Long distance runners in tune with their body

I'm going to start journaling this but I wanted to get thoughts from other distance runners who are in tune with their body... Yes, we all know and are aware of the articles & studies saying steady state endurance exercise hinders fat loss and whatnot. I'm not interested in all that stuff... What I'm wondering is, do other distance runners notice if they hold onto extra water/bloat on the day of and the day after their long runs? I haven't paid much attention to it (which is why I'm going to start journaling this), so I'm not sure if its diet related (I'm post-W30 and off-roaded with some ice cream last night) or if its my body reacting to having run 14 miles yesterday (or even a combo of both factors).

Huh...I never noticed but will pay attention. Bloating and water retention seem totally random, probably not though. One amazing trick for helping with long run recovery is to go out for a short, fast (race pace for 10 minutes) run in the evening of the day you did your long run. Might help with any fluid retention brought on by post-long run refueling.

Huh I've never heard of that short fast run in the evening. Gosh that would mean another shower.  ;)

Back when I was weighing myself every day I almost always weighed more the day after my long run and I've always attributed that to water retention. The reason for it I have heard has to do with your muscles replenishing the glycogen you depleted. It is more obvious after a long run because we generally burn through the entire stores.

I have found that I recover from long runs much better since switching over to a paleo lifestyle. 

Thanks... Yeah, that 10min run trick sounds interesting. I have 15 this Saturday so I might have to give it a try.

The glycogen theory makes sense... I've kind of considered too that I'm holding onto weight the next day because something to do with my body going into something similar to starvation mode where it's just holding onto everything I put into it. It's kind of frustrating.

I'll be journaling how I feel the next day after long runs to see if there's any truth to my theory, and I'll probably (hopefully) give that 10min run trick a try! I wonder if it just allows glycogen to store back up through the day and then depletes some again during that final quick run?

My husband and I both went 22 miles yesterday (I walked the last 2 of mine as I was only meant to go 20 but got a bit lost).  He's the better runner and a lot more fit than me, but I've recovered a lot better.  (Of course, he somehow thought he could do his run on 500mL of water... whereas I called into Starbucks, the Leisure Centre and the park for refills)

I've never noticed water retention or bloat, but it's not something I've been looking for either.  Though I do weigh more today then I did yesterday... I just attributed that to eating too much afterwards. (We hobbled the mile to the pub with the all-you-can-eat buffet and bottomless soft drinks for the husband)

Archived