Breakfast smoothies

Hi

Been reading some conflicting info around if smoothies are on? I'm starting my first whole30 Monday and want to get it right :)

I do not have time to cook in the mornings or eat at my desk at work so I was planning to make a smoothie up each night.

I am not going to put a heap of fruit in it I was thinking the below.

1/2 can cocnut milk, water, handful frozen berries and perhaps some almond butter?

Smoothies aren't recommended, and yours doesn't fit the meal template (protein, fat,veggies)

You can make plenty of meal 1 options in advance - frittata, leftovers, HB eggs with veggies etc....it's hard getting past the "breakfast" mindset sometimes....but other times, curry (for example) seems perfectly acceptable first thing :)

This is a reply to another thread on smoothies from one of the mods:

Like This

Tom Denham

07 Jun 2013

There are no Whole30 Smoothie recipes. Smoothies are discouraged, although they are not banned during a Whole30. There are multiple problems with smoothies. One is that liquid food digests quicker than whole foods, so a smoothie will not help your body feel full as long as whole foods. That leads to unnecessary hunger or eating more when you did not really need to be eating more. Second is that smoothies don't fit the meal template of a serving of protein, a serving of fat, and a lot of veggies very well. Most smoothies are high in sugar because they include too much fruit and few smoothies include an adequate serving of protein (almond milk just does not measure up to a palm-size portion of roast beef). Third, smoothies are widely embraced as health food, but are not much more healthy than McDonald's fries.

Consequently, this topic is closed. Move along people, there is nothing to see here.

Hi Fabfuture, as Amberino said and Tom explained. smoothies are really, really not recommended on a W30. I found that hard at the beginning because, I was the original green smoothie fan. However, once I got used to eating proper food, I couldn't go back to them, they just don't compare to real food. You really will get the best out of your W30 experience if you stick to the meal template http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf.

It can be daunting to have to prepare a breakfast every morning but so many breakfast ideas are really quick and many can be prepared the night before. If you search the forums for breakfast, you'll find loads of ideas.

By the way, the *this topic is closed* comment was part of Tom's post in that thread, it doesn't mean you can't go on asking questions here. :)  Good luck

Thanks for clearing the last bit up Kirsteen - I'm on my phone and typing/changing a lot is tricky!

We're also green smoothie downers - we were having 2 a day prior to starting our whole 30 on Monday! I can't say ill never have one again, but I can understand why they might not be the best option :)

Funnily enough, after my last W30, I decided I'd try reintroducing a couple of green smoothies and see how I felt. I can honestly say I did not feel good. I had a bit of nausea after it, and despite good fat and protein content (coconut oil and hemp powder) two hours later, I was ravenous and just felt 'bleh' all day. I was really shocked. I tried it twice with the same results. I really will stick to the meal template in future :)

Funnily enough, after my last W30, I decided I'd try reintroducing a couple of green smoothies and see how I felt. I can honestly say I did not feel good. I had a bit of nausea after it, and despite good fat and protein content (coconut oil and hemp powder) two hours later, I was ravenous and just felt 'bleh' all day. I was really shocked. I tried it twice with the same results. I really will stick to the meal template in future :)

That's really interesting to hear, Kirsteen - thank you for the feedback! I guess it comes down to trial and error doesn't it?

:) any tips please share :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Going along with the theme of eating more, cook more!  If you can cook a meal or two this weekend to have in the freezer or fridge, you will thank yourself.  And, anytime you shop and cook, make extra.  Those leftovers can be your breakfasts and your go-to meals at the end of really long days.  You will shop, prep, cook, and be a slave to the kitchen a lot less.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Going along with the theme of eating more, cook more! If you can cook a meal or two this weekend to have in the freezer or fridge, you will thank yourself. And, anytime you shop and cook, make extra. Those leftovers can be your breakfasts and your go-to meals at the end of really long days. You will shop, prep, cook, and be a slave to the kitchen a lot less.

Definitely!!! I make sure that anything freezable (stew, curry, casserole, bolognaise etc) is made in bulk. We still have a weeks worth of dinners in the freezer, and I have meat for 6 more freezable meals, plus another 2 from dinner leftovers! Pre cooking starchy veggies is helpful, and some meat - cooked chicken is fine to freeze!

Oooh thanks all :)

Well all prepared for first day tomorrow! For breakfast I have chopped two hard boiled eggs up, with a tomato, S n P and some extra virgin olive oil also got a kiwi fruit for after :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You can have more veggies too. Shoot for 1-2 cups per meal.

Archived