Coffee

I am ready to explore "good" coffee.  My husband will drink just about anything if it is convenient.  He drinks from a K-cup machine at home and a Starbucks machine at work.  He prefers lighter roasts and often drinks breakfast blends.  We do have a chemex and a burr mill.  What we don't have is really good, sustainable, ethical coffee.

Anyone have any tips or leads?

Counter Culture introduced me to the idea of wonderful coffee without the need for sweeteners or creamers (and to the concept of tasting notes other than "bitter" applying to coffee).  Their website has information on sustainability and their direct trade programs. 

I'm not sure if all Fresh Markets carry their coffee, but I have seen it in ones local to me, although IIRC you can get a $5 coupon by signing up for Counter Culture's email newsletter, which covers the cost of shipping on an order.

I've been able to find a few k-cups on Amazon that are fair-trade and organic. For the stuff I make at home I shop at a local food co-op and all their whole bean coffees are fair-trade, shade grown, and organic. I've been able to find at least one or two that fit all 3 criteria at a conventional store too.

Archived