

Islandgrrl - hope you are feeling better and it's nothing serious

Natalie - that's a great question and one we are still trying to figure out for just a family of 4. I do buy vegetables in bulk at BJs Wholesale and try to buy my meat/seafood when it's on sale. I know the program states to try and buy organic when buying from the "dirty" list but anything else to do what fits in your budget. Maybe with more protein and less carbs, the family will fill up faster than they did with grains and potatoes? I don't know?

So I'm excited - bought a couple of outfits online the week before I started the Whole 30. When then arrived and I tried them on, they were tight, too tight to wear. The shirt stretched across my stomach and I could barely zip the skirt. I am happy to say that I am currently wearing that outfit and not only does it fit, it's a little loose. It's amazing to me to see that much change in just under 2 weeks! Love it.

So are any of you noticing a change in your tastebuds? Flavors are so vibrant to me - fruit is much sweetier and spices are much more flavorful. Can't believe what I have been doing to my body to make these taste muted so much. I'm also craving more meat and that has never happened to me! I am going to branch out tomorrow have have some ground turkey burgers and I'm stragely excited about it.

Have a good one!

Day 11 and I feel like almost a million bucks - in spite of this crappy cold. I am feeling much, much better this morning, though.

I skipped the run again today, thinking it wise not to push it.

Jacmic, you inspired me: A while back I bought a few  new uniforms for work (I'm a nurse - I wear scrubs every day). Well, I ordered Medium skirts instead of large and they were too tight - a lot too tight. Well, I'm wearing one of them this morning. It's still a little snugger in the hips than I'd like, but I'm comfortable in it! Now I need a few new tops....I feel like I'm wearing a paper bag for a shirt today.

Since you brought up the tastebuds thing....YES! Things taste so good. I ate a peach yesterday and was thinking to myself that it was probably the best peach I had ever had. Then I did the same thing with broccoli last night. Yeah, it's not the food. It's me. The other thing I've noticed is that I'm satisfied with a lot less food. I've always been pretty veg heavy in terms of what I eat, but taking o ut the grains has made a huge difference.

Also, I was thinking about why I've always avoided eating certain things. I never eat spaghetti (or any other plate of pasta) because it makes my stomach hurt. I never eat a bowl of cereal for the same reason. I won't eat a peanut butter and jelly sandwich because the pain in my belly is just over the top. I never really stopped to think about the why, I just avoided eating these things. I'm mentally making the connection and that kind of thrills me a little. I mean, I'm not a stupid person, I just  never connected those dots before. So now I'm wondering if the grain in the pasta and cereal and the combination of the legumes and the grains and the sugar (PB&J) is telling me something? I think so!!!

Ground turkey burgers sound really good.....

jacmic...THAT is so cool...wearing the too tight clothes... not too tight any more

I have an issue...yesterday I had a fasting blood sugar of 127. Today was 124... I need to switch to just small amounts of meat. I can feel it in my legs and feet. I was already eating low carb, but  now I have dropped off artificial sugar and dairy.

I walked on a tradmill for 30 minutes and that did not affect my blood sugar at ALL!  Still 127 and 124.  I take no meds. I control with diet. My father  had really bad type II . My doc says it is hereditary. I am doing this whole 30, as a way to not have to be on meds...only my BS has gone up instead of down.

Zinniaseed, strange that your blood sugar values are rising with whole30! I have not measured mine, but I have noticed a dramatic change in my feeling. I associate this change to better blood sugar stability: no more hunger rages, and I am not tired after meals. Of course we are individuals, but is there anything in your diet choices that could explain this? A lot of fruits? Not enough fat? Too much fat? Try to find out...

Man, everyone has a cold! Is that part of the deal? All my usual cold remedies contain honey, so I'm having to experiment to find relief. So far, the only thing that has worked is 1/4 tsp turmeric, a lemon wedge, a sprinkle of black pepper and a sprinkle of cayenne steeped in boiling water. But I don't blame you if you don't try it.

Natalie....your cold remedy sounds a little scary! :) I've just been drinking organic white Earl Grey tea. Meh, not the best remedy, but it makes my throat less scratchy.

Okay....food. I actually remember everything I ate today.

Breakfast: we had breakfast potluck at work today....danger, danger, danger. I made a zucchini frittata with tomatoes. I added a little coconut cream to the eggs....it was just a tiny bit too much and the flavor, I thought, was a little too pronounced. It was definitely edible though. I had a large wedge of that, along with a cup of mixed fresh berries.....strawberries, raspberries and blueberries. I ignored all the pastry, the yogurt and the chocolate frosted donuts.

Lunch: there was a going away party for one of my favorite doctors today. More danger. It was a sandwich bar with breads, deli meats (processed), cheeses and all the trimmings. Oh, and brownies, cookies of many varieties, red velvet cupcakes with mile high frosting and some kind of disgusting looking jello concoction with cool whip all over it. I dutifully heated my lunch up....the small leftover wedge of frittata, steamed spinach and sweet potato. Took my first bite of sweet potato, incinerated my mouth, choked, dropped my bowl on the floor and spent the next ten minutes cursing (but just in my head) and coughing. I managed to eat the piece of frittata and five grapes. Yes, I counted. I'm weird that way.

