Accidentally ate sugar on day 27! Need to start over??

I'm on day 27!! :) I made kombucha for my first time. There was about 2 gallons of water, 10 tea bags, and 2 cups of sugar (for the SCOBY to eat as it brews, not to sweeten it for me;))

Well, I wasn't thinking....I taste tested a tablespoon when it was done to make sure it cooled enough for me to put the SCOBY in. Then it hit me.....sugar! I just ate sugar, oh noooooo!!

Does this technically mean I have to start over now?? One positive note - I have been addicted to sugar. But now, this taste of sugar in my mouth from tasting the sugary tea is disgusting. Progress! ;-) But, do I need to start over my Whole30?

Thanks for your help!

I would just call it an "early reintro" of sugar, and make note of any adverse impacts. Great job making it to day 27!  :)

ps. my kombucha recipe has 1 cup of sugar for that much water...you might consider cutting back a bit or brewing longer to mitigate.

Thanks Jillian! I'm done with Whole30 now. Finished on Tuesday! :-D Yayyyyy!! BUT....I'm keeping on! Have really loved it and going to try to make this a lifestyle change with little to no reintroduction of everything I've eliminated for Whole30. So happy to know, though, that a little bit of accidental sugar won't ruin my efforts! Thanks! :-D

Archived