How do I explain?

jmh

How do I explain what I am doing and why I don't eat certain things anymore? I went to an impromptu neighborhood picnic and did not have time to make a whole30 dish. I get to the picnic and they had hamburgers, hot dogs, bbq chicken, cheese stuffed bacon wrapped chicken, pasta salad, chips, cake and ice cream. So I get a hamburger and put it on a plate. My neighbor says "Don't you want bread or anything else?" to which I reply "Thanks, but I can't eat that stuff" Then my husband says "It's not that you can't you just don't". My husband is really very supportive but I believe that if I would continue eating the way I was that would be bad for my health, so if I want to be healthy I really can't eat that crap. So I get my hamburger on a plate and cut it open and I see cheese in the middle. So I am sitting there with uneaten meat on my plate. Fun:) I have a family party on my in-laws side coming up on Saturday and the hosts are vegetarian and the menu is pizza, cake and ice cream. Do I bring my own food or just eat before I go and while everyone is eating just sit there? How do I tell people what I am doing without preaching to them or making them feel like I look down on their food choices? I love to tell people about it when they ask but some people just don't want to hear about it. Any advice?? I'm pretty new to this:)

You can eat what you want without preaching about it.

Bring a dish that's compliant for you to the party. Maybe a plate of cut up raw veggies with some homemade paleo mayo or guacamole dip? Eat a compliant meal before you head to the party, that way you're full. If you feel like snacking, you can eat what you brought.  

If people ask you why you're not eating pizza, tell them you're eliminating certain foods, including bread, for 30 days to see if they bother you, as some types of foods can cause inflammation for some folks.  If they ask more, you can tell them more in an educational way, without pushing it on them or insulting their food choices.

If no one asks, then you don't need to say anything.

I don't remember where I read it, but someone, somewhere on this site said something to the effect of "if you had a gluten intolerance or food allergy, you wouldn't think twice about bringing food that was safe or feel awkward about explaining why you aren't eating certain foods"

I totally agree with that comment! It's nobody's business why you don't eat something. A simple "I prefer to eat whole, unprocessed foods" is all you need.

I always bring something compliant that has protein when I go to a party or BBQ. More often than not, I get loads of compliments and requests for the recipe and nobody asks why I'm not eating everything else. I could always say "why would I eat anything else when I can eat this!"

Don't feel bad about your decision to eat good food! Own it! Be happy about it! Screw everyone else's opinions! Yours is the only one that matters!

I'd eat before I went and not eat while there. If they asked why, I'd just say I wasn't really hungry. (Which is true bc I just ate. ;) )

I don't try to explain. If they ask, I tell them I follow a whole foods type of diet.

My dh is supportive too. He will make it uncomfortable. We went for burgers on the grill at my in laws and my dh pulled out my mil stuff and fried me some eggs and cut some avocado for me bc he knew I wouldn't want to eat or get full from a couple plain patties. Neither of us have ever used her kitchen in the 22 years we've been together. I would have never said a word much less fried an egg in her kitchen. Granted we cleaned it all up too. Still. It was soooo awkward.

Thanks for the great ideas! I love the idea of picking up a veggie tray because with the picnic there was not time to make anything and I am staying with family a week before the birthday so I can't really take over their kitchen:) That is something I can pick up quickly without any preparation.

I don't try to explain. If they ask, I tell them I follow a whole foods type of diet.

I love the above statement because it is simple, short and explains what I am doing without saying everything I'm not doing. Thanks:)

Don't feel bad about your decision to eat good food! Own it! Be happy about it! Screw everyone else's opinions! Yours is the only one that matters!

Thank you! I have to remember that sometimes. I'm totally new at this but I love it so much. I plan on eating this way indefinitely if I can. I am just figuring out how to do the forum and it has really helped to get ideas from everyone:) 

Archived