I ate a gorgeous peach on the drive home from work because the soles of my shoes were starting to look interesting.

Dinner: chicken tacos! Okay, I ate faux tacos. Everyone else ate actual tacos. Mine were minus the tortilla - I used big crunchy lettuce leaves instead, and minus the cheese. I made guacamole...that went on top with chopped tomatoes. It was incredible. I may never eat a real taco again.

Cherries for snack.

I'm doing this right, yes? I don't feel in the least bit like I'm missing out on anything. In fact, just the opposite.

Islandgrrl, I would suggest eating more vegies, and try to make your meals big enough that you don't need the snacks. Your breakfast and lunch sound light on in terms of protein and fat!

If you really do need the snack - because you're starving, not just because you're used to having something - try to stick with a mini meal of protein/fats and vegetables instead of a piece of fruit.

It seems that I spend most of the day planning, preparing or eating my meals! It is nice, and luckily I'm on vacation during this whole30. Look at my breakfast! Strange enough, but it was very tasty! Wild rasberries and blueberries with shredded cabbage & olive oil, and a spinach omelette. :rolleyes: I use a lot of spinach because it is growing so well in my garden: big bushes of New Zealand spinach, with thick and tasty dark green leaves. Herbs are also growing beautifully... Love this summer season!

post-33144-0-40691600-1374835022_thumb.j

Sakrima, I have inherited my fathers metabolic syndrome. Exercise did not bring his blood sugar down. It does not bring mine down. Dad had his first stroke at age 48.  At that time he was running 5 miles a day and lifting weights and was not over weight. He did eat margarine and pretzels and junk food ( low fat diet)   A boy cousin of mine died at age 4o from a stroke. Another girl cousin had a stroke at age 25. She was not over weight.

I walk for 30 minutes daily and lift weights 3 days a week.  I also stand up paddle board on Lake michigan for at least three miles a day. ( one hour) If I eat vegetables, my blood sugar gets elevated. I do not eat fruit because it shoots my blood sugar sky high. I do not wish to be on metformin or other diabetic drugs.  I began to eat low glycemic vegetables on the whole thirty.  I had added, Sunday and Monday, salad greens, peppers, cucumbers, cauliflower, zucchini. I ate almonds too. My blood sugar was 130 Tuesday morning. I had paddle boarded Monday evening.

There is nothing in my house to eat that is off plan. Most of my food is in the freezer...grass fed beef , venison , and wild caught salmon. I have a few frozen berries, and I do have salad and a few organic veggies in the fridge. My husband does not have my problem and can eat them. He also drinks red wine. I can't touch that.

I cut out the vegetables for the last two days (Wednesday and Thursday)  with the exception of mushrooms wrapped in naturally smoked bacon (2 of them)  This morning my blood sugar was 81. Thank goodness.

Yesterday, ( Thursday) I had 16 oz water, checked my blood sugar. It was 124. I ate 4 oz of sirloin, black coffee.  At noon I had 3 oz chicken and coconut oil, I had an early dinner. It  was 2 mushrooms wrapped in bacon and 4 oz of sirloin steak. A snack of 3 oz of ground chuck at 8 pm. When I went to bed at 1130 pm my blood sugar was 118. This morning when I woke up it was 81.

The day before,( Wednesday)  my menu was this: water and black coffee at 7 am. Blood sugar of 127. Treadmill for 30 minutes. (recheck blood sugar, still 127) 6 oz of roasted venison. I work at a podiatrist office two days a week..My day to work. I am on my feet running back and forth all day. Noon, I had a can of sardines in olive oil. 2 pm, green tea. 4 pm, 4 oz ground chuck. 7 pm, 2 beef ribs from a crock pot with a rub on them and a half cup of green beans with bacon.. I paddle boarded after work for an hour.  I drank a lot of water. I woke up  the next morning to a blood sugar of 124.

Some days I have to use intermittant fasting. If I eat larger portions of meat my blood sugar goes up. I can eat more fat and it does not raise my blood sugar.  The beauty of a blood sugar meter.  I was using dairy for quite a bit of my fat. It did not raise my blood sugar, but I am finding that dairy was the culprit in my having daily headaches. I joined whole thirty to get help with that.  At this point I do not know if I can be fixed  enough to be able to eat vegetables. When I eat greens my blood sugar goes up to 130. And stays there for two days. I am VERY insulin resistant. I am studying what it takes to improve insulin resistance.

I am 5'5" tall and weigh 168. I have quite a bit of muscle from lifting weights and paddle boarding. I still have belly fat. I am very motivated. By the way, I am 58.

