3dayevent

I'm seeking advice about acne!  I've struggled with it over the past two years, and it's been labeled "hormonal".   I have eaten pretty clean over the past three years, but I noticed very little difference in my complexion when I "cheated" and ate something full of dairy, sugar, or grains.  However, I have never been as rigid and consistent as the Whole30 program demands.  This led me to give Whole30 a chance to solve my skin problems.  I would love to clear my skin naturally, without the use of drugs and harsh chemicals.

One of the main reasons that I chose to venture into the Whole30 Program was because I read the success stories and saw that several people saw tremendous results and achieved clearer complexions with Whole30.  The results are amazing!! 

I'm on my eighth day of the Whole30 program and it's that time-of-month.  I noticed new breakouts two days ago, and since then, new breakouts are coming in daily.  I believe that I can attribute this to the time of the month, but the breakout seems to be worse than it has been in the past.  Prior to that, I noticed no skin-clearing results from my first week of Whole30.  

Does anyone have experience with Whole30 and hormonal acne?  If so, when did you start seeing results?  Did it get worse before it got better?  Please share any tips, suggestions, or comments. :)

Thank you,

Caroline

I don't struggle much with acne, but I DID notice hormonal changes.  I've been spotting this whole week despite being on BC and never having had this happen before.  So obviously what I'm eating is affecting my hormones.  I'm guessing it might take awhile for them to even out and for you to see the results you're looking for. 

Hormonal acne duuuh I hear your pain. I have eliminated nuts/nightshades (generally I am close to AIP). I am using all natural skin cleaning/moisturising (like washing face with honey + check skintervention by Liz + Crunchy Betty website). I have been pretty much compliant since Jan 1. When I consistently eat clean my skin is glowing. Clean and good, but diary ruins it all. Deep healing can't be done in a 30 days span, but some persistence will improve it for sure!  

I really recommend taking Green Pastures fermented cod liver oil. It has 100% cleared up my hormonal acne. 

I was doing everything right before....eating clean and using clean organic products on my face, but I would still break out at the same time of my cycle every month. Dallas recommended the fermented cod liver oil and within a few weeks everything was clear. No breakouts at all! 

It's pretty amazing stuff!

I agree with Megan. It helped my keratosis pilaris in a matter of several weeks. The change is mind blowing. However it didn't have much effect on my acne. I wish :(  

3dayevent, keep playing with foods and you'll find the acne triggers for sure. If eliminating nuts is painful soaking them helps big time. 

Hi, actually that was the reason I started the W30.  Terrible Hormonal acne since December... tried everything....  antibiotics, the pill, laser, facials, masks.... and nothing worked... I did W30 on June and didn't see much of a difference.... still l had lots of break outs, but I've been compliant all July and today I can say my skin looks much better! with only 1 or 2 pimples once in a while.  So I am planning on eating this way for ever!!!!

The lady I'm buying my organic meat from, told me she had the same problem for 4 years, and she tried everything (lot more things than I did) then she said the only thing that helped her was acupuncture, and gave me the business card.  I started last week, so will tell you about the results later.  This girl face looks amazing! So I'm trying it on top of eating clean.  She also recommended Benotine Clay (I bought it at the Whole foods market and use it every 3 days) and refrigerated peppermint tea as a facial toner.

Good Luck!

I've been noticing the odd pimple on my arms and back but my face is doing really well.

I have been using milk of magnesia to treat the odd pimple and it has been AMAZING! I used it as a mask for my face the other day and was impressed with the results.

When I get my cycle I usualy break out in my chin area - so far so good. I have also wash my face with oil a couple times a week that has helped greatly with my complexion.

Hope my 'out of the box' ideas help someone :wub:

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hormonal acne has always been a problem for me, breaking out every cycle with 2-4 big pimples in my Tzone--usually forehead, upper lip around my nose and chin.  I am on Day31 today (yay!) and throughout the program I noticed that my acne has been at its worst!  I experienced breakouts every 3 to 4 days. And right now I have three big ones on my chin!  I really thought it would clear up by now.  I'm suspecting i'm one of those people who needs a little more time to detox so I'm giving myself another 2 to 3 weeks to monitor. I did notice though that the rest of my face has a velvety glow about it, and when I do breakout, the pimples' lifecycle seem to be shorter and they heal much faster too.

Thank you for the suggestions on Cod liver oil and soaking nuts.  I will observe my outbreaks more closely when eating nuts, and will probably try the oil if that doesn't work in the next couple of weeks. 

• Moderators

Kristina, skin issues are definitely one of those things that can get worse before getting better. The skin is the last place toxins anywhere in the body show up, and when you're cleaning things up from the inside out, the skin can show the work, so to speak, and then eventually clear up. I encourage you to stay with it! Dairy, soy, caffeine, sugar, nuts, and tomatoes are among common offenders. An anti-inflammatory W30 diet will, in time, show positive effects on your face. In my first crack at it, I saw real improvement in my acne around Day 60.

• 2 weeks later...

Kristina, skin issues are definitely one of those things that can get worse before it gets better. The skin is the last place toxins anywhere in the body show up, and when you're cleaning things up from the inside out, the skin can show the work, so to speak, and then eventually clear up. I encourage you to stay with it! Dairy, soy, caffeine, sugar, nuts, and tomatoes are among common offenders. An anti-inflammatory W30 diet will, in time, show positive effects on your face. In my first crack at it, I saw real improvement in my acne around Day 60.

Hi LadyM, 

It is very encouraging to read this about skin issues. I have embarked on the program to a big extent because it promises skin condition improvemens: thing that I have falied to achieve with topical therapy, accutane and, well, my first Whole 30. 

Nonetheless, now I have more breakouts than before the start of the program (Day 5 for me now), but I have this very strong feeling that it's a purge not an outbreak. And I am getting myself this fish oil everyone is ranting and raving about :-).

I'm on day 12. I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who has had their acne get worse since starting their Whole30. In addition to my acne getting worse, I ended up getting very sick (strep throat at first). I got antibiotics and my strep went away, but several days later it morphed into a cold with cough, aches, green and bloody mucus, nasal drip, and my under arm lymph nodes over night became extremely sore (couldn't lift my arms without pain), inflamed and red. So, I've come to the conclusion that I had a lot of things out of whack in my body and with the changes I've made, the toxins and imbalances are trying to find their way out of my body in every way possible lol! And getting sick in the first place I think was indicative of the hard work my immune system had been doing to repair things, leaving me susceptible to getting sick. Darn opportunistic bacteria ;). I'm hoping this train wreck will have a happy ending. I don't want to have this acne any more. It's embarassing and I need to know what's causing it so I can stop getting zits at 27 years of age!

Archived