Happy Friday! Today I make the journey back into poultry - gonna try a turkey burger for dinner tonight and am actually looking forward to it. I cannot believe how much energy I have. In the past several months, I would be so tired when I got home from work that it was all I could do to get to bedtime. Now, I get home - am in a great mood, cook dinner and prep for the next day and am enjoying playing with my little girl! Love it.

Zinnia - wow. You really have to be on it. It sounds like you have some sort of handle on it with understanding of what you may be able to have some of and what you have to totally stay away from. Are you under the care of a doctor that you see regularly for this? 

Amberino21, thanks for the advice. The mind shift from, "eat 5 or 6 small meals a day" to "eat three meals a day and don't snack" is really a challenge. I think I'm naturally a grazer - my tendency has always been to have snacks all day. An egg, a banana, a handful of almonds, some blueberries, carrot sticks, green beans. All little individual isolated meals. I never feel too full and I never get starving hungry. But if I do it that way, I eat all. day. long. So I've been eating more at once for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I think you might be right, though, I need to eat more at my meals. That being said....

Today is Day 12! I went for a little over a 3 mile run this morning and beat my record time by at least 3 minutes.

Breakfast was immediately post run: A hard boiled egg, some steamed sweet potato and spinach.

Lunch: chicken taco meat with a pile of fajita style veggies. Cantaloupe and blueberries.

Dinner: I have no idea. Maybe fish. Maybe more chicken tacos. Nom.

I'm definitely feeling better this morning. As I'm sitting here typing, I'm a little shaky, though. I think I need more food.

jicmic...Yes I am under a doctors care., thank you for asking.,..I know my eating looks really radical.   Actually I am very good friends with my doctor. He is at my home weekly.  So I can not get away with anything. He is baffled by my extreem insulin resistance but respects my desire to work at it. My father had a second stroke at age 65. He lived for 14 years with a very low carb diet, like the one I am on. My  mother tested him and fed him accordingly. My doctor said that my father should never have lived so long except for  the Paleo/low carb diet my mother had him on. When I began to have problems, my doc did a miriad of blood tests and told me that I have my fathers genetics. So I began low carbing it. So far, I need to stay under 20 a day.

After I keep my BS's down below 100 for a week, I am going to add raw spinach and go from there. Testing after each thing. My doc says  I need to keep blood sugar between 80 and 100. If I go past 100, I am not controlling it with diet... then I would need meds. My husband's blood sugar never goes past 100 no matter what he eats. Mine flips out.  So here I am. 

Zinniaseeds, does adding fat and/or vinegar to your veggies lessen the blood sugar spike? I've read that they can lower the GI of foods, and I wonder what your experience is with that. Down South we boil greens (turnip, collard, mustard) with bacon or some other fatty cut of pork, then eat them with pepper vinegar. It's comfort food; well, soul food...

Day 13 and I'm feeling great too! Islandgrrl, so glad you got a good night of sleep! I totally understand the overuse of exclamation points!! I'm feeling amazing and my reflux is gone and I'm not having any trouble keeping up with meals. The only problem is that I think some of my meals may be too small, but I'm working on fixing that. I am so glad to feel so healthy and seeing my food in a whole different way. My partner is having a more difficult time, but he wouldn't read the book with me, so I think he's having trouble understanding a lot of things and having a hard time kicking the cravings.

I will admit, I've had more cravings the past couple days than I did early on, I know they will calm down, but the weirdest and grossest things keep entering my thoughts. I just started a new job and I'm already an oddball, but when they hand me a piece of candy for a job well done and then I toss it back into the bucket they all think I'm loony! At least it's keeping my mind and hands busy so I don't think about food as much.

Hope everyone else is doing well! We're almost half way, can you believe it!!

OK... YesterdayI had 2 cups of coffee black and then I ate meat for all three meals...small portions. I added a handful of black olives to lunch.  At dinner I had a handful of cauliflower and two baby carrots with 4 oz of chicken with a very small amount of peppers and onions.. I woke up to 123 blood sugar. Yesterday  at noon..I went to the gym and lifted weights. I did legs and triceps. I drank lots of water.

What is making it so high?

I have had no dairy for two weeks. I eat no fruit, no grain, no beans, no processed food.

Today I ate 4 pieces of bacon and 3 egg yolks. I gave the whites to the dogs. Range free chicken eggs.

I searched a junk yard for three hours trying to find a jack for a my Ranger splash I just bought. It had no jack or the pipe that lowers the tire from under the bed.  So I was climbing all over things trying not to get cut by broken glass, or stung by bees or have mice run out on me...

I ate a small hamberger out at a local bar  near the car/junk  place, with a glass of ice water with a lemon slice.(It had one slice of grilled onion and two sliced mushrooms on it. Dinner was a crock pot  pot roast with nothing added. I ate about 3/4 cup full. I had 6 pistatios..Then I had a about 1/2 cup of coconut milk. done for the night. I should take my BS now before I hit the sack and see if it goes up or down in the night.

Archived